Memorial Day Dinner 5-31-2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's definitely not cookout weather here today, so we'll wait till later this week. Instead, we had creamy chicken broccoli soup with sandwiches. I sliced some of last night's ham, paired it with a cheddar cheese that was blended with caramelized onions, and toasted the sandwiches on the Griddler. I was going to make clafoutis for dessert, but we have no room for dessert. Guess I'll make it tomorrow...
IMG_20210531_205608411.jpg

We were invited to a last-minute potluck cookout at our neighbor's across the street, along with several other nearby neighbors. She provided burgers, dogs and brats; I brought baked beans, another neighbor brought mac n cheese and another brought salad. It was a wonderful day after heavy rain most of the weekend.

We were talking and laughing so much I completely forgot to take pictures. Hope you all had a nice weekend. Can't believe it's almost June.

Looks yummy CG!

IMG_0619.jpg

We had a Late Spring/Early Summer Rain-Thunderstorm pass us by,
so grilling was a GO!

We had Kettle Chips on the side and Henry Weinhart Root beer for DH and TJ's Dark Beer for moi to wash it all down with.
The nice thing about grilling `burgers and dawgs for us two is
a pound of ground Chuck makes 4 patties and a package of Vienna Brand Hot Dogs serves us twice!
The patties will be Local-Style Hamburger Steak Plate
and the dogs, well, maybe lunch in a coupla days ;)

I got Waffle Cones and Vanilla Ice Cream for later :clap:

Bacon, honey rubbed ribs...

39817-albums888-picture8661.jpg
[/IMG]

Family get-together, the usual fare: burgers (with all the fixin's), dogs, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, a relish plate, chips & dip and a beautiful peach cobbler for dessert. The boys (my son and his cousins) even got into the pool, although the water was only 66 degrees.

Crazy kids! :LOL:

Today I threw together a dish in the Instant Pot, not a one dish meal, but much of it done in there. I first cooked a cup of sorghum berries under pressure, then drained them. Meanwhile, I made a sauce in a sauté pan, starting with browning some onions in olive oil, then some crushed garlic, along with some gochujang for 2 minutes, then I added a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. I stirred in about 2 tb of minced fresh marjoram, 2 tb chopped anchovies, plus 2 fresh bay leaves, and a quarter cup of dry vermouth. I also stirred in about 2 cups of some large radishes that I had peeled, and cut into bite sized pieces - sort of like adding turnips to the dish. I simmered this on very low, while doing the rest of the dish.

I drained the sorghum (still chewy now), then added that to the tomato sauce, with a cup of the cooking water, to simmer. Then I cooked 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage in the IP, on high sauté, and at the end (very little fat cooked out, surprisingly), I cooked up a diced up green bell pepper.

When the sauce was pretty much finished, I dumped it in the IP, added 3 c water, brought it to a boil on high sauté, turned it off, added 1 lb bow tie pasta, stirred it well, and pressed it all under the surface. I set it for 5 min manual, and when finished, released the pressure. After this, the pasta and the sorghum are done, and al dente. I stirred it up, and served some, with a little grated pecorino.
Italian style pasta dish, made in the Instant Pot. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Family dinner @ D & SIL's.

Grandson grilled tri tip, D baked bread, SIL's mom baked cheesy potatoes, Jeannie made a green salad, SIL grilled a veggie assortment. :chef:

Me? I picked up a White Chocolate/Raspberry cake at the local Bundt Bake shop. :yum: ;)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom