Need help! Making my first standing rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
dw graciously went food shopping the other day, and not only loaded up the fridge with chicken, beef, and fish, but she also bought so many things that need to be kept frozen that she took a beautiful standing rib roast (i think 3 or 4 large bones) out of the freezer to make room. i was saving it for a special occasion; not sure which yet. but i guess it's this weekend.
now i have to do a whole lotta cooking this weekend before we end up throwing a lot out, and i'm not about to let the rib roast go to waste. so i'll probably make it sunday or monday night.
i need your help! i've never made one before. for my first one, i'm gonna make it plain, just s&p, and roast it in the oven in a large pan (on a rack?) but any ideas for temps, times, sauces and side dishes is greatly appreciated... TIA

Bucky:

Here's a foolproof method for cooking your roast if you don't plan on using the oven for anything else (potatoes, etc).

Standing Rib Roast Cooking Instructions

Preheat the oven to 500º F. Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500º F oven and cook it for 52 minutes (or whatever you calculate for your roast).

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and don't open the door.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness).
Do not open the oven door during this time.

After the 90 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.

If you're not comfortable with that method, try the Alton Brown method from Good Eats:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17372,00.html

thanks andy. i'll have to try this when dw and the baby are out of the house. 500 degrees for 50 minutes is definitely gonna set off the smoke alarms.

Holy cow! I do mine a bit differently. I turn the oven to about 400 and put the roast in there (after seasoning) for about half an hour. Then I turn the oven to 300 and cook for the remaining time. 15 minutes per lb. I have never had a failure with this method and the roast is always a beautiful medium rare to rare. Good luck!

Andy M. said:
Bucky:

Here's a foolproof method for cooking your roast if you don't plan on using the oven for anything else (potatoes, etc).

Standing Rib Roast Cooking Instructions

Preheat the oven to 500º F. Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500º F oven and cook it for 52 minutes (or whatever you calculate for your roast).

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and don't open the door.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness).
Do not open the oven door during this time.

After the 90 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.

If you're not comfortable with that method, try the Alton Brown method from Good Eats:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17372,00.html

Just becareful if you do this method. My Aunt tried it once and she fried the h.ell out of her oven.

Alix said:
Holy cow! I do mine a bit differently. I turn the oven to about 400 and put the roast in there (after seasoning) for about half an hour. Then I turn the oven to 300 and cook for the remaining time. 15 minutes per lb. I have never had a failure with this method and the roast is always a beautiful medium rare to rare. Good luck!

This is approxiamtely the way we did it in cooking school last week. I'd be very careful with the 500 degrees for 50 minutes... that's an expensive piece of meat to risk. In class we did it at 425 for 30 minutes. Here is the exact recipe we used... however you may not have an 8-10 pound roast, so adjust the time at 325 F. somewhat and check the internal temp sooner.

Ingredients:

1 beef rib roast on the bone, approx. 8-10 lbs., brought to room temperature.

1/2 c. olive oil
2 T. fresh rosemary leaves
2 T. minced garlic
2 T. kosher salt
2 T. cracked black pepper
1/2 c. red wine (and 1/2 c. brandy if desired)
1/2 c. water or stock

and for vegetable trivet:

2 stalks celery washed, cut in half lengthwise and chopped into 1" pieces
1 large carrot, peeled, quartered lengthwise and chopped into 1" pieces
1 large leek, quartered lengthwise, washed, and chopped into 1" pieces.

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Prepare rub by mixing the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Using your hands, coat the roast with the mixture, covering all sides. Allow to marinate for 24 hours, or for as long as you have available.

Prepare the roasting pan by tossing the vegetables with a small amount of oil and placing them in the pan. Place the roast on the vegetable trivet, and put into the preheated oven. Roast for 30 minutes, the reduce the oven temp to 325 F. and continue roasting for approximately 1 hour or to desired doneness. Use a meat thermometer into the center of the roast to test for doneness. It should be about 120 F. for rare, 130 for medium rare, 140 for medium. Remove from oven and tent with foil and allow to rest for 1/2 hour. The internal temperature will continue to rise 8-10 degrees during the resting period, so don't overcook it in the oven.

For Au jus, place the roasting pan over medium heat and cook the trivet vegetables to a golden color. Drain off fat, deglaze the pan with the red wine (we did it with brandy too at school, but be prepared for a big flambe if you do so) and cook until reduced by half. Add water ( or stock), bring back to a simmer and taste for seasoning. Strain the liquid into a heat proof measuring cup and skim any fat that floats to the surface.

Separate the roast from the bones. Carve desired serving sizes and serve the au jus with the roast

:chef: :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Bucky:

The comments following the recipe I posted are sceptical at best. I assure you that this process is tried and true. I've used it many times with success so I don't consider it risky.

If you're not sure, try the Alton Brown link I posted or one of the other recipes.
Regardless, enjoy the rib roast.

Andy M. said:
Bucky:

The comments following the recipe I posted are sceptical at best. I assure you that this process is tried and true. I've used it many times with success so I don't consider it risky.

If you're not sure, try the Alton Brown link I posted or one of the other recipes.
Regardless, enjoy the rib roast.

I have used this method ( or quite similar) in the past too, but I was always very nervous about it because you have to take it on faith. Since you can't open the oven till it's time to remove the roast, what you see is what you get, and if you did it too long, you're stuck with it. After I lost one, I started looking for a method that was easier for me to control. I've had really good success with the recipe I posted above, or one very similar to it. The key is having an accurate thermometer, and letting it rest for the full half hour. And the au jus that you get with this recipe is delicious.

thanks so much everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i partly blew it. :(

i was planning on grilling tonight, so i got the coals going, but when i pulled out the chicken thighs that were destined for the grill, they had a slightly funky smell to them. so i tossed them and looked into the fridge, and that rib roast kept glaring at me. so i remembered a bunch of posts about grilling it, and away i went. i rubbed the roast with s&p, inserted my trusty wms/snma temp probe, grilled it on hot coals to sear it, fat side down first, then both sides, then onto the bones. but i had to keep closing the grill to keep down the grease fires, and smoke just kept pouring out of the grill. it started out at 41 degrees, and i finally couldn't tkae how burnt the outside was, so at about 80 degrees, i took it inside, and finished it (in a roasting pan with taters and onions tossed in evoo/fresh thyme and sage/s&p) at 375 for about a half hour, until it reached 127. i watched it peak at 135, and tasted a bit of the outer ring of meat. it just tasted very charred. i know some people like the taste of that char/burnt stuff, but i'm more of the rare/slightly-warmer-than-body-temp kind of carnivore.
because it took so long, i had time to make a foil packet of tilapia filets in chipolte butter with fresh lime juice and slices of lemon, and then i grilled the open faced foil packet.
also, i grilled sage/canola oil rubbed pineapple slices, and skewers of cippolines that my neighbor grew. we ended up having this for dinner. the rib roast will have to be leftovers.:neutral:
the tilapia, pineapple, and cippolines were awesome.
tomorrow, i am gonna slice off as much of the charred fat and meat, and i'll report on how the roast came out, with the herb roasted onions and taters on the side...
again, thanks for the input everyone.
l

Edited by Kitchenelf - just read post below for proper cooking instructions. Thanks for finding out the right way Constance!! It looks breat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boneless Rib Roast

Please forgive me friends, but I really goofed on that method for doing the rib roast. :wacko: I talked to my friend today, and here is the correct one.

MISSISSIPPI QUEEN'S RIB ROAST

Place roast fat side up on a 1" layer of rock salt. Insert garlic cloves in ends, pack completely with 1" rock salt, and cook uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or til med/rare on meat thermometer.

Last edited:
BT, I've never tackled one of those & you've already prepared the dish...but, remembered your post & bumped into this one. Maybe for next time. See what you think. (A pic's worth a 1000 woids, dontcha think?) BTW, it's from Savoir Faire.

605meat.jpg
Here are a few dishes that will make you a star with little effort. Delicious stuffed crown roast of pork, moving to brown rice with a sauté of chestnuts and cranberries, then a salad with Boston Bib lettuce, delicate blue cheese dressing with toasted pecans. These dishes will take no more effort than Tom Turkey and all of the ingredients are easy to find. Enjoy!

Stuffed Crown Roast Of Pork

Crown Roast

Ingredients:
  • 1 crown roast of pork, the meatier the better
Method:
A roast with about 22 bones will serve about 16 people. Remove meat from refrigerator one hour before cooking. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Wrap tin foil around the ends of the bones to protect during cooking.
Place roast in oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Cook for 2 hours. (25 to 30 minutes per pound)
Add stuffing and allow to cook for another 45 minutes.
Once done, remove roast from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving.
Serve in crown form with the centre well filled with stuffing.

Crown Roast Stuffing

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb chorizo sausage
  • 1 lb sweet summer sausage
  • ½ cup breadcrumbs
  • ¼ cup chopped onions
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • ¼ cup finely chopped red peppers
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp sage
  • 1 tbsp marjoram
  • Salt and pepper
  • ½ cup milk
Method:
Chop all ingredients except Chorizo and summer sausage, and place into bowl. Cook off sausage and add to chopped vegetables.
Combine ingredients and moisten with milk. Using your hands, blend everything together. Add more breadcrumbs if the texture is not firm. Place in fridge.
Once the crown roast has cooked for 2 hours, fill with stuffing and cook for 45 minutes more.

Cranberry Chestnut Rice

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups brown rice
  • ½ cup butter
  • 6 shallots
  • 2 bags sundried cranberries
  • ½ cup, roasted, shelled, and chopped chestnuts
  • ¼ cup armagnac
  • Salt and pepper
  • ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
Method:
Prepare rice, then set aside.
Melt butter in saucepan. Add shallots and sauté until soft and tender.
Add cranberries and continue to sauté.
Roast, shell, and chop chestnuts. Add to sauté and finish with armagnac, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Pour sauté over cooked rice and stir. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

Pear and Bibb Lettuce Salad

Ingredients:
  • 6 heads hydroponic Boston Bibb lettuce
  • Small wedge of gorgonzola, or blue cheese, crumbled
  • 6 Anjou or sugar pears
  • Pecans, toasted
  • Fresh, crushed pepper
Method:
Wash lettuce, dry, and display on service platter. Crumble gorgonzola and blue cheese over leaves and scatter toasted pecans over as well. Slice pears and incorporate into lettuce. Sprinkle fresh crushed pepper over salad.
Dress with vinaigrette (recipe to follow) immediately before service.

Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/8 cup walnut oil
  • ¼ cup sparkling wine
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
  • ½ tsp Dijon mustard
Method:
Combine all ingredients into canning jars, shake them up, then pour on top of salad.

BuckyTom; Andy M's method does work, but so do the others. The first time I prepared a bone-in Standing rib roast, the butcher told me to place it in a 500 degree oven for fifty minutes, turn off the heat and let the roast sit in the oven until cool, and then cook on 200 degree to an internal temp of 130. The roast was perfect.

But then again, I've experimented and found that the roast can be cooked at 400 for 20 minutes, and then at 250 until the meat thermometer reads 130. Again, the roast was great.

The point is; no matter which method you prefer, high initial heat followed by low temperatures seals the meat and creates a flavorful "crust", while the final temperature preserves the natural "rare" flavor of this cut.

As for your grilling failure, like any large, irregular shaped chunk of meat, it requires an indirect heat method. As you observed, the direct heat of hot charcoal is too hot. By the time, the internal meat would come to temperature, the outside is charred beyond recognition.

Next time, if you are using charcoal, divide the charcoal into equal beds on either side of the grill (presuming you have a kettle grill similar to a Webber), leaving a space of 4 to 6 inches between the beds. Light the charcoal and wait until it is very hot. Place a disposible drip pan between the beds, half filled with water. Add a small amount of wet hardwood onto the coals if you desire. Place the roast, fat-side up, over the drip pan. Cover the grill and close all vents by half. Use your meat thermometer to monitor the degree of doneness and remove when the meat reaches between 125 and 130 degrees. Let rest for at least 15 minutes.

If you use a gas grill, light just one burner and place the roast over the unlit side. Again monitor with a meat thermometer.

I have substantial experience with grilling, barbecuing, and fire-roasting all kinds of meat, as well as braising roasting, and frying the same. I love to cook and have been doing it for many many years.

Try the methods described above. More importantly, think about what's happening to the meat as it cooks, what you are trying to acomplish with your methodology. If you do this each time you make something, or try something new, and carefully observe the results, then you will develop an inate cooking intuition if you will. You will understand why various techniques will give you superior results, even if you've never made a dish before.

I posted pictures of a crown pork roast I made, the first time I ever tried it, as well as several smoked/barbecued turkeys. Each came out great the first time, and without a recipe. How can I do this time and time again? I know how meat reacts to technique. And whether it's a fresh ham, a turckey, a Prime Rib, an inside round, or a good old hot dog, or even a hamburger, I know how meat reacts to heat, and what techniques keep it succulent and juicy.

The seasonings are subject to individual taste. But the physical laws of cooking are constant, no matter where you live, or how much you know. My advise to all seroius cooks, professional or amature is to learn the physics of cooking. Then you can begin to apply the artistry that comes from a knowledge the foods, and how they act and react to technique.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

well said goodweed, and thanks for the info. i'm a novice, obviously, at grilling roasts. i'm used to chicken, steaks, fish and veggies. roasts, as you so eloquently described, are a whole different ballgame. i should thought about indirect heat.

mish, that pork roast and sides look great. printed and saved that one. thanks.
and thanks again everyone for your help. the roast turned out ok. i reheated it in the oven 2 days later, then trimmed off all of the char. it turned out ok, but i think i'll try the oven method next time. i really wanted to taste the "sweeeeeet meeeat", but i ended up with a mostly charcoal tasting chunk-o-flesh.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Question to Goodweed:

Since I'd probably attempt this in the oven (no barbecue pro here), what do you think of the method, i.e. oven cooking - time/temp/22 bones etc? It's very similar to what Alix mentioned. (Thanks Alix :) )

Thought it looked pretty simple (& wouldn't heat up the kitchen). Other question, noticed recipe didn't mention any rubs or basting? liquids on the pork. Do you think it could go unseasoned? Guessing this is an expensive cut of meat & would hate to ruin such a lovely dish. Thanks in advance. Oh, I did like the menu too. Nice company/holiday fare.

Crown Roast

Ingredients:
  • 1 crown roast of pork, the meatier the better
Method:
A roast with about 22 bones will serve about 16 people. Remove meat from refrigerator one hour before cooking. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Wrap tin foil around the ends of the bones to protect during cooking.

Place roast in oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Cook for 2 hours. (25 to 30 minutes per pound)

Add stuffing and allow to cook for another 45 minutes.
Once done, remove roast from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving.

OMG mish, drooling here.

I did a standing rib last night for dinner and sprinkled the fat cap with Montreal Steak Spice. It was amazing. I think the roast pork would do well with this too. I have done it a time or two and my family gobble it up.

Tell us how it goes.

Alix said:
OMG mish, drooling here.

I did a standing rib last night for dinner and sprinkled the fat cap with Montreal Steak Spice. It was amazing. I think the roast pork would do well with this too. I have done it a time or two and my family gobble it up.

Tell us how it goes.

Thank you, thank you, Alix. I'll see if I can find that spice here. Loved the touch of putting the stuffing in the center & all the side dishes.

Mish; Two methods come to mind for a crown roast prepared in the oven. But first, think of pork, the texture and flavor. It is savory, but with a hint of sweetness. The grain is less stringy than is beef, and more tender when prepared properly. It naturally lends itself to slow, moist cooking methods, though quick cooking, as is accomplished on a grill, works well if the meat is prepared properly beforehand. Salt and pepper are great companions and work just fine for seasoning the meat, though fruits, especially those with both sweet and sour componants, such as rasins, peaches, plums, apples, pineapple, etc. marry wonderfully with the pork as well. What does all of this lead too. It leads to creativity.

The recpe you posted will give you a fine tasting piece of meat, but it will dry out just a bit. I would at the very least, brine the roast a bit, to add more liquid to the muscle tissue. And I wouldn't use time as an accurate way of determining when the meat is done. That chore is best handled by a meat thermometer.

Here's the first method I would choose. First, when you puchase the tenderloin with the ribs still attached, it will generally come with extra muscle tissue and little bone medallions attached to the larger muscle. You must remove this until you have nothing left but the tenderloin and the ribs. Next, french the bones, that is, cut the meat from between, them, all the way down to the tenderloin. Rub the meat with cooking oil and season with salt and pepper.

Stand the roast so that the bones stick straight up and curl it to form the "crown" with the bones curving outward, away from the center. Tie into shape with butcher's string. I found when I did mine, that I had to trim the meat ends to make them come together in an amost seamless fashion. Remember, this dish is at least half about presentation. Put the foil hats on the bone ends. Place the roast in a shallow pan that is large enough to hold the roast.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. While the oven is heating, prepare the stuffing. You can use a bread stuffing similar to poultry stuffing, or use a combination of cooked wild and brown rice, mixed with herbs or fruit, or even make a vegetable stir-fry to place in the center. It's really up to you. You can stuff it with anything you like. And coloful veggies really have a way of decorating a meal. :mrgreen:

When the oven is hot, place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, to the center. Place the roast into the oven, cook for ten minutes, then reduce to 350. Simply roast until the meat thermometer reads 140 degrees. Remove and place the stuffing between the bones. REturn to the oven and roast until the meat thermometer reads 155 degrees F. REmove and let rest for 15 mintues.

At this point, I placed my roast on a bed of flowering kale, with roasted peppers garnishing the platter. I used one each, red, green, and orange bell pepper. I also had mandarin oranges skattered about on the kale.

The second method will provid the most tender result, but is trickier by far, not the cooking part, but the presentation.

Preapare the roast as in the above method, but place in a large roasting pot, with 2 inches of water and cover with a lid. Place in a 275 degree oven and roast for four hours. Remove the lid and increase the temperature to 400 degrees. Cook until the meat is beautifully browned.

Place the meat onto a suitable platter and stuff with rice or riced potatoes. Make gravy from the meat drippings and pour over the stuffing, letting it drizzle sown the roast sides.

The last technique will give you melt-in-your-mouth tenderness, and retain great moisture content. But it will be difficult to transfer the meat to the platter. I guess that you could leave the meat in the roasting pan, siphon off the jucies with a turkey baster and make gravy in a seperate pan. That would work, but wouldn't be as elegant.

In either case, your family, or guests will be duly impressed with both the presentation, and quality of the meal.

Personally, I like to marinate my pork in fruit juice of some kind, or make a dry rub for it. But that's jsut me. The above recipes will make you a hero in your house, garunteed. You'll look like this - :chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom