Salota - Soup made from lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
There was a thread started here on the forum, couple weeks ago, where the OP asked about what to do with extra Boston lettuce.

And here is my answer :)

I happen to be a soup fanatic and I also enjoy trying old recipe.

This one is likely 100+ years old and it's still popular to this day. It comes from the Goral region that lies at the border between Slovak republic and Poland... and my mother happens to come from this part of the world.

This is what it looks like when served:

BJ5so5j.jpg

This soup is cooked from soured milk so it's naturally sour in taste. This might not be for everyone but I totally love it.

Let me share a video of how I made it, then I will list the ingredients and instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRPMCw7GW88&t=8s

Ingredients:

1 head iceberg, green ice or Boston lettuce
2l (8 cups) soured milk or buttermilk
200g (7oz) bacon
200ml (approx. 1 cup) mlieko
200ml (approx. 1 cup) heavy cream
4 tbsp. all purpose flour (finely grained)
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Cut the lettuce into smaller chunks, salt and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. You can use iceberg, green ice or Boston lettuce.
2. Fry diced bacon until it starts to brown and becomes crispy on the outside.
3. In a larger pot, bring the soured milk (buttermilk) to a boil. Once the lumps form, strain them away.
4. Mix the heavy cream and milk with flour.
5. Add 2/3 of the fried bacon along with the milk&cream&flour mix into the pot. Stir properly and bring to a boil.
6. In with the lettuce chunks. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 more minutes.
7. Serve with boiled potatoes and the fried bacon on top. Garnish with chives or spring onions.

If anyone tries to make this, please post how you liked it :)

I was skeptical when I read this post - then I watched your video. Looks great and I'm pretty sure I will be trying it.

Won't be right away but goodness! Looks easy too! Well done!

So thank you for posting!

I'll be checking out your other video recipes too!

I was skeptical when I read this post - then I watched your video. Looks great and I'm pretty sure I will be trying it.

Try it and let me know :) It's definitely not for everyone, some people might be turned away by the sour taste but I really love it. And the combination of the boiled potato, salty bacon bits and the soup itself really goes well together in my opinion :)

And not to forget that you can make your own homemade curd at the same time :)

Last edited:
Curd! yum! Absolutely, you have to try it on top of hot french fries with gravy.

We call it Poutine - it is a favourite in Quebec, Canada. The gravy is hard to duplicate, nobody seems to be able to match and compare the Poutine from our favourite fast food joint called La Belle Province!

LOL a combination of greasy french fries, gravy (made with mix of chicken/beef/spices)and curds melting, long strings of squeaky (on your teeth) cheese!

Ditto but it does sound intriguing! Seems like a nice, hearty dish for a chilly spring evening. My husband's ancestors came from Poland, although I'm not sure where exactly.

Do you have a recipe for a Polish dill pickle soup? I had some at a Polish restaurant near Detroit years ago. I've seen recipes for it, but it would be great to have one from someone who grew up with it.

And yes, you must try poutine! Mmmmm [emoji16]

Ditto but it does sound intriguing! Seems like a nice, hearty dish for a chilly spring evening. My husband's ancestors came from Poland, although I'm not sure where exactly.

Nice, maybe they lived close to our border then :)

Do you have a recipe for a Polish dill pickle soup? I had some at a Polish restaurant near Detroit years ago. I've seen recipes for it, but it would be great to have one from someone who grew up with it.

Never heard of a pickle soup to be honest, we do have a creamy dill soup with potatoes here in Slovakia, but as far as I know we don't use pickles in soups at all. I love them as a side for any meat based dish or a casserole etc... I can even eat them alone, especially when they're small and crunchy :)

And yes, you must try poutine! Mmmmm [emoji16]

Looking forward to it, I've seen a few videos of people making it, sounds like something I might actually enjoy a lot.

In 2004 a cousin and I took a trip to Derbyshire and Yorkshire in the UK. We had rented a self-catering cottage. The owner lived next door and invited us to dinner one evening. She served lettuce soup with lettuce from her garden. It was delicious, but that is all I can remember of the soup because I could not take my eyes off her Aga stove..

because I could not take my eyes off her Aga stove..

Now this part of your reply officially makes you an ADULT or cooking addict :)

While reading it, I was totally expecting something like... I coulnd't take my eyes off her "daughter" or something like that and then bang, it was a stove :) :ROFLMAO:

When building one of my houses and starting to get into cooking I discovered Aga. I was hooked! Supposedly they are not that popular in Sweden anymore, (awk!) but I was all set to get one... until I saw the price... LOL a little over my budget.

I was even looking at an "Add-On" they had, slim oven and one maybe two burners on top - and even that was over my budget!

If only I could win the Lotto but, oh yeah, yuh have to buy tickets, don't yuh.

When building one of my houses and starting to get into cooking I discovered Aga. I was hooked! Supposedly they are not that popular in Sweden anymore, (awk!) but I was all set to get one... until I saw the price... LOL a little over my budget.

I was even looking at an "Add-On" they had, slim oven and one maybe two burners on top - and even that was over my budget!

If only I could win the Lotto but, oh yeah, yuh have to buy tickets, don't yuh.

Holly Sh... I just looked up the price, that's really not cheap :)

Looks very interesting! Plus the bacon and potatoes. My two basic food groups.

��������

I love soups. Honestly, I don't believe I have had a soup that I did not like. I've got to try the lettuce soup at some point. It sounds interesting and good.

A soup I had that I have not been able to find is a chilled cream of watercress soup. I've found recipes, but none that were as delicious as the one I had in a restaurant once-upon-a-time.

The Aga stove is gorgeous!!!

I love soups. Honestly, I don't believe I have had a soup that I did not like.

I'm the same, I totally love soups :) There are two types that I cannot eat though... one is made from Hokkaido pumpkins and the other one is a strong cream of broccoli soup.

It's weird though, because I actually love the taste of both, but after a few spoons I have to stop as I start to feel like throwing up. I might have some allergy or what, it's weird.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom