Solar Cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
Built the first one 40 years ago, for my mother who didn't want to use the oven on hot days. When she died, I got it back and still have it. The reflective stuff is from a discarded wildfire shelter.

Lu9gxic.jpg

Here's a similar one built for a recycling contest (it won). The top is polycarbonate instead of glass.

p35hYKB.jpg

GoSun sells a range of solar stuff. Here's their Pro Cooker, based on an evacuated glass tube originally designed for heating water. I built a simple mount to aim it sunwards.

XGAR3u7.jpg

Bought a kit and built a reflector with a plastic bucket.

BRsC8Sc.jpg

Just got a GoSun Fusion cooker, which is larger and has an electric element so it works after dark or on cloudy days, powered by a battery.

oaBnmB9.jpg

Loading it with stuffed red bell peppers and rice, which cook in a bit over an hour.

NdLY5eH.jpg

Using the Parabolic equation, and graph paper, you could draw a parabola with the focal point where you needed it, transfer it to wood, cut it with a jig, or scroll saw, and use reflective Mylar film to increase your solar oven's heat potential greatly. Here's an interactive link for the solar equation - https://www.mathwarehouse.com/quadratic/parabola/interactive-parabola.php

Nother version of the same - https://www.mathwarehouse.com/quadratic/parabola/interactive-parabola.php

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
You should build one. On another forum, someone asked if there was a solar pizza oven available. I remembered a portable oven/pizza cooker I have that fits on a backpacking stove.
IwtCdOy.jpg

Out the window is a small satellite dish that's no longer in use: a circular parabolic reflector. It could be easily covered with heavy-duty foil. With a dense, heat-absorbing base (a circular cast-iron griddle) and a means to adjust the height/focus, it might make a good solar pizza oven.

I love this sort of crazy improvised stuff.

Back
Top Bottom