Melting carob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi everyone,

Has anyone come across a really good way to melt carob? I know it has such a tendancy to be lumpy and gritty once it's melted, but I am determined to use it in place of chocolate in more recipes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Jkath,

Thanks for the past thread, I quite liked the history of carob.
I'm going to keep looking for the best way (through trial and error) to melt carob and keep it as smooth as possible. I'll post about it if I have any lightbulb discoveries or any really "lumpedified" carob horror stories :ROFLMAO:

The obvious answer is to treat carob like chocolate ... use a double boiler ... over simmering (not boiling) water so it melts gently.

If it get's any water, or anything cold, in it - it could get grainy or seize.

A tablespoon or two of heavy/whipping cream (cream - not 2% low or no fat milk - real cream) or butter might also help with the grainyness - added to the pot before you start heating it.

I'd try to use carob powder whenever you can. You can 'melt' it with a little warm water to get a more 'liquid' consistency.

Melting Carob

I've been searching for some advice on melting carob and finally just started experimenting. I found that adding some shortening (maybe 1/4c per bag) to the chips helps it become more liquid. It was still a little gritty and I wasn't able to drizzle over the dog treats I was making, but it does melt. Hope this helps the next carob explorer!

Back
Top Bottom