Cooking a new discovery for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Through life, I've never been a kitchen guy. I did learn to read recipes, cook meals, and use cookware correctly. But I never really had an interest in kitchen time, and if left to my own devices, would just as well eat cereal as make an actual meal.

Over the last year, that seems to have changed a bit. I don't mind working in the kitchen, sometimes seek out new recipes to try, and drive the daily question "what's for dinner?". And now that my dish washer guy (my son, who recently moved in with his fiancee) is gone, I have no complaints keeping up with the dishes.

Is this what getting older is like?

I don't think I would pin it all on "getting older". I think many, if not most of us change, adapt and/or evolve throughout our lives. Certainly some of it is due to aging. I can't tell you how many times I tell DH, "you're not 20 anymore!" So, maybe physically we need to adapt?

Then there is money. Hopefully, we earn more than we did when we were first starting out. And then, I suppose, there comes a time when income is more of a "fixed income" too.

But, I think maybe most important is that our interests and tastes change. What was good or fun earlier in life might not be so now?

Whatever it is, make the best of it and enjoy your life!

I'd guess it's more about what living through a pandemic is like. Lots of people are staying home more, which leads many to start or spend more time on hobbies and other activities we didn't have time for before. And we're eating more at home.

Through life, I've never been a kitchen guy. I did learn to read recipes, cook meals, and use cookware correctly. But I never really had an interest in kitchen time, and if left to my own devices, would just as well eat cereal as make an actual meal.

Over the last year, that seems to have changed a bit. I don't mind working in the kitchen, sometimes seek out new recipes to try, and drive the daily question "what's for dinner?". And now that my dish washer guy (my son, who recently moved in with his fiancee) is gone, I have no complaints keeping up with the dishes.

My experience is the same as yours not being a kitchen guy. I found out the best way is to approach cooking is as an art and never stop learning. Now after some years of cooking I have had some good successes in the kitchen and it comes with a good feeling. Of course I have failures as I had yesterday when attempting to make orange chicken. But I found out that making a recipe for the first time ends up to be a learning experience.

Beware of recipes because I believe that some people just list ingredients that sound good and that they haven't tried. It is probably rare but I think it happened to me a few times when I followed a recipe to the tee and it just didn't amount to anything.

AwesomeOP, mr bliss really didn't cook much before he retired. He lived on pizza and toaster squares and quick frozen heat in the oven things. Then once he finally retired, he had time to cook more. So we cook together often. Today we canned 14 qts of oranges and 16 pint of oranges. Tomorrow we will can more. He really enjoyed it today because we accomplished so much. He's also much more adventurous in the kitchen than previously, trying all kind of spices and herbs, helping chop veggies, and taste test everything. Plus he grows gardens and does much of the outside work, and we don't like to waste what has been fruitful each summer into fall.

This is my first post here. I think I'm in a similar situation to the OP.

Same as the OP I could do some things in the kitchen but started making meals about 2 years ago. Started with grilling outside and making pots of Chile and moved into a few other things. In the last year I have really upped my interest in cooking. I'm married with adult kids, my wife is happy to let me take over which is basically what I have done.

During the lockdowns I worked outside of the home same as normal. My wife and me are in our 60s, our big debts are paid so we have more income. We have had in the past a few expensive hobbies but my interests are turning in the direction of getting our home and yard in as neat and orderly as possible, overall an effort to simplify life in general.

None of my family have struggled with weight issues but I cannot escape the feeling that we could eat more heathy overall. Go to a fast food place, dinner for 4 costs twice as much as steak made at home. I have this deep down desire to enjoy what I eat, something that I have not given much thought to in the past.

I have purchased a few of my own cookbooks and a few kitchen tools. This is a strange feeling for me. I look forward to getting into the kitchen after work and making something that is tasty and visually appealing.

Last edited:
Welcome Thomas15,
There is a website of pictures and foods, I'm not diabetic but I love the pictures and healthiness of the food in this website.

This IS the way we eat anyways.
https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/recipe/

Barley-and-Kale-Bowl-Featured-1.jpg

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking, thomas15 [emoji2]

Is there anything in particular you are interested in learning more about? What kinds of things are you making from your cookbooks?

We have a nightly dinner thread where people describe their dinners and (usually) post pictures, so you can get inspiration there. Have fun.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking, thomas15 [emoji2]

Is there anything in particular you are interested in learning more about? What kinds of things are you making from your cookbooks?

We have a nightly dinner thread where people describe their dinners and (usually) post pictures, so you can get inspiration there. Have fun.

So far mostly what I think could be considered comfort foods, hot wings for example, pulled pork, fried seafood, Chinese foods rice and Generals Chicken, after about 5 tries I have that one presentable, pasta items and so forth. Last week I made my first roast beef. I'm very happy about that, then put together a Cajun Chicken dish. Last night I made a creamy pasta/chicken in basil sauce taken from the Betty Crocker cookbook a little disappointed in that but still better than a microwave hotdog with mustard.

As I'm getting more involved I feel the need to get the basics down. One thing is I end up arms flapping all over like an escaped chicken so I need to stage my ingredients better before I start. My main interest is meat and poultry dishes, I'm looking for bold flavor, moist/tender meats and something that looks nice. I'm going to attempt baking my first loaf of bread this weekend. So in short I have to learn everything and need ideas that is why I searched out this forum.

On edit: it is amazing how well you can eat when you put it together yourself instead of packaged or takeout foods. I'm in the early stages of this adventure but it seems that getting really involved in what you eat makes one more appreciative of what you have and what you could have if you put in the effort and still do it at a lower cost.

Last edited:
One suggestion I have is try different recipes for the same meal.

Some recipes simply suck, or are just old school boring and bland.

The internet is full of bad recipes wrapped up in a shiny website.

Hi thomas15, Welcome to DC.

There is a lot of cooking experience here whenever you need it. It's a great adventure to learn to cook for yourself. You'll have a blast.

Beware of recipes because I believe that some people just list ingredients that sound good and that they haven't tried. It is probably rare but I think it happened to me a few times when I followed a recipe to the tee and it just didn't amount to anything.

You may be right there; but remember that anyone can post anything on the internet these days. I recall trying out 5 sweet/sour dill pickle recipes. One of them produced the most wrinkled pickles I´ve ever seen, and another one had so much salt, it would put the dead Sea to shame.
A recipe is merely a guide. I always follow the great James Beard´s advice:
"First time you make a recipe, follow the instructions exactly. After that, you´re on your own

You may be right there; but remember that anyone can post anything on the internet these days. I recall trying out 5 sweet/sour dill pickle recipes. One of them produced the most wrinkled pickles I´ve ever seen, and another one had so much salt, it would put the dead Sea to shame.

A recipe is merely a guide. I always follow the great James Beard´s advice:

"First time you make a recipe, follow the instructions exactly. After that, you´re on your own
I think the lesson should be to choose cooks/chefs/bloggers who you like and trust and look for recipes on their sites. I generally don't do a Google search and look at random results. I go to certain websites and search there.

I do often look at recipes from several sources and combine elements to make it my own, as you said. But people need to have a certain amount of experience in order to do that.

Back
Top Bottom