Guess What Is in the Dictionary?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Guess What Is in the Dictionary?!?

What do frankenfood, Texas Hold 'em, Joe Schmo, and barista have in common? They are just four of the fun 2,000 new words added to the dictionary.

American English is a grand language for the simple reason that it's the most flexible language in the world. New words and usage are coined at a phenomenal rate, and they have just been given added legitimacy by The New Oxford American Dictionary. New entries range from agritainment (agricultural entertainment, which is tourists visiting farms) to zorse (cross a zebra with a horse and you get a zorse) and reflect the preoccupations of American culture, the times we live in, and the pluralism of our nation. Here are just a few examples.

Words in the News: al Qaeda, antiterrorism, frankenfood, Gitmo, intelligent design, Falun Gong, bunkerbuster, faith-based, hate crime, John F. Kerry, and greenwash.
Modern Times: 9/11, Amber alert, reality TV, taikonaut, smart mob, supersize, Texas Hold 'em, air rage, safe room, conflict diamond, fake bake, death metal, sizeism, smokeasy, trustafarian, mash up, permatemp, and barista.

Computers and Technology: adbot, blogosphere, bluetooth, wiki, phishing, malware, infoholic, addy, hacktivist, dataveillance, snert, megapixel, code monkey, lurker, and RFID.

Funny "ha ha" (and Funny "strange"): buckle bunny, cankle, clueful, cone of silence, FUD, ginormous, labradoodle, snivel gear, shojo, unobtainium, noogie, Joe Schmo, ka-ching, Raelian, and prairie-dogging.

Meanwhile, competitor Merriam-Webster asked visitors to its Web site to list their favorite words that aren't really words. And you have to admit that these non-words really should be words!

Top 5 Favorite Words (Not in the Dictionary)
1. ginormous (adj): bigger than gigantic and bigger than enormous
2. confuzzled (adj): confused and puzzled at the same time
3. woot (interj): an exclamation of joy or excitement
4. chillax (v): chill out/relax, hang out with friends
5. cognitive displaysia (n): the feeling you have before you even leave the house that you are going to forget something and not remember it until you're on the highway

I like ginormous & confuzzled...gonna use those. I'll bet we can come up with a few.

I was surprised "insurgent" wasn't mentioned in words in the News. I've had to look it up a few times, & read it's one of a few of the most looked-up (did I just make one up?) words.

When my brain wakes up, I'll try to come up with some. Me likee (I like that word) your word, Mud.

mudbug said:
Thankee, mish.

I'm surprised "empower" wasn't on any of the lists. I'm so sick of that word in all its forms.

Me Likee! Thankee, Mud. :)

If we look up (whatiz face?) Tony Roberts?, we'll probably find it cross-listed :LOL:

Hereyago - Champain

def. A hangover from drinking too much Champagne.

Last edited:
Tony Roberts? Isn't he the guy who was in some of those Woody Allen movies?

likee your new word. not to be confused, however, with shampaign (def. alcohol-free bubbly)

mudbug said:
Tony Roberts? Isn't he the guy who was in some of those Woody Allen movies?

likee your new word. not to be confused, however, with shampaign (def. alcohol-free bubbly)

ha ha - shampaign :ROFLMAO:

Oooohh, you're right. Trying to think of that guy on all those infomercials gabbing about being empowered...yada yada yada (there's another one).

mudbug said:
Oh yeah, I know the guy you mean. I think his name is something like Tony Roberts.
And isn't yada yada the language spoken by Yoda?

You're killing me, Mud.

Noooo. That would be yoda, yoda, yoda. :LOL:

Sueflay

def. Term used by Food Network when Mr. Flay has run amuk with grilling utensils.

A flash in the Pan:
(i.e Bennifer)
Synonymous with flambe.

mudbug said:
lickety split: a really gooey, melty, deelishus banana split

eaten without utensils. :LOL:

Oh, Mud, I love your avatar. Are those lobsters or crawdaddies (sp? duh)? Did you make them yourself & take the pic? Looks YUMMY-O. (Ugggh Rachel expression, sorry.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom