Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Finally, I'm posting the oatmeal cottage/cheese pancakes!!!!

This is from the Body For Life book

Golden Pancakes

1 cup uncooked whole-grain oats (non-instant)
6 egg whites
1 cup low fat (I use 2%) cottage cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 packets sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 cup mixed berries

Lightly coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place over medium heat.

In a blender combine oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar substitute. Blend on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.

Pour batter - about 1/4 cup at a time, into hot skillet. Cook pancake until bubbly on top and dry around edges, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden brown, about 2 more minutes.

While pancakes are cooking microwave maple syrup until warm, about 20 seconds.

Place a portion (e3-4) of pancakes on 2 separate plates. Top with warm maple syrup and mixed berries. (I have only used blueberries with this - one time I put them in the batter at the very end and mixed by hand.

These are really good and really filling - just be sure and cook them long enough or they will be too gooey in the middle.

Thanks Elf for posting the pancakes..Am I dreaming or can you buy egg whites like egg beaters or could they be one and the same??
Dove :oops: :oops:

Dove,

I don't know, Egg Beaters might make whites only. We do it the old fashioned way - I wish I knew someone that needed all the yolks we throw away - it's a shame!

OK Elf and Dove....got something you can do with those 6 yolks. ;) This is my Great-grandmother's butter cookie recipe. We make these at Christmas, Valentines day(hearts with pink glaze), St. Patrick (shamrocks with green glaze), etc....... I think I'm gonna have to change my name to COOKIEMONSTER...seems to be my favorite thing lately :oops: .

Butter Cookies

2 sticks butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon water
6 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3-4 cups flour

Beat butter. Add water and sugar, cream till light and fluffy. Add eggs yolks and vanilla, mix well. Add salt, baking powder and flour, a little at a time till workable. (somewhere between not sticky and not hard) Roll out portions of dough on floured suface or between wax paper to 1/8" thick. Cut out using cookie cutters. Before baking you can brush with a little egg white and sprinke with colored sugar or bake plain and glaze. (recipe below) Bake at 350 for 6-10 minutes. Watch...they can burn fast.

Glaze:
Beat 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1-2 tablespoons milk and a few drops of almond extract. Tint with food color if wanted.

Notes: When I first recieved this recipe from my grandmother the instructions were to wash the butter under cold water...nobody knows why but we changed it to butter with 1 T. water.

cook - I just made a recipe where I washed the butter in a bowl of cold water - I mean about 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the one and only time I have ever done that and would you believe I can't remember what I made? Life is the pits when your mind goes!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks so much for the recipe - Butter cookies are my favorite!!!!!! I'm sure you can but I'm going to ask anyway - Can I freeze these?

Why would you wash butter :?:

The cookies do sound great..a few weeks ago I would have been in the kitchen making them but my Dr. is no fun at all..he tells me I don't like sweets anymore...or potatoes or rice or bread.. :mrgreen: :evil:

It had something to do with getting the butter really cold through and through I guess - then you wring it out really well. Why can't I remember what it was? It's kind of scary.... :oops:

My mom makes them in November for Christmas and keeps them in a tin in the basement or cool place. They seem to keep forever. And they get better with age. (This is the version with sugar sprinkles, not sure how long the glaze one last) I make them as a present for a sister-in-law who hids them under her bed for a month so she can eat them slowly without sharing :LOL:
About the butter washing....the rumor in the family is that Great-grandma dropped the butter and when Grandma was watching her and writing out the recipe she wrote down everything....who know :roll:

LOL on the butter washing - sounds like when my business partner and I were up in New York at a sushi bar - the chef was laughing at us because we were trying to figure out one of his recipes - I was writing as she was telling me - it went like this:

OK, soy sauce......ginger.........a piece of tuna.....chop, chop, chop,.... add salt, chop.....chop, chop, chop.......pause.....chop, chop - well, it was funny at the time :roll:

You're craking me up Elf..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ....could you be related?
You know you could be on to something with the thought that it makes the butter colder....makes sense in this recipe. Its supposed to have flaky layers in the cookie...like a well made pie crust would have...and pie crust needs really cold butter.....hmmm...could be...maybe I need to change the recipe back to washed butter :?

Have you noticed strange things happening to you since you did change your great-grandma's recipe? I know if I changed my mother's Macaroni Salad recipe to anything other than what was written she would make my life miserable - even from where she is now! :shock: And that's what I tell other people who think THEY can change it - fine......go ahead.....but don't blame anyone but yourself when bad stuff starts happening to you...... :|

OK Elf, share the Macoroni salad recepie unless it is already on here.

Washing butter sounds pretty squishey..

Dove said:
Elf,
Any idea on the Carbs etc in those pancakes :?:

Dove, there's a fair amount of carbs in it. According to my cylinder of oats, 1 cup contains about 54g (216 calories) of carbs in it. There's also a small amount from the cottage cheese. That said, keep in mind that the yield of this recipe is two servings. I myself did the body for life challenge, and I eat these every morning. While it sounds like a lot of carbs, these are the carbs that are very healthy. Not the refined carbs (basically any form of sugar) that are responsible for causing obesity. Just watch your portion size, and you will have nothing to worry about. :D

An other note I wanted to add is that I've found that those cooking times for the pancakes are way too long. I like my pancakes a little "rarer" or moister so I only cook for MAX 2 minutes on the first side. The second side I only cook for 1 min 30 sec.

Back
Top Bottom