Fall Soup Season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Just saying!!!! Score!!

Let’s hear your best squash soup recipes and whatever recipes

Attachments

• 2BD32251-A9C0-42FD-8A9C-776829C92A7B.jpg
    2BD32251-A9C0-42FD-8A9C-776829C92A7B.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 55
  • ED69778B-8B9B-406A-9301-9722BED68C6D.jpg
    ED69778B-8B9B-406A-9301-9722BED68C6D.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 40
I few years ago I made a butternut squash soup which was the best I ever made/ had. But sure enough, I misplaced the recipe. Ive been looking for it since then with now luck. I remember it being simple, with no crazy/ fancy ingredients of spices, but just had the perfect proportions of ingredients . Best I can do is it had butternut squash and 1 apple. Ive found recipes that were good, but never the one I used to make.

I made Chef John's Italian White Bean and Sausage Stew recipe just the other day. It was more like a Soup though.
It was lovely and really hit the spot!
I think that Soups, Stews and Chilis taste better once they've sat for at least a day.
Next, I want to make Split Pea and Ham Soup, love that.
Funny enough, I had to go to three different markets to find Ham Hocks :huh:
Also, there was NO diced Ham available, but I know I have a coupla pounds in the deep freeze.

SOUP SEASON!!!

We really like the butternut squash soup recipe from KQED public broadcasting. I've made two small changes to the recipe. First, we didn't like the onion in it. The yellow onion seemed too strong. I keep meaning to try half of a sweet variety instead but keep forgetting. Second, we prefer it with chicken broth more than veggie broth. Since you are vegetarian, larry, you'll probably enjoy it with veggie broth more than we did

https://www.kqed.org/bayareabites/1...-butternut-squash-soup-with-apples-and-ginger

Nobody makes this, and it's delicious! Once you try it, you'll wonder why you've never had it before.

Mashed Rutabaga
Ingredients:
1 softball-sized rutabaga, peeled and diced
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. brown sugar
3 tbs. butter

Place rutabaga in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Turn to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until soft like a cooked potato. Drain. Add remaining ingredients to pot and mash with potato masher. Add pepper if you like.

Stuffed Acorn Squash
My mom made this one and I love it as much now as I did as a child.
Ingredients:
2 large acorn squash
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. basil
2 slices bread
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tbs. butter, divided

Cut the top from the squash, like you were making a jack-o-lantern. Remove the seeds. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bow. Stuff the squash with the forcemeat, and out the top back on. Bake at 350' F. for 45 minutes.

Butternut Squash Soup
Sily smooth, and either sweet, or savory as you desire. First, savory.

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fine ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup cream
3 tbs. salted butter

Place squash cubes unto a pot and cover with chicken broth. Bring to a gentle boil and cover. Cook for twenty minutes. Remove from heat and place squash into a blender, reserving the broth.. Blend until smooth. Add cream and herbs to squash and blend to combine. Stir squash back into the broth. Simmer to reduce to your desired thickness.

Spaghetti Squash Soup
It's like a bowl of spaghetti, only with the sweet flavor of squash, and as a delicious soup.

Ingredients:
1 spaghettis squash, cut in half.
15 oz. homemade marinara, or a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 lb. bulk Italian sausage, or ground beef
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 cp beef broth

Brown the meat over medium heat, the drain off the grease. Use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash into noodle-like strands. Place the squash, meat, tomato product, and cheeses into a pot, with the broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and butter.

Tip: The butternut squash can be replaced by sweet dumpling, or acorn squash. Also, in place of cream, you can add coconut milk, the thick stuff.

You can also add squash cubes to New England Boiled Dinner.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love soups, my wife puts up with them, but this time of year at least one night a week is soup and salad night.

Tomorrow will likely be Mushroom, barley soup, since I have a bunch of shiitakes to pick. I usually use a variety of mushrooms ( whatever I could get my hands on. Often 4 -5 varieties in the soup).

Pea soup and onion soup are on the horizon.

last week was butternut squash soup and the week before was potato soup.

Nobody makes this, and it's delicious! Once you try it, you'll wonder why you've never had it before.

Mashed Rutabaga
Ingredients:
1 softball-sized rutabaga, peeled and diced
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. brown sugar
3 tbs. butter

Place rutabaga in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Turn to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until soft like a cooked potato. Drain. Add remaining ingredients to pot and mash with potato masher. Add pepper if you like.

Stuffed Acorn Squash
My mom made this one and I love it as much now as I did as a child.
Ingredients:
2 large acorn squash
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. basil
2 slices bread
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tbs. butter, divided

Cut the top from the squash, like you were making a jack-o-lantern. Remove the seeds. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bow. Stuff the squash with the forcemeat, and out the top back on. Bake at 350' F. for 45 minutes.

Butternut Squash Soup
Sily smooth, and either sweet, or savory as you desire. First, savory.

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fine ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup cream
3 tbs. salted butter

Place squash cubes unto a pot and cover with chicken broth. Bring to a gentle boil and cover. Cook for twenty minutes. Remove from heat and place squash into a blender, reserving the broth.. Blend until smooth. Add cream and herbs to squash and blend to combine. Stir squash back into the broth. Simmer to reduce to your desired thickness.

Spaghetti Squash Soup
It's like a bowl of spaghetti, only with the sweet flavor of squash, and as a delicious soup.

Ingredients:
1 spaghettis squash, cut in half.
15 oz. homemade marinara, or a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 lb. bulk Italian sausage, or ground beef
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 cp beef broth

Brown the meat over medium heat, the drain off the grease. Use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash into noodle-like strands. Place the squash, meat, tomato product, and cheeses into a pot, with the broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and butter.

Tip: The butternut squash can be replaced by sweet dumpling, or acorn squash. Also, in place of cream, you can add coconut milk, the thick stuff.

You can also add squash cubes to New England Boiled Dinner.

Never thought of using spaghetti squash… does it stay stringy or go kinda more puréed? I usually go butternut or buttercup maybe even acorn or potato but hey. They’re all more purée not stringy. But thanks

Never thought of using spaghetti squash… does it stay stringy or go kinda more puréed? I usually go butternut or buttercup maybe even acorn or potato but hey. They’re all more purée not stringy. But thanks

I also never thought of spaghetti squash in soup.

As far as the mashed rutabaga goes, I love that. I usually mash up %50 rutabaga and %50 carrots. Boil til soft, mash. with a little butter ( some sugar if needed depending on sweetness), salt and pepper and cream. So simple but so good.

Here´s a pumpkin soup I developed with a young friend who needed some help in culinary school:

Pumpkin & Red Lentil soup
1 kg orange pumpkin, peeled and chopped into equal squares
1 medium onion ( around 100 gms),roughly cut up
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
75 gms split red (or pink) lentils
1 1/2 tsps salt
knob of butter
Vegetable stock (about 1 1/2 lts)
coriander, yoghurt, or tomato& ginger to decorate

Method:
Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and fry gently till browned. Add all the other ingredients except the coriander, cover with vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is just soft, then blend to a cream. Adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve with chopped coriander. Or float a little bit of yoghurt on top . Or add a "tarka" of quickly fried, diced tomatoes and ginger.

If not overcooked, they stay stringy.

So many great soup recipes.

Tip. with pea soup, if you use enough peas, the solids stay suspended and make for a creamy soup. If you pea solids are settling to the bottom, make a blonde roux with flour, and butter. Thin into a medium thick paste with the soup liquid. Add back into the soup and stir. This is called binding the soup, which will also keep the solids suspended, and add a buttery richness to the soup.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwinf of the North

I have a bunch of Yukon Gold potatoes that are sprouting, so I'll be making clam chowder tomorrow.

Thats why I did the potato soup last week and mushroom barley today. I grow way more potatoes than I can use and I only get so much storage time for the fresh ones. So when they start to go, everything on the menu has potato in I :)

I had quarts of fresh salsa, so I made a stuffed pepper and butternut squash soup, with salsa, water, butternut squash cubes and a cup of rice, and we dipped ww sprouted toast in it.

Today was Mushroom Barley Soup Day ( for me, I have a bunch of Shiitake I waned to use up).

I don't have a set recipe so I kinda took pics as I went along.
(View corresponding pic)

Veggies on the left : Celery ( including leaves), Pepper (and underripe sweet pepper), Onions, carrots, Pole beans and garlic.
- I like a rustic cut, different shapes and sizes. This is a relatively long cooking soup, so hey break down at different rates leaving many different textures.

On the right: Potatoes, Tomato, Dill, Bay leaf and of course, Mushrooms ( Shiitake, Button, tree ear and Kind Oyser).

In the back: Barley and large ,dried lima beans

- Veggies on the left sautéed / sweated in olive oil, a little salt . Not to get color, but just to break down a bit ( although some color wouldn't be a bad thing).

- After a few minutes , the shrooms go in. I showed a pic of how I cut them up, cause it brings back a recent thread about whether to cut off stems or not
***Crap, as Im typing this I just realized I have a few portobello mushrooms in thee fridge I forgot to use*** Anyway, Ill typically cut off the stems ( and still use them), and that allows me to cut top the caps easier ( its more stable when cutting on its base with no stem), and it leaves that typical mushroom cross section look. In other soups Ill just quarter them with the stem on, depends on my mood and what the shrooms look like.

- Quality control expert, Susan, keeping a watchful eye on my method and technique

- Mushrooms, barley, lima beans, bayleaf, and tomato all go in.

- Quick mix

- Broth is added , I use a mix of mushroom and vegetable, Im sure beef, chicken would be fine too. I add enough to cover by an inch or so. The barley and beans will absorb ( and continue o absorb, and the long cooking time will evaporate , so I may add more broth or water during the process.

***Check and Stir to make sure nothing gets stuck on the bottom of he pot***

- Salt and pepper as needed, usually the broth covers the salt aspect.

- I then make a roux, kind of a golden roux. I held up flour so you can see the color change. I use the roux partially to thicken and partially for taste, thats why I kinda want an in between color. It will be added towards the end of the cooking process

- I cheat with the potatoes, I usually pre cook them ( in the microwave) until almost down. Depends on the potatoes I have on hand and how much I think they will break down during the process.

- Roux, potatoes and dill added ( I like the fresh taste of dill at the end. I find if I add it too early it dilutes the dill flavor. I also fished out the bayleaf after about 1/2 hour. I didn't want the bayleaf to hijack the over all flavor of he soup.

***If my wife weren't vegan, I would have finished it off with some heavy cream ( and maybe did without the roux).***

- It was probably actively cooking for 2 - 3 hours, but then sat in the pot after shutting off the head for a few more hours ( and this pot retains heat relatively well).

- Finished

- And most importantly , my wife wont come home to a messy kitchen, clean up is complete!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.06.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.06.18 PM.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.06.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.06.48 PM.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.08 PM.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.46 PM.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.24 PM.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.35 PM.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.07.59 PM.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.08.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.08.30 PM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.08.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.08.43 PM.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.08.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.08.55 PM.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.09.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.09.08 PM.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.09.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.09.31 PM.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 36
Speaking of lentils, Dahl is a delicious, belly warming soup.

And a good thing about dal is that there are so many of them, and can be used in many non-Indian soups, to make a quick, high protein soup. And I use some of them as thickeners in soups - the readily available masoor dal, or red lentils, and the moong dal, are both useful for this, as they thicken in 15-20 minutes, almost completely disappearing into the soup.

Back
Top Bottom