ISO Gyro Meat Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Although hectically made with lamb, I will be using Montana antelope for this. Does anyone have a great recipe, and technique for Gyro meat, that doesn't require a vertical rotisserie?

My son harvested an antelope this morning. I've been vacuum sealing, and grinding meat all day as he butchers it.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There are a lot of recipes that call for ground meat for gyros. Making a meatloaf kind of dish...and it is all about the spices and the add-ons that make it gyro, I guess? I make something similar with my EasyKabob that tastes very Middle Eastern to me. Believe it or not, I use Montreal Seasoning, Garlic Powder and Cumin. It wasn't my intention, but when we tried it, it certainly had that flavor.

Thanks everyone. These all look great, and use pretty much the same seasonings. Most call for the meat to be almost pureed, baked in a loaf pan, the weighted as it cools to create the correct texture, I've got these seasonings, and the antelope tastes similar to lamb, with a great flavor. I'll be making this soon. I'll take pictures and let everyone know how it turns out. Again, thanks.

Thanks everyone. These all look great, and use pretty much the same seasonings. Most call for the meat to be almost pureed, baked in a loaf pan, the weighted as it cools to create the correct texture, I've got these seasonings, and the antelope tastes similar to lamb, with a great flavor. I'll be making this soon. I'll take pictures and let everyone know how it turns out. Again, thanks.

Just a note. On the page with the recipe by Kenji Lopez-Alt that GG shared, there is a link to read more. Kenji says that it is very important to let the meat sit in the fridge with the salt, before putting it in the food processor, if you want the right texture. As usual, he has tried a variety of methods to find the best one and gives the "sciency" explanations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom