Ham Rub/Glaze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
I love Ham. It is a very versatile food, that you can eat for any meal of the day,breakfast, lunch, dinner. My little family enjoys it when I make it, and we can stretch it VERY FAR, when money gets tight, especially this time of year!!!!!

I usually catch it on sale at the grocery store, when it's about 59 cents a pound. It's usually 9 out of 10 times, the bottom shank portion, between 10 and 15 pounds. But I start the recycling process by serving the first meal as a slow roasted ham, with veggies, and whatever side dishes come to mind. Very easy, with LOTS OF FLAVOR!!!!

HAM GLAZE/RUB:

1 HAM

2 C MELTED BUTTER

5 C BROWN SUGAR

3 C DELI MUSTARD

APPROXIMATELY 35 PINEAPPLE RINGS

APPROXIMATELY 70 WOOD TOOTHPICKS

INSTRUCTIONS:MIX MELTED BUTTER AND BROWN SUGAR TOGETHER THOROUGHLY. BRUSH MUSTARD ALL OVER HAM, COVERING TOTALLY. TAKE BROWN SUGAR/BUTTER MIXTURE AND PAT OVER WHOLE HAM, COVERING COMPLETELY. COVER HAM WITH PINEAPPLE RINGS HELD BY TOOTHPICKS.

PUT HAM IN DEEP BAKING DISH, AND COVER WITH ALUMINUM FOIL. (TOOTHPICKS WILL ALSO KEEP FOIL FROM TOUCHING AND REACTING WITH HAM)

SLOWLY BAKE THE HAM ON 250 DEGREES FOR AT LEAST 5 HOURS. The pan drippings are a great glaze for the ham.

Last edited:
Erik, the brown sugar-mustard glaze is my favorite too. But sometimes just for a change I'll do this one.
Apple Bourbon Baked Ham

7 to 8-lb fully cooked bone in smoked ham, shank end

*I double the rest of the ingredients, it’s so good it goes fast.*

one half cup bourbon

1-1/2 cups water

one half cup packed light-brown sugar

1 cup apple cider

one quarter cup dijon mustard

1 tsp pepper

1. Place unwrapped ham on rack in large roasting pan. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 325° F. Skin ham; trim fat to ¼ inch. Score fat in diamond pattern. Cover top of ham with foil. Pour one quarter cup of the bourbon and all the water into roasting pan. Bake 30 minutes.

3. Glaze: meanwhile in small saucepan, combine remaining bourbon, the sugar and one half cup of the apple cider. Cook stirring, over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard and pepper. After ham has baked 30 minutes, remove foil and baste with one fourth of the glaze (add water to pan if needed).

4. Bake 1-1/2 hours longer, basting 3 times with remaining glaze, or until internal temperature registers 130°F. on meat thermometer. Transfer ham to platter; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Pour drippings from pan into glass measure; skin and discard fat.

5. Place same roasting pan across 2 stove top burners over medium high heat. Add remaining apple cider, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add reserved drippings and any juices from ham on platter. Simmer 5 minutes.

6. Serve pan juices with ham and Peach and sour cherry relish.

I’ve made the ham and it is outstanding, but have never made this relish, couldn’t find the cherries but now we have a store that sells all kinds of dried fruit so I will be making it.

Peach and sour cherry relish

1/3 cup dried, pitted sour cherries

one quarter cup dry sherry

one half cup sugar

2 tablespoons EACH fresh lime juice and wine vinegar

2 teaspoon minced peeled ginger

1 teaspoon yellow-mustard seeds

one quarter teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon EACH ground cloves and cayenne pepper

1 package (20-oz) frozen sliced peaches

1 small red onion, diced

chopped fresh parsley

1. In small bowl, soak cherries in sherry 30 minutes to soften.

2. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, simmer sugar, lime juice, vinegar, ginger, mustard seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and cayenne 5 minutes, stirring twice.

3. Add peaches, cherry mixture and onions; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.

4. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.

April 1996 McCall’s

Back
Top Bottom