Do Crock Pots Make Superior Soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomBrooklyn

Assistant Cook
Are slow cooking electric crock pots superior to covered saucepans on a gas stovetop for making soups?

Hi Tom and welcome,

I have made soups both ways, and to me, the end result is pretty much the same, in that both methods rely on the use of a great stock, and good ingredients. The slow cooker/crockpot comes into it's own for pulses such as lentils, and convenience, you can leave it do it's thang while you're at work etc which is what I love about it. With pulses etc, I find that if you are going to cook them in the crock pot you can get away with little or no soaking time, and here in the north of England, dried peas etc are what we eat in winter! :roll: Not quite used to them yet!

I have a crock pot of green pea soup on now.This is a new one to me. It comes with the ham flavor packet. I made it once before and liked the idea that I didn't have to have a ham bone or ham hocks on hand. :)
Dove

I have alway cooked my soups on my stove until last week. I came across a recipe for pea soup in the crock pot. I tried it and LOVED it. With this recipe you can just dump everything into the pot...turn it on...and 5 hours later its done. This kind of cooking gives me more time for making the fun stuff....dessert! I would love to try some more crock pot recipes.

Hi northernMIcook! I think it depends on what type of soup you want to cook. I do a minestrone where it really has to be done on the stove because I add the veggies in at all different times. But a vegetable soup, French Onion soup, potato soup, soups where everything is pretty much done at once would be good in a crockpot. But as far as using the word "superior" I would use it in the sense that if I'm going to be gone all day and I want to come home for soup then the crockpot is "superior" in that sense! ;) Saves me from having to do the soup at the end of the day!

NorthernMIcook,
If you have time would you share the Pea soup recepie with the rest of us :?:
Marge (Dove)

No problem Marge,
Here's the recipe:

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup

1 16oz package dried green peas, rinsed
2 smoked hamhocks (can also use 1 hambone or 2 cups diced ham instead)
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons chicken seasoning salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½ quarts hot water

Layer ingredients in slow cooker as listed, pour in water. DO NOT STIR. Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove hamhocks and bay leaf. Cut meat off hocks, add to soup. Serve with croutons. Freezes well.

Love split pea soup!

Thanks MIcook, with those vacum packs of diced ham at the supper market that would make this soup supper easy :D

I need to try it!

I do prefer cooking a big pot of soup on the stove on a chilly winter weekend. I reserve the crockpot for days I go to work.

I make some of my soups in the crock pot in the summer when the AC is on. I start it before bed and in the morning I have a delicious soup. Sometimes, I will also use the c p when I have a bunch of errands to run and will be out all day.
I don't think soup is the c p is superior, but it is convenient at times.
However, there is nothing better than a large pot of soup simmering on a back burner on a cool fall day.
As you can see, I love soups of all kinds any time of the year.

I must admit that there is definitely a difference! I've made my soups both ways and voude to never use the stove top method for soups again. Slow cooking is the best and more flavorful way to make soup.

Are slow cooking electric crock pots superior to covered saucepans on a gas stove top for making soups?
I've used the slow cooker for soup when I've needed a lot but didn't have time to stand over it. Not much difference really except that it doesn't boil over. Not much of a time saver as the veg & meat (or whatever you are using) need to be prepped in an ordinary pan before they go into the slow cooker with the stock.

I must admit that there is definitely a difference! I've made my soups both ways and voude to never use the stove top method for soups again. Slow cooking is the best and more flavorful way to make soup.

Hi Rick. My opinion is exactly the opposite. I like to have complete control of my soup making plus I enjoy making soup as a process of adjusting the heat and taste as it goes. If one has the time, it's what real cooks do the way I see it.

Hi Rick. My opinion is exactly the opposite. I like to have complete control of my soup making plus I enjoy making soup as a process of adjusting the heat and taste as it goes. If one has the time, it's what real cooks do the way I see it.

...+1

I used to think so but I think ‘better’ is a term that gets thrown around too much.

Is it better because the prep can be done ahead so you can socialize?

Is it better because your kitchen doesn’t heat up?

Is it better because you can make it and be at work at the same time?

Is it better because things are spicier, thinner broth....

Some people like how a stove top soup can steam off instead of recycling the water

I make some soups in the oven to bring brings out the roasted taste.

Pea soup vs chicken noodle vs squash vs beef vegetable etc so on different cooking methods bring out different tastes that appeal to different people with different spice levels etc. So slow cookers are great I love them. But hey better isn’t an easy word to agree with on such a huge topic.

+2

I used to think so but I think ‘better’ is a term that gets thrown around too much.

Is it better because the prep can be done ahead so you can socialize?

Is it better because your kitchen doesn’t heat up?

Is it better because you can make it and be at work at the same time?

Is it better because things are spicier, thinner broth....

Some people like how a stove top soup can steam off instead of recycling the water

I make some soups in the oven to bring brings out the roasted taste.

Pea soup vs chicken noodle vs squash vs beef vegetable etc so on different cooking methods bring out different tastes that appeal to different people with different spice levels etc. So slow cookers are great I love them. But hey better isn’t an easy word to agree with on such a huge topic.

The original question was, does a slow cooker make superior soups? So it's about the end result, not the circumstances around making it.

In my experience, slow cookers often overcook the ingredients and the food comes out tasteless and either mushy or dry. Making soup on the stovetop allows you to monitor it, tasting and adjusting as it cooks. It's hard to do that with a slow cooker and keep the temperature where it needs to be.

The exception is making pulled pork or beef when the meat is all you want. When I'm making a pot roast or stew on the stovetop, I leave the lid ajar so the liquid can reduce. This leaves caramelized residue (fond) on the inside of the pot, which is delicious stirred into the food :yum:

And I also also split pea soup in the slow cooker. It turns out great unattended. I don't eat it, but my husband loves it, so this works for us.

Last edited:
Stovetop takes about half the time to make BUT the flavor isn't there as it is with a slowcooker.
GotGarlic mentioned that slow cooking over cooks it and it will if you leave it in the pot too long and 'over cook' it. :ROFLMAO: You've got to monitor the process as you do with stovetop methods. It's just not as critical.
I make a Chicken Vegetable with Rice that comes out fantastic in a slowcooker. It's also great on the stovetop but not as flavorful.
My split pea soup is the same way. Best in a slowcooker but only good on the stovetop.
I will admit that I have over cooked my soups in trying to find the right length of time to slow cook them for.
But all in all, slowcooking is the best for flavor. :chef:
Chicken Vegetable with Rice
Split Pea

Last edited:
Stovetop takes about half the time to make BUT the flavor isn't there as it is with a slowcooker.

That's exactly where several of us disagree with you. A slow cooker doesn't develop flavor as well as stovetop cooking does. If you like it, fine. I don't.

GotGarlic mentioned that slow cooking over cooks it and it will if you leave it in the pot too long and 'over cook' it. :ROFLMAO: You've got to monitor the process as you do with stovetop methods. It's just not as critical.

It's not necessary to laugh at people in order to get your point across.

The primary supposed benefit of slow cookers is that you can leave them unattended for many hours and get good results. That means not being around to monitor it, like going to work and being away for 8-12 hours. Also, I was following recipes in the book that came with my slow cooker, including the timing, and food came out overcooked. That's useless to me and a waste of food.

So if you like it, fine. I don't.

Hi, Rick!

I looked at your split pea recipe - it's really similar to how I have made it for years, except I don't blend everything together. I like the veggies visible and chunky, but just soft enough for a bit of a bite. LOVE split pea soup! :yum:

I haven't used a slow cooker in many years, but I do love my Nesco. Instead of just low, med, and high settings on a slow cooker, it has a programmable dial that allows everything from warming to roasting to sear. They're great and I wouldn't be without mine.

6 Quart Roaster Oven | NESCO®

I do use stove top for cooking most soups, though.

Last edited:
I make a Chicken Vegetable with Rice that comes out fantastic in a slowcooker. It's also great on the stovetop but not as flavorful.
My split pea soup is the same way. Best in a slowcooker but only good on the stovetop.
I will admit that I have over cooked my soups in trying to find the right length of time to slow cook them for.
But all in all, slowcooking is the best for flavor. :chef:
Chicken Vegetable with Rice
Split Pea

Since you're responding to my comment Rick, let me start with your split pea soup recipe which says it's just like Anderson's. I've often said that Anderson's Split Pea Soup in Buelton Ca. (also canned) is horrible soup in my opinion. I've no idea how they've stayed in business all these years and I've even gone so far as to call it Soylent Green. ;)
If that's what a crockpot does for SP soup, it makes sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom