What to do with Strip Loin Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyPNW

Executive Chef
I picked up a 12 pound beef Strip Loin roast yesterday. My plan is to cut it down to 3 four pound roasts. I'm planning to roast one this evening.

Looking for suggestions for how to use any or all of the beef.

Thanks in advance!

smileys-cook-854393.gif

You could cut some into steaks fo the grill. It's too good of a cut to use it for much else.

Trip loin is a good cut of beef, especially if well marbled. Steaks are great from this cut. Another interesting, and party friendly way to use this is to cut into 1 inch cubes, skewer with fondue forks, season with S&P, and cook in hot oil in a fondue pot. Each person can cook to their choice of rare, medium rare, medium, etc. Have your favorite steak sauce in a separate bowl as a condiment.
You could also have cheese fondue in another pot, or friable veggies, like pearl onions.

This can also work well with kabobs.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks! I did consider Stroganoff...one of the very first meals I learned to make! Kabobs is a good thought. We do love kabobs! I've never made fajitas, so that's a thought too.

Thank you GG, Chief and Andy (again)! :chef:

We did enjoy the roast last night...but I think I can do better. I'm going to try the next one in the Sous Vide.

Ginny, I make a ribeye roast every year for Christmas dinner. I cook it using the reverse sear method and it comes out great every time. I think it's worth a try.

Ginny, I make a ribeye roast every year for Christmas dinner. I cook it using the reverse sear method and it comes out great every time. I think it's worth a try.

Thanks Andy! I'm just looking for a change up, but it can't be a let down! Ribeye is my favorite! Roast or steak! Sadly, DH doesn't have the same feelings.

Thanks Andy! I'm just looking for a change up, but it can't be a let down! Ribeye is my favorite! Roast or steak! Sadly, DH doesn't have the same feelings.
I'm not a big fan of ribeye, either - I prefer a strip steak. DH likes ribeye, though, so we get one of each.

Then you should do a strip roast. That's a very good cut. Basically NY strip steaks before they are sliced into steaks. I'd be fine with one of those too.

Also, you could do a tenderloin roast, that's the filet mignon cut.

Either way, I recommend using reverse sear to cook it.

Last edited:
Then you should do a strip roast. That's a very good cut. Basically NY strip steaks before they are sliced into steaks. I'd be fine with one of those too.

Also, you could do a tenderloin roast, that's the filet mignon cut.

Either way, I recommend using reverse sear to cook it.

Tenderloin is easy. Pretty hard to wreck it...LOL. But the Strip roast was on sale...and pretty reasonable.

For a change of pace, a crown roast of pork is an awesome presentation, delicious, easy to make, and much less expensive than a beef standing rib, ribeye, strip, or, tenderloin. You can also add many types of stuffing on top. Done low & slow to a temp of 145' on a charcoal BBQ, over a drip pan centered between a divided bed of coals with fruit, or maple wood, it's a show stopper. Ask the butcher to remove the chine bone, and french the bones, saving that meat, and the chine bones for you. You can then use that in other recipes, like soups, or in beans. Just a thought

This link shows a crown roast I made, sitting on a bed of flowering kale, with grilled peppers.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/1497-albums429-picture3165.html

Attachments

• rown roast before.jpg
    rown roast before.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
easier than it looks, and makes an impressive centerpiece. You just stand the roast on end, curl it until the ends meet, tie it in shape, and secure with butcher's twine. You can glaze it if you want, and put a fruity, or savory topping in the crown, maybe a good cranberry, cherry, or apple for fruit, rice & shrooms, or savory bread dressing for savory.

I have a theory that taste buds vary from person to person. I think filet has lots of flavor and one that I like a lot. But, I hear many say that it has no flavor to them. Go figure?

It's not that it has no flavor. It's just that the other cuts are more flavorful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom