Wednesday's Dinner Thread 9/8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Shrimp & Pasta with Vodka Sauce, Garlic Toasted Kaiser roll ...

Shrimp Pasta , Vodka Sauce.jpg

Trying to come up with something different, I whipped up a tomato sauce with Italian sausage. I served it over spaghetti with steamed broccoli on the side (the broccoli didn't make the photo shoot).

4D8C7818-F4AE-415F-86C8-D007A75C8149_1_105_c.jpg

I'm trying the Crock Pot Baked Potato recipe. In an effort to find something to go with the taters, I pulled some Lamb Chops out of the freezer. I'll season them with Montreal Steak seasoning & throw them on the grill.

Scrambled eggs with cubed ham and shredded cheese, peanut butter toast, salad, watermelon, dark chocolate w/sea salt mini bar.

I finally got around to making spaghetti carbonara the authentic way. I re-watched the second two videos in this post: https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/how-to-make-carbonara-107768.html#post1658391. I didn't have any guanciale or even any pancetta, so I used bacon lardons. It was delicious. I made a mess. It will undoubtedly get easier with practice. The plating shows some of the mess. I served it with a salad with homemade vinaigrette.

Spaghetti carbonara.jpg

Spaghetti carbonara and a salad.jpg

Oh, good memories, taxlady! I learned to make spaghetti carbonara from an old boss of mine. He spent many years in Italy and traveled around Europe as a AAA critic for restaurants and hotels. He could cook well! He taught me to make it on our lunch hour, one day. It is a go-to comfort food for me.

Had an eggplant that didn't get used, and noticed a recipe in the NY Times for a spiced eggplant dish, which I used as the start. The eggplant was cubed and browned in olive oil. Added minced garlic, a serrano pepper, and garam masala. Chopped ripe tomatoes, about 1-1/2 cups, and added them. When they were well stewed, I pressed hollows into the stuff and cracked eggs into them, lowered the heat, then covered the skillet.

When the eggs were soft-cooked, I sprinkled it with roasted pecans, garam masala, and lemon zest, then garnished it with small basil leaves.

FxLg2hm.jpg

Served with warm tortillas in lieu of naan.

nZzVSaq.jpg

Glass of Airlie Seven white blend from Oregon.

Last edited:
I didn't have enough spoons to cook last night, so DH heated up a frozen PF Chang's dinner - sweet and sour chicken over rice. We doctored it up with some Sriracha and toasted sesame seeds.
20210908_200020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom