Rhubarb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I just moved and their is a Rhubarb plant. I have been told that you don't pick all the stakes or you will kill it. I have been told to wait until their 10 inches. What I would like to know is can I pick some and freeze them and later pick some more. May get more that way.

Ta. Years since I had Rhubarb.

I'm sure you can freeze it. Grocery stores sell frozen rhubarb. I imagine it should be parblanched before freezing. The texture will change when it's frozen.

As rhubarb is usually made into jellies, jams, and pies, or a sauce, place your rhubarb into a pot, covered with water. Cook unit tender. Add sugar and reduce to a medium thick sauce. Let cool and put into freezer-safe containers. Use in recipes.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As rhubarb is usually made into jellies, jams, and pies, or a sauce, place your rhubarb into a pot, covered with water. Cook unit tender. Add sugar and reduce to a medium thick sauce. Let cool and put into freezer-safe containers. Use in recipes.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Otuatail was asking about freezing a few stalks as they are ready to harvest. Cooking each batch of three stalks into a sauce sounds like a lot of excess work to me. I personally, would really prefer doing larger batches, all at once.

Now that I think about it. I think it would be a good idea to wash, dry and freeze one or two stalks and then defrost them a few days or a week later and see if what you get is usable.

I've frozen rhubarb for years.

Take a sharp long knife to the garden with you. Pull stalks, as many as you think are ready. Go to compost and/or garbage bin. Hold one stalk at a time out in front of you. Whack off in a quick motion the top (green leaf). Clean up is done!

Go to kitchen with the now topless stalks, wash any dirt off (there typically is very little, if any). Chop stalks into approx 1 inch pieces, bag in 2 cup increments, freeze.

Done.

I use them frozen. Let bag(s) defrost on counter just until they separate and you can move them around in the bag. They are ready to use in any recipe you want.

Back
Top Bottom