REC - Burritos Con Queso (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I was looking through my recipes for Yakuta's Southwestern Themed Lunch and came across one of my old favorite recipes that I have forgotten about. I usually double the salsa and omit the salt in the recipe. If you like the salsa hot and spicy increase the jalapenos and chili powder. :)

Burritos Con Queso

Salsa

1 can (1lb. 12 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons finely chopped canned jalapeno peppers
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper

In a medium-sized bowl, place tomatoes, onion, green chilies, jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cover. Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Burritos

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
8 flour tortillas
1 lb. Monterey jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 10-inch skillet, heat butter over moderately high heat. When butter is hot, add chopped onion and saute for 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat.

Add undrained green chilies and refried beans to onions in skillet. Stir mixture until thoroughly combined. Separate tortillas and spread each tortilla with 1/4 cup bean mixture.

Top bean mixture on the tortilla with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons of the salsa. Fold one side of tortilla over the filling to the center, the fold the opposite side over. Repeat with remaining tortillas until all are filled and folded.

Arrange burritos in a single layer seam side down in a 12x8x2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese down the center of the burritos. (This much can be done up to one day in advance. Cover and refrigerate the burritos until you are ready to bake them.) Place dish of burritos in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese melts and the burritos are thoroughly heated. Remove from oven and serve with remaining salsa. Makes 4 servings.

Sierra, another masterpiece, I see!

These sound great, especially how you can prepare them in advance - I love that!

Thanks so much for posting!!!

Thanks, jkath. :) I had to dust the cobwebs off this recipe. I have not made it for a couple of years. I just might have to make it this weekend. What I like about this recipe is it's simplicity. The perfect work night meal.

Back
Top Bottom