Thinking of going vegetarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
But I'm not sure if I want becase of nutritional reasons: don't know how I would have to modify my diet to make sure I get the proper balance of nutrition. I personally like the taste of meat. I don't have to have it at every meal, but don't think it's gross to eat.

Anything I should think about as I consider this???

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the taste if meat and don't think it is gross then why are you considering this change (if you don't mind me asking)?

If you like the taste of meat why change? Change your eating habits to eat 1-2 vegetarian meals a week or more, if you wish. If you decide to eat vegetarian meals doesn't mean that you have to totally give up meat. What I think you really are thinking about is eating healthier.

htc said:
But I'm not sure if I want becase of nutritional reasons: don't know how I would have to modify my diet to make sure I get the proper balance of nutrition. I personally like the taste of meat. I don't have to have it at every meal, but don't think it's gross to eat.

Anything I should think about as I consider this???
htc, i personally think some protein is good for us..We require well balanced nitrition..Cut your meat size down to say the size of the back of your hand or a deck of cards, meat is needed at every meal, lower the carb intake and have several veggies and a slald at you main meal...One of my favorite lunches is to get a french roll or a whole wheat roll, hollow it partially out and fill it with sprouts, avocado, tomato, onion that I've tossed with some evoo and vinegar and salt and pepper...It's so good :) I don't think I could go strictly vegetarian..But, you do what makes you feel the best... and If I can help in any way let me know.
kadesma:)

There are different kinds of vegetarians. Some don't like meat. Some become or are vegetarians because of their religious or politcal beliefs. Some for health reasons.

My daughter was vegetarian for 6 months after a visit to Malta. The butchers there hang meat that still looks like an animal. the hams look like pigs and the chickens still have feet. It grossed her out. I spent a fortune on meat substitutes.

We eat meatless once or twice a week. It is not a conscious decision, we just like those foods.

Whatever you decide, read up on it first and try some meatless meals.

Pam

I don't know what you would call this...political reasons maybe? The more I learn about slaughterhouse practices and other treatment of animals (i.e. lab testing, etc) the more I feel bad about eating meat.

I agree that you need some sort of protein with your meals and this is where I need to do more reading. I just thought I could substitute with stuff like beans and tofu or gluten. (?) I am the primary cook in the house so I have to factor stuff like that in as well.

Thanks for you input guys!

Protein isn't really an issue for a vegetarian if you're eating a wide variety of healthy foods. Beans, legumes and soy (seitan / tofu) are the most obvious sources but there are tons of other ways to get protein too; a handful of almonds (almonds have the highest amount of protein per serving, most all other nuts have a decent amount), natural peanut butter, eggs and whole grain cereals are all also great sources.

I didn't wake up one day and decide to be vegetarian, it was more of a gradual change. I cut out red meat years ago because of that heavy feeling it always gave me after eating it. Pretty soon I was cutting out pork. And then poultry. After reading a friend's copy of "Diet for a New America" I knew I'd made the right choice for me.

I think that the more educated you are about where your food comes really, really comes from and the processes involved in getting from an orchard or a farm to your table, the more inclined people would be to making changes in the way they eat. The "big business" method of raising and slaughtering of animals is a sad, sad thing.

I raised a very carnivorous son who used to tease me about missing out on "all of this beefy goodness!" But I also bought "organic" meat for him. =P It was spendy, but I always felt better knowing that at least the animals weren't pumped full of anti-biotics and growth-inducing stuff and fed who knows what. Cooking a cow or chicken or whatever that lived a happy, healthy life was always more appealing to me than the usual meat-counter (or frozen food section) alternative.

I can't say that I'll never eat meat again, because someday I may. But I do know for sure that any meat I would eat would come from animals raised, fed and butchered in a way with which I were 100% comfortable or it wouldn't be something that would land on my table.

Only you know what is right for you. If that means not eating meat, yay! and if it means eating meat, yay! =P It is a big world and there is plenty of room for us all live as we choose.

:heart:
Z

My daughter made the conscious decision to become a vegetarian at aged 13. I was not unsympathetic, but insisted that she keep eating fish and occasionally chicken. All the meat we eat is organic - I've been buying only organic meats and vegetables for nigh on 15 years - back when it was quite difficult to find regular and good supplies! Strictly speaking, she was a non-meat eater, rather than a vegetarian... :)

She now very, very occasionally eats lamb, but still doesn't like beef or pork. :D

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to agree with doing the gradual thing. Thanks for all the input!

I was thinking about you yesterday. Perhaps a kind of inbetween stage would be a good thing. I know plenty of people that only eat fish and chicken.

Good luck with it all!

Pam

I am a vegitarian, although right now I am eating meat on my doctor's orders :mad:. There are many reasons people go on vegitarian diets. Some people want to lose weight and be healthier. Some are concerned with animal rights and some are concerned with human rights. Some pople just want to aviod the cost of beef or mad cow disease. Some people may do it because it's a trend.

