Canning safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flippity_01

Assistant Cook
Started making some tomato sauce yesterday with the intention of cooking and a canning it all at one day.

Something came up, causing me to need to stop my process, and I wasn't able to reduce the sauce as far as I wanted.
I did my best to cool the sauce with the hope of coming back to finish it today but I'm concerned that cooling/reheating the sauce may pose some safety issues.

Is there anything I should be concerned about, or any things I can do to mitigate any potential safety hazards before canning this sauce?

Or should I just finish it and freeze it...?

I don't know what the official answer is.......if you cooled it and put it in the refrigerator overnight, then I'd just be sure it comes back to a boil. Since you are reducing it, you'll be bringing it back to a boil before canning.

Thanks. I was worried because I think it took longer to cool that I would have liked. I also agree that it's going to boil for a couple more hours, so anything problematic will be killed

As long as it was put in the fridge, no problem.
I guess I´ve canned over half a million products in my life ( mostly jams, jellies, chutneys, pickles,salsas, etc) and I never had a problem.
You´ll be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom