Natn'l Greasy Foods Day ~ 10/25/2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ShopRite

sauce.JPG

goya.JPG

Capture.JPG

There are a few more brands including ShopRite brand that come in 8 oz. size.

Last edited:
Himself has "Hunts Only" taste buds. I think Market Basket sells the 8-ounce ones for around the same price (69 cents), but they regularly sell the "quart" size for $1 a can or, more usually lately, 2/$3. A lot of things I make call for the 15-ounce can, so I just split the big one equally. I have a small inventory of 29-ounce cans of tomato products (puree, whole, crushed, sauce) in the basement, most all bought for a buck.

P.S. I think the 29-oz cans and the 7.5 or the 8-oz that are now super-sized to 12-oz...I think it must have something to do with the New, New Math...
More likely it has to do with downsizing the product and trying to get you to think it's the same volume/size. It's the current way of increasing profit without upping the price. :glare:

...One day, I asked the guy at the meat counter (not calling him a butcher, 'cuz he ain't)...to get a 1-1/2 pound of the ground beef. Explaining that all the packages have 1-1/4 pounds and went on to say that most recipes call for 1 pound or 1 & 1/2 pounds, not 1 & 1/4. He nodded, gragged a couple of packages and went in the back. Came back and handed me...ONE AND ONE-QUARTER pounds of ground beef. Sigh. I shook my head, handed it back and walked away. I don't think it is my place to teach him math.
Don't try to get him to figure out how to give you change from a $2 bill. :ROFLMAO:

p.s. I think the 29-oz cans and the 7.5 or the 8-oz that are now super-sized to 12-oz...i think it must have something to do with the new, new math. I don't get it either. One day, i asked the guy at the meat counter (not calling him a butcher, 'cuz he ain't)...to get a 1-1/2 pound of the ground beef. Explaining that all the packages have 1-1/4 pounds and went on to say that most recipes call for 1 pound or 1 & 1/2 pounds, not 1 & 1/4. He nodded, gragged a couple of packages and went in the back. Came back and handed me...one and one-quarter pounds of ground beef. Sigh. I shook my head, handed it back and walked away. I don't think it is my place to teach him math.

bahahaha!

The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life." It comes from "Alo," meaning presence, front and face, and "ha," meaning breath.
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.

Lived a while in Aotearoa (New Zealand) and studied te reo Mäori and tikanga-a-iwi. Their version is aroha. They have a custom of close friends or relatives pressing the tips of their noses together and sharing breath: hongi. Very moving.

Himself has "Hunts Only" taste buds. I think Market Basket sells the 8-ounce ones for around the same price (69 cents), but they regularly sell the "quart" size for $1 a can or, more usually lately, 2/$3. A lot of things I make call for the 15-ounce can, so I just split the big one equally. I have a small inventory of 29-ounce cans of tomato products (puree, whole, crushed, sauce) in the basement, most all bought for a buck.

CG, do you have a Walmart?
Ours has Hunts 8oz. cans for 54¢
I'm in the same mini van as Ginny, I keep a dry goods pantry stocked at all times out in our finished garage. DH calls it my own "C Store", my Mom was absolutely appalled when he showed it to her.
"What do you need all that for?"
It's food Mom, ya know stuff you eat.
Oh, and then there's my two deep freezes ... that really threw her over the edge!

We were a day late. The chippie comes to town every two weeks, on a Tuesday, so we were there. They park the truck near a bar that doesn't serve food, so we take our orders in and order pints.

bx8X5Ci.jpg

It's deep-fried, but not greasy. Quite a treat in this landlocked state.

EbPSHmd.jpg

We were a day late. The chippie comes to town every two weeks, on a Tuesday, so we were there. They park the truck near a bar that doesn't serve food, so we take our orders in and order pints.

bx8X5Ci.jpg

It's deep-fried, but not greasy. Quite a treat in this landlocked state.

EbPSHmd.jpg

DANG!
THAT looks most ONO (that's Hawaiian for delicious) !!!

CG, do you have a Walmart?

Ours has Hunts 8oz. cans for 54¢

I'm in the same mini van as Ginny, I keep a dry goods pantry stocked at all times out in our finished garage. DH calls it my own "C Store", my Mom was absolutely appalled when he showed it to her.

"What do you need all that for?"

It's food Mom, ya know stuff you eat.

Oh, and then there's my two deep freezes ... that really threw her over the edge!

The Walmart I usually go to isn't the kind with a big grocery store. The bigger Walmarts...I just don't like the layout of the stores. Besides, 8 ounces from my 29 ounce can is still cheaper.

And pantry? I'm slowly working my stock down to nothing. I used to have nearly double of this. I'm doing the same with my freezer. Every time I get some empty space, I put an old juice bottle almost filled with water in the empty spot so that my freezer stays "full".

IMG_20211027_010457184_HDR.jpg

This is the brand I usually buy. They are on sale often for around 25 - 30 cents a can. Or sometimes 5 for a dollar. Can't beat that price.

sr-sauce.JPG

The Walmart I usually go to isn't the kind with a big grocery store. The bigger Walmarts...I just don't like the layout of the stores. Besides, 8 ounces from my 29 ounce can is still cheaper.

And pantry? I'm slowly working my stock down to nothing. I used to have nearly double of this. I'm doing the same with my freezer. Every time I get some empty space, I put an old juice bottle almost filled with water in the empty spot so that my freezer stays "full".

View attachment 49544

Good idea, CG! When we moved, I sent all my spices up to MIL's to hold until we found a new home. Anything left in the freezer went to friends...along with much of my pantry stuff. NOTE: If you have any picnic coolers, they make excellent "moving" boxes for the spices!

Lived a while in Aotearoa (New Zealand) and studied te reo Mäori and tikanga-a-iwi. Their version is aroha. They have a custom of close friends or relatives pressing the tips of their noses together and sharing breath: hongi. Very moving.

Sorry Bitser, some how I missed this post... yes, a traditional Hawaiian Greeting is the sharing of breath.
We touch foreheads, and then noses.
I believe that most if not all Polynesians have a similar greeting.

Back
Top Bottom