There are also varying degrees of vegitarianism. Some people are vegans, they eat no meat, no diary, no eggs, no gelition, or honey...nothing that comes from an animal. On the opposite end of the spectrume are people who just don't eat red meat but still call themselves vegitarians.

Protien, vitiam B12 (found only in red meat) and iron and big deals for veggies but these can be solves by a balanced diet and a multi vitamin. You would also be surprised by how many veggies also have minerals in them, for example spinich is very rich in iron.

I would recommend doing some reading some nutrition and vegitarianism before making the desicion to make the leap. Of course the gradual suggesion is an excellant one, perhaps cutting one animal a week or even one serving a week, then you won't even notice it.

I would recommend the following books, I know they are a bit unconventional, but they are very information. Give them a chance before deciding they don't fit your age group/medical problems therefore contain no knowledge to you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140365893/qid=1116700586/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-2357104-0929762

http://www.eatright.org/Public/ProductCatalog/SearchableProducts/104_8467.cfm

Here is what the new food pyramid has to say on their meat/beans page:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/meat.html

Paraphrasing this: There is no plant or animal that has been shown capable of producing B12. The exclusive source of B12 appears to be tiny microorganisms like bacteria, yeasts, molds, and algae.

Snapper is an excellent source of B12. Shrimp, wild salmon, halibut and cod are all good sources, as well as yogurt, milk, cheese and eggs. Many types of cereals are fortified with B12 also.

In general, tofus, tempehs, and sea vegetables tend to be more consistent sources of B-12 than misos, tamaris, and shoyus. Depending upon the medium in which they are grown, brewer's and nutritional yeast can also be significant sources of B-12 in a strict vegetarian diet.

Another interesting tidbit I found: Vegans who previously ate animal-based foods may have vitamin B12 stores that will not be depleted for 20 to 30 years or more.

:heart:
Z

HTC- how's the transformation going? I decided to stop eating meat in November of 2004. I only miss it on holidays (the tofurkey didn't cut it), and sometimes I crave McDonalds (I know it's gross, but I can't help it!!) The cravings always go away eventually. We vegetarians are lucky because today we have so many alternatives to meat, and we have so many ways to access great vegetarian recipes.
What helps me stay veg is thinking about the way the animals live and then the way they die. I don't know which is worse! Of course, the choice is yours, and it is wise to consider all of the effects it may have on your body. Have you talked to your doctor about it?

A vegan acquaintance I had used a lot of products I'd never heard of and that you'd never find outside of a very extensive health food store (I did the interview a long time ago so can't remember, but even in a decent sized town she had to mail order or go to a large city to find them) to find certain ingredients. Don't get me wrong, all "natural", just not commonly available. A lot of the health problems vegetarian friends I've had are caused by vegetarianism combined with fussy eating. I don't like beans. I don't like rice. I don't like tomatoes (I've heard all when trying to fix a dish they can eat) .... when you're through, there's no way you're going to get the nutrition your body needs. I think a vegetarian (whatever particular category) needs to learn more cooking methods and to enjoy more varieties of foods than an omnivore in order to get all the nutrition.

I chime in firmly with the gradual approach many have espoused. Many acquaintances think that because I like meat, we eat it 3X/day. In fact, we have at least a couple of meatless days a week and never eat it 3x/day ... not planned, just like it that way.

Be prepared to take vitamins/supplements if you go veggie- there are many nutrients you can't get from plants. For instance, you'll get virtually no truly bioavailable Omega 3's from any plant, including flaxseed, etc. Also many protiens can't be obtained from any plant or seed, including nuts and soybeans.

If you're not a militant vegan, you could supplement your veggie diet with pharmaceutical grade fish oil caps and good multivitamins.

Good luck if you go that route. That leaves more meat for me!:ROFLMAO:

Go for it!

Im a vegetarean too, but i eat fish, there is more to being vegetarean than you think, its not just about not eating meat, you need to start eating beans (not the tinned ones) but real soy beans etc. You need to take pills and buy substitute meat products but its a pure thing to do and i would totally respect you and support u 100% if you did it!

Vegetarian?! :ohmy:
What?! And vacate your position at the top of the food chain?! :ohmy:

:LOL:

Im a vegetarean too, but i eat fish, there is more to being vegetarean than you think, its not just about not eating meat, you need to start eating beans (not the tinned ones) but real soy beans etc. You need to take pills and buy substitute meat products but its a pure thing to do and i would totally respect you and support u 100% if you did it!

Huh?

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for six years. I never needed any pills or fake meat. I felt really healthy. I only quit being a vegetarian because I never stopped craving meat. I suspect it isn't ideal for everyone and it may depend on your ancestry. My ancestors are from the Scandinavia. I don't think they had a lot of vegetarian options in winter.

What does a Native American (or a lot of other kinds of natives) call a vegetarian?

Bad hunter.

Back
Top Bottom