Is glass good for cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I found a rice cooker today that came with compatible pot made of glass, and it claims it's the first ever in the market. Yes, most rice cookers I saw came with nonstick pot, but I'd like to know if glass is good for cooking? Will heat break it?

There are all kinds of glass dishes on the market - casserole dishes, pie pans, etc. They're specially designed not to break when used as directed.

I have a loaf pan, several "lasagna" pans, soufflé pans, and other pans made of glass that was specifically made to be usable in the oven or microwave. They are not made to use on the stove top. I use these regularly and I have had most of them for over 20 years and some for about 35 years.

I would assume that the glass in the rice cooker is safe to use in that rice cooker. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and use it.

Last edited:
I have about a half dozen or so Pyrex (clear) and Corning (opaque white) glass casseroles. The Corning ones have clear Pyrex lids, and the Pyrex ones have tight sealing polypropylene lids so it is a no brainer to cool, cover, and refrigerate the leftover lasagna or casserole.

I have had them all for decades without a single issue.

Glass cookware/bakeware are
standard kitchen staples. Use them according to directions and you won’t have a problem.

I have a few Pyrex "pans". However, I rarely use them. They make me nervous.

Just the memory of chicken cacciatori (sp.) all over the kitchen from an exploded Pyrex many years ago makes me not trust them.

My wife uses them, so she will get to clean sauce off the walls if it ever happens again.

I wouldn't do a glass pot rice cooker. But that's just me. I tend to bang things around in the kitchen.

As much as I would trust the glass insofar as the actual cooking is concerned - I don't think I would like having to haul it out.

Sounds awkward. But all this is without having seen the product. You have to judge for yourself Kenny.

As much as I would trust the glass insofar as the actual cooking is concerned - I don't think I would like having to haul it out.

Sounds awkward. But all this is without having seen the product. You have to judge for yourself Kenny.

It's hard to judge because in my city there is little regulation or restriction on many products so it really depends on the brand but the brand isn't very reputable so I can only come down to science. I am currently using an aluminium pot without any coating but the rice cooker itself is failing it was bought 20 years ago and now I'm not able to find out rice cookers with pot without coating

several questions

Do you think the pot from your old rice cooker would fit into a new one?

Are your rice cookers fairly inexpensive? (meaning, if you get 2 years use out of it and just then buy a new one should/when it fails)

May I assume you use them several times a week?

Why do you not want a coating? (teflon is not dangerous unless heated without any food past a really high temperature) (It shouldn't chip off unless you use metal utensils.)

Does the glass insert have a substantial edge around the rim? (meaning can you get a good grip on it to remove from cooker)

Do you think the pot from your old rice cooker would fit into a new one?

Are your rice cookers fairly inexpensive? (meaning, if you get 2 years use out of it and just then buy a new one should/when it fails)

May I assume you use them several times a week?

Why do you not want a coating? (teflon is not dangerous unless heated without any food past a really high temperature) (It shouldn't chip off unless you use metal utensils.)

Does the glass insert have a substantial edge around the rim? (meaning can you get a good grip on it to remove from cooker)

I think you might have little experience with rice cooker because in most cases different models come with their own pot so there isn't a pot that
is generic for many models, at least from my knowledge.

There is time people will forget and hit on the Start button without food, there is time people will forget and use non-metal utensils, it doesn't often happen, but once it happens, I think I'll throw away the pot and have to spend more money, so I don't have anything nonstick in my kitchen

You're absolutely right - I have limited knowledge of rice cookers. And yes, I would be surprised if the old one fit the new but maybe a chance. :rolleyes:

I hear you on the teflon but knowing certainly helps. I have several with but most do not. I just try to be careful with them so, although not electric, should they become damaged I just throw them out or repurpose them for other than cooking. For the price I pay (cheap!) and they last 2 or even 3 years I think it's good value. I have several that are going on 7 years.

So why don't you try the glass one. But there too, you will have to remember that glass can suffer thermal shock from hot to cold and vice versa. So the same applies - don't hit the Start button with no food.

Let us know your decision!
So speaking of rice :LOL:- do you make your rice with different flavours? I guess regular white is your mainstay, but do you ever fancy them up with anything to go along with something special?

Jeez, just buy the darn rice cooker and get done with it!
So what if the coating gets scratched? I’m sure there are billions of rice cookers with scratched Teflon coatings in use today. My 5 year old Zojirushi rice cooker has dozens of scratches and gouges and still performs as good as new.

Next question

You're absolutely right - I have limited knowledge of rice cookers. And yes, I would be surprised if the old one fit the new but maybe a chance. :rolleyes:

I hear you on the teflon but knowing certainly helps. I have several with but most do not. I just try to be careful with them so, although not electric, should they become damaged I just throw them out or repurpose them for other than cooking. For the price I pay (cheap!) and they last 2 or even 3 years I think it's good value. I have several that are going on 7 years.

So why don't you try the glass one. But there too, you will have to remember that glass can suffer thermal shock from hot to cold and vice versa. So the same applies - don't hit the Start button with no food.

Let us know your decision!
So speaking of rice :LOL:- do you make your rice with different flavours? I guess regular white is your mainstay, but do you ever fancy them up with anything to go along with something special?

I am not so worried about nonstick thing getting damaged and spending more money for it.

However, I have little experience with nonstick and I think, I am not sure though, if chances are the peeling off of the coating into the food from the nonstick but it is in small amount and you don't immediately notice the small damage and keep eating eating and eating. I don't know if I am over worried but well, I don't know, I don't know many of my neighbors here who are using nonstick thing, and my elders always tell me not to use nonstick, I don't know if we are too careful or overreacting

Great thing about glass cookware is that it is so easy to clean. Just drop it, piping hot into a sinkful of cold water.

Just kidding of course!!!

But the possibility of household members or visitors who wouldn't get that joke ever "helping out" in the kitchen is the strongest argument against glass cookware.

Glass Cookware;

Borosilicate - What Pyrex used to be made from. Can be used safely over direct flame, in oven, or under broiler without shattering. Widely used for heating substances in the scientific community. Used to be common in the1960's. Corning Visions cookware was borosilicate glass.

Sodium Glass - is a tempered glass that resist breakage from mechanical shock. It is safe when used as directed, and is mechanically stronger than borosilicate glass.. Use on the stovetop, over flame, or under broiler will cause it to shatter. Also, sudden thermal shock, i.e. placing a baking dish straight from the oven onto a wet, room temperature counter-top can cause it to shatter.

Your rice cooker probably uses a sodium glass insert. When removing the hot bowl from the cooker, it needs to be placed onto a wooden, cork, or dry cloth trivet. Do not immerse the hot bowl into water.

Check the label specs. If the bowl is borosilicate, then it will be temperature shock resistant.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Glass Cookware;
Check the label specs. If the bowl is borosilicate, then it will be temperature shock resistant.

Please note the word resistant - doesn't mean it still can't shatter.

As to flecks chipping off and being eaten - articles I've read say they cause no harm and will just pass thru. I think you would notice if the lining were starting to peel. Use of wooden and plastic utensils are always recommended, of course.

Over all - I would grade a cooker on how well it cooks the rice. Uneven cooking, overly dry/burnt, overly mushy/wet is, at least for me, a deal breaker! Then ease of cleaning which includes spattering and spitting all over the counter. A lot of reviews mention the spattering and having to clean the outside of cooker and the counter.

But you will not know if that is what your cooker will do unless you can try it. My first inquiry before purchasing, is just what is in their return policy (if any)

I would think you would have more choice in the larger capacity cookers than small 2 or 3 cup ones. That's sort of what I see on Amazon.

I had a chemistry set as a child. it had borosilicate glass test tubes, beakers, pipettes, and so on. i melted Sulphur in those test tubes over the flame of a Bunsen burner with alcohol flame (combine Sulphur and paraffin in a test tube, melt over flame. Makes a potent stink bomb.) I made boiled water in the beakers the same way. Never did any of the Pyrex implements shatter from thermal shock.

Glass is an insulator, and transmits heat slowly. What causes it to shatter is that the surface exposed to heat expands rapidly, while the rest of the glass remains much cooler, and remains unexpanded. As glass has no elasticity, this creates immense shearing forces that cause it to catastrophically fail (shatter). This can happen with cast iron, and for the same reasons.

Borosilicate glass transmits heat throughout its structure much more efficiently than other glass formulations, thus allowing uniform expansion, and contraction rates due to temperature changes, thus making it highly resistant to thermal hock failure.

really old Pyrex is fine. the newer pyrex will shatter with great drama if it's hot and wet. guess how i found that out.

i threw all of ours out then.

Back
Top Bottom