Friday's Menu - 7/22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled Ahi Tuna Steaks
(That Wedge-shaped piece will
work its way into a salad plate "snack" later tonight)
Roasted Baby Yukons, Corn with Lefty Peas....
Teriyaki Sauce...

Ahi Tuna Steak 7-22-22.jpg

3 small microwaved russet potatoes, minestrone soup (veg bouillon/water, chick peas, green beans, greens, diced tomatoes and juice, carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, basil, optional ww bowtie pasta), ww toast with halva.

Had a Tuna salad (oil packed, olives, mustard, relish, mayo, celery, scallion) stuffed into 'Old El Paso' Mini Tortilla Bowls. Couple of extra cel ry stalks with Goat Cheese Chedar.

No plates necessary... :mrgreen:

Burger night remains one of my favorites! One all beef patty on a sesame seed bun with provolone, pepperoncini, tomato, onion and mayo. Cucumbers in sour cream as a side.

IMG_0228.jpg

Both Stirling and I dislike zucchini. I tried a new-to-me recipe for a pasta sauce based on zucchini. It's really good. I will definitely make that again. The sauce is vegan, gluten free, nut free, nightshade free, and delicious. This will be very handy. I won't cut the recipe down the next time I make this. Yesterday I pooped out after roasting the vegis for that pasta sauce. Later in the evening, I poached some mild Italian sausages, just to be sure they wouldn't go off. Today, while I was cooking the pasta and making the salad, Stirling took the sausages outside and grilled them to give them some colour and heat them up. I doctored a small amount of leftover Green goddess dressing to stretch it. I added some EVOO and a small blob of mayo. The salad with that dressing turned out really good. I am very pleased with this supper. Oh, the pasta was wholegrain wheat linguine. I brought some Parmigiano Reggiano to the table so we could grate some on top of the pasta. We ate too much. We had thirds of the pasta.

Italian sausage, salad, and linguine with a zucchini based sauce.jpg Italian sausages, salad, and linguine with a zucchini based sauce.jpg

Both Stirling and I dislike zucchini. I tried a new-to-me recipe for a pasta sauce based on zucchini. It's really good. I will definitely make that again. The sauce is vegan, gluten free, nut free, nightshade free, and delicious. This will be very handy. I won't cut the recipe down the next time I make this. Yesterday I pooped out after roasting the vegis for that pasta sauce. Later in the evening, I poached some mild Italian sausages, just to be sure they wouldn't go off. Today, while I was cooking the pasta and making the salad, Stirling took the sausages outside and grilled them to give them some colour and heat them up. I doctored a small amount of leftover Green goddess dressing to stretch it. I added some EVOO and a small blob of mayo. The salad with that dressing turned out really good. I am very pleased with this supper. Oh, the pasta was wholegrain wheat linguine. I brought some Parmigiano Reggiano to the table so we could grate some on top of the pasta. We ate too much. We had thirds of the pasta.

View attachment 52643 View attachment 52644

Recipe for zuchini sauce please. I'm supposed to stay away from tomatoes but love a rich sauce on my pasta.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Recipe for zuchini sauce please. I'm supposed to stay away from tomatoes but love a rich sauce on my pasta.

Cutting out the tomatoes is my motivation too. Here's the link to the recipe:.
https://blog.memeinge.com/roasted-zucchini-sauce/

I should mention that it is probably a lot easier to make the full recipe than one third, like I did to test it. I had to move the stuff to a mini food processor. It just wasn't getting pureed properly in the 3 cup bowl of my food processor. Wait a minute, don't you have some fancy, high speed blender? i think that would be the perfect tool for this.

Another no cook day, since I made a big batch of tuna salad yesterday. I spent my dinner prep time making big bowls of mixed greens and smothering them with crispy veggies. I had my tuna on five grain bread with mayo and lettuce. Himself had his on the last of the baguette.

IMG_20220722_222634236_HDR.jpg

I made a vegetable dish today, using a bunch of those things from the garden, as always! The flavors are based on ratatouille, and I added some rice, to make a one dish meal.

It was all in the Instant Pot, so I first cooked some brown rice in it much earlier, then let it cool, and put it into a container, and put it in the fridge. Later, I blended a large amount of tomatoes - almost to the top of the small Vitamix container, then put about 3/4 c of dried tomato pieces in it, to soak, while cutting up the onion and garlic, and started cooking the onion in the IP in a little olive oil, on sauté/high. Then I blended the softened dried tomatoes, which thickened the tomatoes considerably. Garlic was cooked with the onion briefly, then the tomatoes were added, with about 1/4 c white vermouth. Then the herbs - about 1/2 c chopped parsley, 1/4 c chopped basil (more later), 1 tb chopped thyme, and 3 fresh bay leaves. After it came to a boil, I switched to slow cook/fast, which keeps a fast simmer, covered with the splatter screen, and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, while cutting up all the rest - the eggplants, bottle gourd, okra, and large bell pepper. When it had thickened considerably, I removed it to a large bowl, rinsed out the IP, and let it dry, then set to sauté/high again, adding about 4 tb olive oil. I added the eggplant and bottle gourd pieces, and cooked about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Then added the pepper and okra, and cooked 3 or 4 minutes, then put the tomato sauce back in the pot. I put it back on slow cook/fast, and simmered another 20 minutes. Then I stirred in the cooked rice, and another generous amount of chopped basil, and let sit on warm another 15 minutes.

This is the type of dish I would cook in a Dutch oven, in the oven at the end, with raw rice, but using that in the IP results in sticking, making a dish like this. But I don't turn on the oven if I can help it, in the summer! And the IP puts out a lot less heat, than even cooking on the induction burner.
Finished dish, after the rest, to heat the rice through. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

When you've been working all day on a fly rod, after the post dyalisis nap, and it's 11:00 p.m., and you realize you haven't eaten anything (heavy sigh) you go for easy. I sliced up a yellow summer squash into thin rounds, and placed them in a microwave safe bowl, with a tbs. of butter. Nuke 'em for one minute. Add a can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup. Nuke for another minute. The squash still had just the right amount of crunch, and added a fresh, sweet flavor that was the perfect counterpoint for the savory soup. Added a touch of cream to the soup, to make it less salty. Cold watermelon cubes rounded things out perfectly. Talk about a tired man's meal... Easier than ramen, and quicker too.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom