Question on freezing a sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I made this sauce from a Lidia Bastianich cook book and liked it.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a4582/annas-spaghetti-pesto-trapanese-recipe/

Basically its a pesto made of blending Cherry tomatoes , toasted almonds, basil, garlic, pepper flakes and some salt to a paste. Then add olive oil and continue to blend ( season accordingly).

I have a lot of cherry/ grape tomatoes, and this recipe will use up a bunch, but if I have to eat the sauce with in a few days of making it ( which is what the recipe says if refrigerated ), then no point in making it for storage purposes.

So, do you thing this sauce could be frozen/ thawed successfully for later use?

I would do it. It's not like potatoes which might leak water later. Sauces can usually be frozen, and then if they separate, whipped with a whip, to bring back the texture. I've frozen mushroom gravy thickened with flour, which separates, but can be whipped into shape when heated.

Yes, I think you can freeze it. We just ate the last of last summer's cherry tomato sauce -- it had been frozen since last September.

After looking at the link, and noticing that the tomatoes were blended along with the other ingredients, I agree that this sauce would freeze well. If the oil separates out, a blender, or stick blender will make it as good as fresh. of course, if you're freezing the pasta, I would do that separately from the sauce, and with a touch of olive oil to cot the noodles.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom