Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Tips for the Home and Kitchen... (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/tips-for-the-home-and-kitchen-12139.html)

Dove 06-21-2005 03:56 PM

Tips for the Home and Kitchen...

How about adding a new forum like " Tips for The Home and Kitchen"
Marge~Dove

Edit: Alix here. Lets try to only post the tips here, if you use one and like it please send a PM, some Reputation points or a Profile note to the poster. Thanks!

Dove 06-21-2005 10:08 PM

How to core a strawberry with a straw

Things like:

Poke a plastic straw through the pointed end of a Strawberry to core and take the green top off..:smile:

Dove 07-01-2005 03:46 PM

Tips on confectioner's sugar, baking potatoes, and bugs

CONFECTIONERS' SUGAR FROSTING TIP
To color and flavor confectioners' sugar frosting, add a bit of
unsweetened powdered drink mix. Orange and lemon are especially
tasty. Mix in until you get the desired color and flavor. The results
are delicious!

BAKING POTATOES TIP
Potatoes soaked in salted water 20 minutes before baking will bake
more rapidly

TIPS ON BUGS
To keep ants away put either flour, coffee grounds or pepper in cement
cracks
Put a fabric softener sheet through your belt loop to keep mosquitoes
away from you
Don't have any wasp spray? Spray wasps and bees and hornets with
cooking oil spray. It immobilizes them and they eventually die
It is said that if you rub baby oil on your exposes skin like lotion -
you won't get bitten by mosquitoes
To keep weevils out of your dry food, place a bay leaf in each
container

crewsk 07-01-2005 04:15 PM

Skin-So-Soft and rubbing alcohol keeps mosquitos away

Marge, I don't know about baby oil but I do know that if you mix equal parts Skin So Soft & rubbing alcohol in a bottle, shake it well & rub it onto skin it will protect you from mosquito bites. I got that tip from a cousin who was used it while in the Marines. Also, when you give your dog a bath, in the final rinse, add a capful or 2 of Skin So Soft to the water & it helps repel ticks, fleas, & mosquitos. Don't do this for cats though!! BTW, great idea!!:smile:

PA Baker 07-01-2005 05:20 PM

Keep a double-crust pie from spilling over with straws

To keep a double-crust pie from cooking over, place cut pieces of drinking straws in each vent hole in the top crust. I usually cut a straw into thirds or quarters. Believe it or not, the straw only melts to the top of the crust--it doesn't melt onto it or in the pie at all! Once you pull the pie out of the oven and it cools for a few minutes, the straw pieces can easily lift right out!

jkath 07-01-2005 08:40 PM

Hairspray kills spiders

Spiders breathe through their skin, so if you spray them with a firm holding hair spray, it will kill them. This way, the fumes aren't as toxic to your family and pets as regular bug spray, and you aren't squishing them with your shoes!

middie 07-01-2005 09:29 PM

Hairspray Also...

removes ink stains. spray it on the stain a.s.a.p. and wash in cold water.

luvs 07-02-2005 02:26 PM

to remove ink:

if you get pen ink on your skin or a smooth surface, rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball or alcohol swabs will remove it in seconds.

PA Baker 07-02-2005 03:31 PM

To remove fruit juice stains from clothing

Carefully pour boiling water over the stain, allowing it to slowly drip through the fabric into the sink. Continue to do so until stain disappears.

kitchenelf 07-02-2005 05:18 PM

The new Oxyclean wipes

I will have to say that they have saved the day for me and several other people in restaurants. Soy sauce comes right out of white pants and dries perfectly clean. Red wine comes out of shirts, etc. These things are GREAT to carry with you. If I don't use all of one I put it back in the foil packet and fold it up tight.

Dove 07-05-2005 10:27 PM

Freezer Storage Times

FREEZER STORAGE TIMES

Recommended maximum storage times for foods sealed and/or wrapped well
then frozen and held at 0 degrees F:

Bacon, Hot Dogs 1/2 to 1 months
Beef Roasts and Steaks 6 to 12 months
Beef Stew 2 to 4 months
Biscuits and Muffins, baked 1 months
Bread, Pita and Tortillas 4 months
Butter, Margarine 6 to 9 months
Cheesecake 1 months
Chicken, whole 12 months
Chicken 9 months
Citrus Fruit 4 to 6 months
Clams 3 months
Cold Cuts 1 months
Cookies, baked 6 to 8 months
Egg Substitutes 12 months
Fatty Fish 3 months
Fresh Herbs 2 to 4 months
Frosted Cake, baked 2 to 3 months
Frozen Dinners 3 to 6 months
Fruit Pies 4 to 6 months
Fruits, except citrus 12 months
Ground Beef 3 to 4 months
Ham 1 to 2 months
Ice Cream 1 to 2 months
Lamb Roasts and Chops 6 to 9 months
Lean Fish 6 months
Liver 4 months
Lobster 2 months
Milk 1 months
Pasta, fresh and homemade 2 months
Pecan Pie 6 months
Pizza 6 months
Pork Roasts and Chops 3 to 6 months
Pork Sausage 4 to 6 months
Quiche, baked 1 months
Quick Breads 1 1/2 to 2 months
Rice, cooked 6 to 8 months
Sandwiches 1 to 2 months
Scallops 3 to 4 months
Shrimp 3 months
Soups 2 to 4 months
Turkey Parts 6 months
Turkey, whole 12 months
Unbaked Cookie Dough 6 months
Veal Roasts and Cutlets 6 to 9 months
Vegetables 8 to 12 months
Waffles 1 to 2 months

Information courtesy of The Reynolds Kitchens

Andy M. 07-07-2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
Has anyone ever heard of putting a bounce fabric sheet in a pot that has been burnt? I was told it worked however I tried it and there wasn't much improvement.....what am I doing wrong??

Cover the burned on food in the pot with ammonia. Cover it and leave it outdoors overnight. (the smell of the ammonia will be very strong indoors) Next morning, it should clean up pretty easily.

luvs 07-07-2005 03:52 PM

wrap a lemon half in a little square of cheesecloth before squeezing to keep the seeds out of the juice.

an extra toothbrush in the kitchen is great for cleaning box graters.

a nail brush scrubs out a colander very nicely.

kitchenelf 07-07-2005 08:53 PM

Grilling Asparagus

Quote:

Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
MIL just thru up and thru the roaster away......what a woman!

YES - the other sounds better :rofl:

Buy some longer skewers and pierce the asparagus through the sides until there is about 6 or so on the skewer - when ready to turn turn the whole thing over - no more dropping in the fire!!!! Soak skewers for about 30 minutes in water first.

cats 07-09-2005 06:59 AM

Regarding the Avon Skin so Soft stuff, we buy the Skin so Soft soap to use when camping. It seems to really help to keep mosquitoes off, except when they are really busy little buggers, and then we also use Avon's bug repellant, with sunscreen, which works great.

Secondly, regarding the freezer times for foods, I have to disagree with the safe freezer storage for bacon, i.e, 1/2 to 1 month. I have kept frozen bacon, double wrapped, in the freezer for easily up to 6 mos. and have never had any type of problem. It's a pork product, like chops, and if they can safely stay frozen for the 3-6 month length of time, why should not bacon stay safe?

One of my favorite kitchen clean up tips is to use lighter fluid on a cotton ball to easily (unbelievably so) remove any grease spatters on appliances. For example, if you have any grease spattering on microwave door above your stove or the pad area gets greasy, it will wipe clean in a flash with lighter fluid, just don't use near heat or flame. Also great for removing black skuff marks off floors and sticky residue from product labels on bottles/jars, etc.

lindatooo 07-09-2005 12:02 PM

I keep a chopstick in my sugar and flour bins - very handy for leveling off the measuring cup.

This is a great thread!

KAYLINDA 08-02-2005 12:51 AM

A paper plate makes a great funnel for many dry ingredients! Just bend at one end to fit the hole..and it's large at the other for pouring!

Chopstix 08-02-2005 09:30 AM

Can't twist open a jar cover made of tin? Tie a rubber band twice around the rim of the cover and try again. Or, place one rubber glove between the cover and your hand then twist open.

This is a tip for eating shrimp: Ever have trouble getting all the tail meat off a cooked shrimp served with tail shell on? Use spoon's edge to pin down the tail at the point where the meat inside connects to the tail. Then fork the exposed meat down (half-inch away from the tail shell) and pull meat away.

middie 08-05-2005 09:42 PM

Safety Pins

my boss just told me this.
she said get alot of safety pins
and pin all pairs of socks together
when you throw them in the washer.

not a bad idea actually

kadesma 08-05-2005 10:53 PM

burned on food

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M.
Cover the burned on food in the pot with ammonia. Cover it and leave it outdoors overnight. (the smell of the ammonia will be very strong indoors) Next morning, it should clean up pretty easily.

You can also pour white or any vinegar in a burnt pan with stuck on residue add some water, and bring to a boil, let it go checking every few minutes to see what has loosened up...
after about 15 min, everything usually comes off with a scouring pad and just a little elbow grease.:lol:
kadesma