Chimney starters rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consul

Senior Cook
Okay, so while I was buying a new supply of charcoal from the local neighborhood megamart, I came across a shelf with some chimney starters for charcoal. At less than $9, I picked one up.

I am completely sold on the superiority of chimney starters over all other methods of starting charcoal.

25 minutes and two pieces of newspaper later, I had a super-hot, evenly burning pile of coals that I was able to spread out with no hot or cold spots anywhere. I love it.

Once this chimney starter disintegrates, I'm getting another one. :cool:

Dh has been using them for years! My dad made a prototype back in the 60s using a coffee can. Too bad he didn't apply for a patent. :(

I love mine too. But does anyone else notice if they cut down how long your charcoal lasts? Like maybe it gets them too hot too fast and they burn out quicker?

The Weber chimneys will last longer than the rest.

that's the one i bought rainee, in sears for about $15. it gets glowing hot, so i would imagine the quality and thickness of the metal is important on how long it will last.

ekim, they do cut down on the time the briquettes last, but think of it that when you rush and put your food over coals that are not completely ash covered, you could be getting fumes from the lighter fluid and unburnt coals on your food. the chimney ensures all of your charcoal is fully lit, and you don't get a funny chemical taste on your food from fluid starters.

I love these things. I have a very big charcoal grill and have 4 chimneys. Once I put those in the grill I usually start about 3 more about 1 hour later and have them ready to add for the next round of cooking. No lighter fluid taste - just charcoal!!! Mine usually takes about 20 minutes for the flames to start shooting up - that's when I dump them.

Yeah, the lighter fluid taste in my brother's food is why I bought my old one in the first place. The trade-off is more than worth it to me. I just wish the coals lasted longer, that's all.

Ekim said:
Yeah, the lighter fluid taste in my brother's food is why I bought my old one in the first place. The trade-off is more than worth it to me. I just wish the coals lasted longer, that's all.

If you think the lighter fluid taste is bad try what my X brother-in-law used to do (he is a painter) because he was too cheap to buy lighter fluid - he used naptha or paint thinner!

I've never noticed that charcoal started in a chimney starter burned up any quicker than charcoal started with lighter fluid if it was allowed to burn down the to same point - which usually took a few minutes longer.

Michael in FtW said:
If you think the lighter fluid taste is bad try what my X brother-in-law used to do (he is a painter) because he was too cheap to buy lighter fluid - he used naptha or paint thinner!

ughhhhh, that must be disgusting michael.
on a camping trip when i was young, we tried to use a little gasoline because someone forgot the lighter fluid. not only did we eat mostly raw chicken (we didn't realize how long it took to cook. it was burnt outside, raw inside) but it was petrol flavored to boot. yuk.

just before i bought my chimney, i started to use a new lighter fluid from duraflame. it is made from citrus oil, and kinda smells like orange cleaner. it doesn't smell too bad when it's burning, and there's almost no lighter fluid taste on the food.

Back
Top Bottom