What to do with corn tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I don't know how many times I have bought corn tortillas thinking I was going to do something with them only to have them sit in the fridge for months on end. Any ideas on what to do with them?

We get the 4 lb bags of Mission brand corn tortillas because they are oil free.
I bake them flat on parchment, a pan of them one layer at a time, 350 deg F for 18 minutes. They finish crisping up when they cool on the stove. We use them like tortilla chips with salsa.

To spice them up, spray with braggs aminos or soy sauce or pickle juice, sprinkle with smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder...whatever you like before baking.

After we bake them we cool them and then bag them and use them for salsa or with refried (we make unfried beans) beans, or crumble into soup.

The only tortillas I don't care for are the ones made with Corn! Go figure.
I agree 100%! Flour tortillas just have no flavor for me, except when made with lard, but there is nothing that doesn't taste better in the corn tortillas.

Last edited:
If you feel adventurous, fresh corn tortillas are great frie crispy, and dipped into salsa, or broken into chips, and smothered with seaoned ground beef, shredded beef, refried beans and cheese sauce to make nachos. Corn tortillas also add great flavor, and thickening power to chili. Tortilla soup is a favorite as well. Put some enchilada, or adobo sauce in the bottom of a loaf pan, topped with corn tortilla, then ground beef, blac olices, cilantro, shredded cheddar, more sauce, then repeat to make what we called enchilada pie, though it also is called tamale pie, Mexican lasagna, and other names. It's yummy, and can be portioned oce cooked, and frozen. Use corn tortillas to make carne asada tacos, shrimp, or fish tacos, shredded beef tacos, etc. Fill scantly with meat and cheese, roll them up to make tacitos. There are other things you can do with them, both sweet, and savory.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Make some quesadillas. Just place a tortilla in a pan or hot plate, put some cheese, or meat mixture, or chicken in the middle, place another tortilla on top , flip over until just browned, cut into 4 pieces and enjoy.
Or toast them until just crispy, break into pieces, cover with shredded pork, or chicken, salsa verde, oaxaca cheese - and a couple of fried eggs on top!

Corn tortillas are traditional for tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and of course, tortilla chips. Flour tortillas are traditional for burritos and chimichangas. That said, I interchange them all the time.

What I want to know is, why can you buy flour tortillas in a myriad of sizes, but they only make one size corn tortillas?

This is a variation of the Chief’s. In our house, Jr as a teenager thought he invented this recipe long before the interne and was something he was proud to make. Make taco “lasagna”. Spread thin layer chunky salsa, add soft tortilla, layer taco filling, another tortilla, refried beans, tortilla, cheese, salsa. Repeat layers or layer however you like. Bake in a pie pan until heated through. Top w/ shredded lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, green onion etc. Cut in wedges.

Make tortilla soup. Tear or slice tortillas Google recipes. Tortillas help thicken soup and add flavor.

Cut in small or large wedges. Bake or fry til crisp. Make Nachos. Watch sports.

Tostadas. Bake or fry tortillas until crisp. Pile on ingredients as for flat tacos. Good, but wear a bib.

Wrap tortillas in foil. Bake until hot. Spread with butter. Roll up and eat with dinner. Keep warm.

And my favorite that I somehow seldom make…Huevos Rancheros.

Layer crisp tortilla in this order with: (Or use two tortillas if they are small and will fit on plate.)
refried beans, or serve be on the side
crumbled cooked sausage or chorizo
salsa
egg/s, cooked how you like
top with grated Monterey jack or Mexican cheese
cilantro leaves. Serve on the side-- avocado slices, sour cream and salsa or pico de gallo

Last edited:
Corn tortillas have a longer tradition. Corn, maize, is indigenous to the Americas. Wheat is not indigenous to the Americas.

If I ever do go to Mexico, hopefully I will like someone else's cooking. I like corn, really do. But the 2 times I used corn tortillas (yes, for taco s) I personally found them disgusting. Others like them, just not me. :(

I chop up Corn Tortillas and use them to thicken Chili.
Ooh, thought, then with any leftover tortillas, made chips out of them and dip them in that Chili!

Love this. It might be a bit crazy for some, but I did this once and then decided to use some left over sour cream to top the chili. Have I been adding sour cream to my chili ever since? You decide.

Love this. It might be a bit crazy for some, but I did this once and then decided to use some left over sour cream to top the chili. Have I been adding sour cream to my chili ever since? You decide.

Not at all Romero!

IMG_1505.jpg

I put my sour cream to the side this time, knowing that I would probably only eat half and give the rest to DH, he does not like sour cream.
Have you tried your Chili on top of a baked Russet Potato/Jacket Potato?
I also add chopped sweet white onions and shredded sharp cheddar cheese!!

Oh, and welcome to DC.

Last edited:
Sour Creme is quite common here in Canada. Even available in restuarants.

Hey, missed your introduction thread, so here's Welcome to DC Romero!

Back
Top Bottom