Preserved Ginger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
One of my fav dishes is Chinese Chicken Salad, but it calls for (importantly) preserved red ginger, which is hard to find in some places, and a pain to make.

So over the last few months I have been looking for a shortcut, and if you don’t care about the red color, the following provides comparable results…

Just put a couple of 1 inch thick pieces of peeled ginger in a cup of water and bring to a boil in the microwave. Drain, and repeat. At this point it should be easy to coursly mince. Then put the mince in a half cup of water with a half cup of sugar, and microwave to a boil. Let it cool while you prep your other ingredients and it will be ready when cool.

I´ve actually got some ginger pickling in the kitchen. The key seems to be using very young, fresh ginger - which you probably won´t find unless you grow it yourself IMG_20180704_181637_732.jpg

I´m fortunate enough to have the climate for it and it grows easily. The difference is that this young ginger is very tender. You can peel the skin off with your fingernail and it´s remarkably aromatic.
The colour is often obtained by adding beetroot or beetroot juice.

I´ve actually got some ginger pickling in the kitchen. The key seems to be using very young, fresh ginger - which you probably won´t find unless you grow it yourselfView attachment 49517

I´m fortunate enough to have the climate for it and it grows easily. The difference is that this young ginger is very tender. You can peel the skin off with your fingernail and it´s remarkably aromatic.
The colour is often obtained by adding beetroot or beetroot juice.
Hmm, I can sometimes get young ginger from the place sends me produce boxes. I didn't know why I might want it, especially since it is more expensive than "regular" ginger. How well does the preserved ginger keep? Can it be frozen to keep it longer?

Just remember that sometimes even the Asian grocery stores don't always distinguish between Ginger and Galangal.

A lot of them just say it is very young ginger.

How well does the preserved ginger keep? Can it be frozen to keep it longer?

I just cover the bowl I make it in with plastic wrap and store in fridge, and it has lasted for days (it even seems to get better the longer it sits in the sugar water). Don’t know just how long it will keep though as I keep making chicken salad until it’s gone.

You could certainly freeze it, and then just thaw what you need in warm sugar water.

Hmm, I can sometimes get young ginger from the place sends me produce boxes. I didn't know why I might want it, especially since it is more expensive than "regular" ginger. How well does the preserved ginger keep? Can it be frozen to keep it longer?

The ginger is preserved in rice wine vinegar. No need whatsoever to freeze it, unless it´s sold without any liquid.

Ahhhhhh - my mistake! That´s what happens when I try to multitask...
In that case, yes, except the ginger might lose a bit of texture.

Just remember that sometimes even the Asian grocery stores don't always distinguish between Ginger and Galangal.

A lot of them just say it is very young ginger.
The Asian market and a Korean market I go to often have young ginger - it's no smaller than regular ginger, but the skin is sort of transparent, compared to the regular. If you do find it, be sure to peel it, cut into useable sized pieces, and freeze it - I do that in foodsaver packs, so I always have some when I need it.

I have something in my garden a Japanese lady gave me several years ago, that I make a preserved ginger with, when the shoots come up in the spring - red, when it first comes out of the ground. It's a "hardy ginger", and survived down to 3° f so far. Those early shoots are what I harvest - their version of young ginger. I freeze it, and preserve it, when I thaw it. I didn't get any this year, because of the rain.

Last edited:
The Asian market and a Korean market I go to often have young ginger - it's no smaller than regular ginger, but the skin is sort of transparent, compared to the regular. If you do find it, be sure to peel it, cut into useable sized pieces, and freeze it - I do that in foodsaver packs, so I always have some when I need it.

I have something in my garden a Japanese lady gave me several years ago, that I make a preserved ginger with, when the shoots come up in the spring - red, when it first comes out of the ground. It's a "hardy ginger", and survived down to 3° f so far. Those early shoots are what I harvest - their version of young ginger. I freeze it, and preserve it, when I thaw it. I didn't get any this year, because of the rain.

Dave, I have frozen regular ginger. I usually freeze it with the skin on, because it just rubs off, once it is thawed. Found that out by accident.

Back
Top Bottom