Would you consider translating recipes with online tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you are being recommended on a recipe in another language you don't know. would you sometimes translate it with microsoft and such?

it can be interesting to read recipes in other languages

no.
computers are exquisitely dumb at word for for word translations,
and computers don't cook.

I had a situation some years ago when I tried to make a Xmas bread for my Czech daughter-in-kw. The recipe was in Czech, which I translated, the measurements were in metric, which I converted to English, and the ingredient measurements were by weight rather than volume, which I converted.
It was supposed to be like a braided bread, but it came out looking like a large Milk Bone, Anyhow, the effort was appreciated.

I translate Danish and Swedish recipes into English for friends. I use Google translate and then fix the translations. I usually have a good giggle at some of the translations. But, I agree, the translations just keep getting better. Well, there are some annoying people who submit translation suggestions. Sometimes words are translated in a ridiculous manner or as racial slurs or just racially insulting. But, for the most part, with some care and thinking, the recipes translations are good enough.

Last edited:
No I wouldn´t. A complete waste of time as far as I´m concerned and, as a qualified language teacher, the "transliterations" make me cringe.

I had a situation some years ago when I tried to make a Xmas bread for my Czech daughter-in-kw. The recipe was in Czech, which I translated, the measurements were in metric, which I converted to English, and the ingredient measurements were by weight rather than volume, which I converted.
It was supposed to be like a braided bread, but it came out looking like a large Milk Bone, Anyhow, the effort was appreciated.

Souschef! Where have you been? And Kay?

Though I am not necessary against online translators. I prefer true and tested recipes (TNT).
Internet is full of garbage recipes. Full. That is why I like this site. There are people here who can give a solid advice. People who know what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom