Canning Potatoes- dry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PDA1

Assistant Cook
Hello All,

I'm new to pressure canning and canning in particular.

'Just dug up this season's Yukon Gold potatoes and would like to can them. But, DO NOT want to peel them (I'm old enough and will be way beyond what actuaries say my life expectancy is if I have to peel them). No, I don't want to store them as they are now.

The immediate questions;

- Is dry canning an acceptable method for canning potatoes while leaving the skins on?

- How have been your results in doing so?

-Besides salt should I add other ingredients?

What are your ideas concerning these questions?

Thank you,

Peter

Last edited:
Some people on this site can using safe methods, some don't can at all, it is a cooking site and mostly they don't.

Not peeling, not safe.
Dry canning, not safe.
Salt or no salt, doesn't matter.

You might want to search google for 'canning potatoes university extension', this will give you university sites with canning instructions and if you are lucky you'll run across why you need to peel and dry canning is not acceptable/safe.

There are better places to ask these questions. If you are on Facebook join a canning group and ask your questions. This one is a very good one. https://www.facebook.com/groups/115527902373035
There are many other homesteading and canning websites that will cover your questions.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

What is dry canning?

For instructions on how to safely pressure can potatoes, check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation at nchfp.uga.edu

Plenty of people have dry canned and are still alive to tell about it. Same too with not peeling. Often we determine things by consensus and this seems to be the case with potatoes. Thus I'm trying write to someone with actual experience instead some video you"tuber" (that's a hidden joke). It's often a huge waste of time to hear those blabber-mouths yakking forever without getting to the point.

Oh well...I guess it's back to drawing board?

Last edited:
Hi PDA. I have never heard of dry canning so I had to look it up. I didn't check every link that popped up, but all on the top page said, in summary, DON'T.

One explanation on why it isn't good for dry items (beans, nuts, etc): https://aces.nmsu.edu/covid19/canning-dried-food.html

One explanation on why it's a very bad idea for foods with moisture such as potatoes: https://extension.psu.edu/say-no-to-oven-canning

While I have done limited canning, this method sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Dry canning is done with some things commercially, but they have different equipment, obviously, and the cans (or rather, jars) we are using are also different. I never see dry canned commercial products in glass - maybe for the dry products they use a higher temp, and cook them in the metal cans?

Last edited:
OK - here´s a question.
Potatoes can last for months, in a cool, dark place. Why would you want to can them? How many pounds/kilos of potatoes are you talking about? In the UK, my dad used to buy 2 50 pound sacks of potatoes and keep them in an "outhouse". They´d last for months.

Dry canning is done with some things commercially, but they have different equipment, obviously, and the cans (or rather, jars) we are using are also different. I never see dry canned commercial products in glass - maybe for the dry products they use a higher temp, and cook them in the metal cans?

7ef.jpg

OK - here´s a question.
Potatoes can last for months, in a cool, dark place. Why would you want to can them? How many pounds/kilos of potatoes are you talking about? In the UK, my dad used to buy 2 50 pound sacks of potatoes and keep them in an "outhouse". They´d last for months.

1- Because I want to and "months" aren't "years". (give a man a canner and everything he sees needs canning).

Ok...ok....here're some examples of canning with skins on....

Canning potatoes with skins on
https://youtu.be/kIwzrtpcrIg
https://youtu.be/yuGxdxVEueQ

Dry canning potatoes
https://youtu.be/8nxQu4O1xq4

So, you're new to canning and pressure-canning and you don't want to follow the safety procedures developed by an agency tasked with doing that. We are not going to tell you that what you want to do is okay, so I'm not sure what you want from us.

Last edited:
So, you're new to canning and pressure-canning and you don't want to follow the safety procedures developed by an agency tasked with doing that. We are not going to tell you it's okay, so I'm not sure what you want from us.

Read my first post. That tells you.

I've canned hundreds of quarts of freshly dug potatoes. The skins of Yukon Gold potatoes are thin, smooth and wash easily. We never peeled the potatoes, just scrub really well. Add water and salt to the cut up potatoes and pressure can.

The reason to can potatoes for us was to keep wheelbarrows loads of potatoes we grew and the fact we did not have a good place to store, quality wise. We could not keep them long.

PDA1, please explain what you mean by "dry canning".

I assumed that you meant you wanted to pressure can the potatoes without adding any liquid to the potatoes in the jars. I just found out that "dry canning" can mean to can in the oven as opposed to using water, as one would with water bath canning, pressure canning, or atmospheric steam canning.

I watched one of the videos that you linked to. So, I guess you mean that you want to pressure can the potatoes, but you don't want to add liquid to the inside of the jar with the potatoes. Is that assumption correct? If so, is there are reason that you don't want to add water to the jars?

I've canned hundreds of quarts of freshly dug potatoes. The skins of Yukon Gold potatoes are thin, smooth and wash easily. We never peeled the potatoes, just scrub really well. Add water and salt to the cut up potatoes and pressure can.

The reason to can potatoes for us was to keep wheelbarrows loads of potatoes we grew and the fact we did not have a good place to store, quality wise. We could not keep them long.

Well, whataya know! Thank you for being the voice of reason and experience!

Back
Top Bottom