Rolling Boil??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you can get a rolling boil on medium low on most stoves. On my stove, I can get a simmer and a bit more activity if I put a lid on the pot, when it's on medium low.

Last edited:
Perhaps they mean return to medium heat after it reaches a boil.

I agree with taxy, depends on your stove, you should be able to with a lid on, just takes a lot longer.

It depends a lot on the size of the pot and the power of the burner. The rolling boil is the important part of that instruction, not the setting on the stove knob.

It's a gummy candy recipe. It doesn't say anything about reducing heat after the rolling boil. Just pour into measuring cup, add flavor and color, and let cool 10 minutes before pouring into molds.

Because it is for candy (which btw I do not make but listening back to my mom) I take it you are not holding it at that boil? Just bring to the boil and take off the heat?

I'm guessing reason is NOT to walk away!

It will come to the boil faster with the lid on but also as soon as it starts to boil, as I'm sure you already know!, it immediately starts to climb up the pot - to boil over.

Perhaps they are trying to avoid that and the rising temp which could likely make your candy too hard/crystalize/and or just plain not gummy!

When I first did recipe I only got it up to a light simmer and the results were much better consistency wise. Last version was much firmer.

Back
Top Bottom