What is the tableware commonly made of Melamine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I didn't know about Melamine until I looked at the label of a pair of shiny and attractive chopsticks in a store, then I searched on Google and found that it is cheap, durable but its safety remains concern, at least it has to be handled with care. I'd like to know if ceramic is really this expensive so manufacturers resort to using Melamine, and I'd like to know what is the kind of tableware that is commonly made of Melamine? mainly chopsticks? I have been heating up my ceramic bowls for long time, now I am worried that they are not actually ceramic but Melamine....

Melamine is made into plates, bowls, from individual size to serving size. I would not put it in the microwave.

I grew up with melamine plates and bowls. My mother used it as the everyday plates. One big advantage is that they don't break when they are dropped on the floor. My mother never heated them. They were only used to serve food on. For special occasions or when there were guests, she would take out the porcelain. The melamine was very useful with kids using it. It wasn't going to fool anyone that it was porcelain.

Melamine is a plastic. I can't imagine they would be harmful in chop sticks.

Reliable sources suggest that Melamine shouldn't be heated, since it is intended to be made similar to ceramic so I hope to know how to distinguish Melamine from ceramic

Reliable sources suggest that Melamine shouldn't be heated, since it is intended to be made similar to ceramic so I hope to know how to distinguish Melamine from ceramic

Don't use melamine chopsticks for cooking. They should be fine fore eating with.

Back
Top Bottom