Strange product - beer can holder for Beer Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I hope this comes through readable. I have never seen anything like this silly contraption.:LOL: Have ya'll?

Attachments

• beer chicken.jpg
    beer chicken.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 298
So this thing is for real?? Is it good with the chicken?? I thought it was a joke. I learn something new everyday.

This is mine, it's called a ChickCAN Rack. It's made by Bayou Classic & I got it at Wal-Mart for $2 or $3. I haven't even used it yet.

263_big.jpg

I wish I could tell you more, but since I've never made one all I know is that you put a half full can of beer or soda in the rack, place the chicken on that & smoke, grill, or bake it. When it's done you remove the chicken from the rack & can & serve it. Where's Rainee? She'll know a lot more about it that I do!

i never had chicken like that personally but my dad swore by it. said it was the juiciest chicken he's ever had. think next time i go over for dinner i'll ask him to make it.

My FIL has made it & sent some to us. Even reheated it was good. Not dry at all. I may have to break out a can (or 2:-p ) of beer Monday & try this thing out!

It works if you stick a half full can of beer in the chicken without a rack. Stand it up on a cookie sheet in the oven or on the grill, using the two legs to make a tripod and away you go.

I found my grill lid to too low for this type of chicken cooking so I had to use the oven.

I use Andy's method as well. Just the beer can. No need for the rack. Beer Can Chicken is some of the best chicken i have ever had!

I am moving this to Cookware and Accessories.

you can just stick the chicken on a half-can of beer. betcha game hens would be good like that but they're too little to fit!

Like Andy & GB said, you don't need the rack, but it makes the can more stable. Not a bad idea when you're dealing with a boiling liquid!

We tried a beer can chicken once. I honestly don't think it's any better than grilled or roasted ... but it makes for fun conversation.

I have always used just the beer cans too - no rack at all. HOWEVER, it's not a bad idea as sometimes the edge of the beer can be in a crack and a couple have tipped over - very sad when that happens! lol

We make these ALL the time!!! It is the best chicken you will EVER have! It takes about 2 hours on the grill (coals all around but not directly under chicken) or 4-5 hours in a smoker. The last time I did them I used the charcoal grill, put an aluminum throw-away pan in the center filled with apple juice. Soaked some Hickory wood chunks. Lit the charcoal, threw in the wood, placed the chickens above the aluminum pan and they are wonderful. Also, the bit of skin at the top I make sure covers the hold and I toothpick it so it will stay covered.

A friend did some this weekend but she used a chicken holder with no beer or liquid that steams up in the chicken - they were NOT as good and turned out a little dry (the white meat anyway).

Beer Butt Chicken W/Mexican Flavor

For just a regular rub you can use roughly equal parts of brown sugar and kosher salt, (1 TBS each), then about 1 tsp. each of dried oregano, paprika, garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. cayenne.

Or find a chicken rub on the net.

I have done these in the oven (in a cake pan so the grease has somewhere to go or, on the grill as described above). You will amazed at how tender these are.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom