Favorite Knife or Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay i know this one has probably been asked about a thousand times before but I am just way to lazy to look through all 25+ pages of threads. :-p
Mine would have to be my wusthof grand prix 9cm pairing knife. I know alot of people will say global, and i like them too, its just that my wusthof has always stayed sharp.:chef:

mitch_the_chef said:
Okay i know this one has probably been asked about a thousand times before but I am just way to lazy to look through all 25+ pages of threads. :-p
Mine would have to be my wusthof grand prix 9cm pairing knife. I know alot of people will say global, and i like them too, its just that my wusthof has always stayed sharp.:chef:

I have 2 favs at the moment... both are Wustoff Classic. My 6" chef's knife and 5" boning knife. The small size of the chef makes it almost a utility knife, and I use it for most everything. The boning knife is also a great utility knife (and it bones pretty good too... :LOL: )

I use a 10 inch Henkles chef's knife much of the time, I also use a global santuko and 6 inch chefs knife. I use a global paring knife as well. I find the edge on the global knives holds up very well and comes back to a razor like edge with a few draws across a diamond steel.

My favorite is the Global Chef's Knife, 8". This thing floats in my hand. Wicked sharp. Some people really don't like the way it feels though.

Link

HAHAHHA MJ and Mitch , if you seen my knife you would laugh! I do not know what it is made of i think its carbon steel, and it has the steel the length of the handle with brass rivots. Its, about 12" Long, and sharp as a razor, Its a Butcher knife. I've never ever have sharpened it. I use it for everything. I mean everything. It was my mothers. It's definately an antique. But gosh its just feels good in my hands. You know?:LOL:

Heat said:
HAHAHHA MJ and Mitch , if you seen my knife you would laugh! I do not know what it is made of i think its carbon steel, and it has the steel the length of the handle with brass rivots. Its, about 12" Long, and sharp as a razor, Its a Butcher knife. I've never ever have sharpened it. I use it for everything. I mean everything. It was my mothers. It's definately an antique. But gosh its just feels good in my hands. You know?:LOL:

I know what you mean! I love vintage carbon steel knives too! They are what I grew up with, and what I still like the best.

I have vintage carbon steel knives from various makers: Dexter Russell, Henckels, Wusthoff Trident, F. Dick, Lamson, and a few others. They are all wonderful knives.

But my favorites are carbon steel vintage Sabatier knives! :mrgreen:

A story and a second.

Sabatier?! I've always heard those were really good knives. I have read a couple stories on those to i think, but the one that comes to mind is Anthony Bourdain. I think this guy is my favorite chef (though i have many), and i vaguely remember him talking about using these in the book Kitchen Confidential. I also think that the knives he has attached to the waste of his chefs jacket are sebatiers. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had a picture of one of them, that maybe they could post it on the forum along with a comment about the knife?
I thought it would be cool to tell you guys and gals a story behind one of my knives, A global chefs knife thats 10 inches. Yes a little big for me but i actually got it for free at a banquet i was helping out with on the second day. I actually met the owner of the global knife company in Japan!! Though i can't remember his name:-p .

Julia Child and Jeff Smith used Sabatier knives too!

I don't have a digital camera, so I stole this photo off the web. But these are almost exact duplicates of my knives, and I am ashamed to say, the number of my Sabatier knives in my collection
img_125907_0_bceb1cd504cc22325a231d76b7aa6db0.jpg

Cool!!!

Wow thanks alot ChocolateChef for the picture, I envy you regardless of how many of them you have. I have also noticed that some look newer or different from eachother in the pictures. Do they have a new version of sebatiers?! I sure hope so! Anyway my lunch is almost over, i have to get back to school.
Adios.

The two that I mostly always use are a 10" Henckles Professional-S Chef's Knife and a 7" Henckles Twin Select Santoku knife.

I've tried Global but I don't like them as much because their knive's edges are one sided.

Besides, knives in a sense, are overrated. You can give someone the sharpest and best knife in the world but that still won't make them a good cook/chef.

mitch_the_chef said:
Sabatier?! I've always heard those were really good knives.
Sabateir knives WERE very good when they were manufactured in France. In fact, Le Cordon Bleu used to give a set to each graduating student. They are no longer manufactured in France, and now have a very bad reputation, specifically that they are not very sharp to begin with, and do not hold an edge when resharpened.

Although I have a wonderful set of Henbckles sitting on my counter top, my all time favorite knife was the one my former SO ran away with when she left: a 10-inch Friedrich Dick Chef's knife. I have considered replacing it, but they are quite expensive. The only satisfaction I have left is that I can tell everyone that, even though my girlfriend decided to leave, she just HAD to take my Dick with her :LOL:

Caine said:
Sabateir knives WERE very good when they were manufactured in France. In fact, Le Cordon Bleu used to give a set to each graduating student. They are no longer manufactured in France, and now have a very bad reputation, specifically that they are not very sharp to begin with, and do not hold an edge when resharpened.

Although I have a wonderful set of Henbckles sitting on my counter top, my all time favorite knife was the one my former SO ran away with when she left: a 10-inch Friedrich Dick Chef's knife. I have considered replacing it, but they are quite expensive. The only satisfaction I have left is that I can tell everyone that, even though my girlfriend decided to leave, she just HAD to take my Dick with her :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

ITA, about the new Sabatier knives. That is why I collect the vintage ones!

I just bought a set of F. Dick knives for use at the Boys and Girls Club.
img_126010_0_c7b0c7387f3a27b68a763bccafe5fed3.jpg

Okay so there not manufactured as well now? What a bummer. I was just going on what people said in the past about ten or twenty years ago lol, I had no idea they werent that good anymore, my mistake. Anyway these F. dick knives sound pretty cool. I might just pick one up in the future.

Adios.

mitch_the_chef said:
Okay so there not manufactured as well now? What a bummer. I was just going on what people said in the past about ten or twenty years ago lol, I had no idea they werent that good anymore, my mistake. Anyway these F. dick knives sound pretty cool. I might just pick one up in the future.

Adios.

What it has to do with in the use of recycled steel in the knives.

Most other knife brands use recycled steel also, so most of the brands out there have experienced a quality deterioriation imho.

Careful with Sabatier, several companies have the right to use the name and the quality varies considrably. This is from the website www.sabatier.com :"

First of all it must be pointed out that no SABATIER company owns "THE" Sabatier brand. The SABATIER brand is ancient and appeared at a time well before the first French legislation concerning intellectual property rights. For historical reasons several companies registered the SABATIER brand in France. This is true of the SABATIER DIAMANT company, that makes its knives in the heart of the French cutlery region.

Back at the beginning, when the brand name SABATIER was registered in France, it had to be accompanied by a word or traditional image, and our company registered the name SABATIER accompanied by a diamond. Outside France the situation concerning the SABATIER brand is far less complicated, but that is by no means a guarantee of quality.

As things stand, a large number of knives bear the name "SABATIER", it is even possible to find knives marked "SABATIER" which are made in China, and this is the case notably in the United States.

The only way for you to be sure of buying a genuine top quality SABATIER knife is to steer clear of those produced in the Far East and, out of the various other SABATIER ranges, to chose the word or image that corresponds the best to the quality level you want.

If the brand name "SABATIER" marked on the blade of your knife is accompanied by a diamond, you will be sure that your knife was indeed manufactured in France, according to traditional methods and respecting the quality criteria that make the SABATIER a "gold standard" knife. "

SpiceUmUp said:
The only way for you to be sure of buying a genuine top quality SABATIER knife is to steer clear of those produced in the Far East and, out of the various other SABATIER ranges, to chose the word or image that corresponds the best to the quality level you want.

If the brand name "SABATIER" marked on the blade of your knife is accompanied by a diamond, you will be sure that your knife was indeed manufactured in France, according to traditional methods and respecting the quality criteria that make the SABATIER a "gold standard" knife. "

:ermm: That is why I carefully scrutinize Sabatier vintage knives before I buy them. 90% of my knives are the diamond marked ones.

The other knives are excellent quality knives whose markings are gone with the wear of time. You have to have the knowledge [information] and the experience to recognize a bargain on top quality equipment of any type. You need to train yourself in every way to avoid being taken. :rolleyes:

I love my Henkels 8", my heavy cleaver and there's a nice japanese sushi knife that the new roomie brought with him which I love using for making thin slivers of things.

MJ said:
My favorite is the Global Chef's Knife, 8". This thing floats in my hand. Wicked sharp. Some people really don't like the way it feels though.

Link

I almost bought that knife.. but sadly... I can't really afford to go around buying fancy new cookware or knives. I use a generic brand chef's knife, and I don't really like it, but I suppose it gets the job done. The utility knife I keep around is great though. My stepmom's ex used to own a restaraunt, and after he closed it down he had a lot of un-opened supplies, so he gave a bunch to us. We've got like 6 of those utility knives back at home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom