Is it normal for new cotton towel to shed hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I bought a few new towel made of 100% cotton, as seen on its label, as soon as I dried my body with it quite a large amount of hair came off and stayed on my body. Is it normal? Or should I soak it and machine wash it before first use? I didn't wash or soak it. Or is it because of poor quality? Since I've lost the invoice I have hard time asking for refund but if it's not normal I will still try to file a complaint

I would definitely, thoroughly and vigorously, wash the remaining towels that you have. Of course, the one you used as well.

Whether or not you have the bill, I don't think it is the store that you should be complaining to but the manufacturer.

You should let them know you think it advisable they put a warning to pre-wash their goods, or preferably, do it themselves.

I would definitely, thoroughly and vigorously, wash the remaining towels that you have. Of course, the one you used as well.

Whether or not you have the bill, I don't think it is the store that you should be complaining to but the manufacturer.

You should let them know you think it advisable they put a warning to pre-wash their goods, or preferably, do it themselves.

but is it normal or common to shed hair from new and unwashed cotton towel

a) Whether or not you have the bill, I don't think it is the store that you should be complaining to but the manufacturer.

b) You should let them know you think it advisable they put a warning to pre-wash their goods, or preferably, do it themselves.

but is it normal or common to shed hair from new and unwashed cotton towel

As GG has said, it is common to a certain extent.

But from your post you sound like it was more than usual. Not being able to see the towels and the shedding we can't very well judge what to you or us is normal or not normal. It's a concept that each person will see differently.

a) As I said above, if you personally think it is not normal, complain, and b) you are being helpful to them by suggesting a solution to the problem.

and last but not least - I've suggested (again as has GG) - solve your immediate dilemma now by thoroughly washing them.

Solved

When you wrote "quite a bit of hair came off..." I initially though that your hair came off. Then I realized that it was the lint from the towel.

All cotton towels shed lint the first few times you use one, some more than others. It's best to wash new towels before you use them. One of the towels I bought when we moved in to our current house was so fluffy and linty that Himself looked like he had rolled in feathers the first time he used it. 20 years later that towel is just as fluffy and absorbs water as if it was new, even though it's used often.

CG - I had to read Kenny's post twice as I thought the same thing! LOL

Now you see Kenny - if you were bald you would be wanting to buy more towels, no? :LOL:

Someone my DH knew had worked in a warehouse. He said to always wash new clothing and other fabric items before using them. "You don't want to know what's in a warehouse. Shudder."

Back
Top Bottom