Gift Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
My best friend is having an engagement party that my parents are hosting. I wanted to give her a little basket as a gift that her and her fiance can enjoy that night. I wanted something different than the typical cheese type thing. I am going to put in a bottle of Procecco with some Bellini mixtures that I saw on everyday italian and a goat and cream cheese spread with toasted baguette.

I am looking for a few other ideas for the basket that will not break the bank, but that will be something special. It can be desserts, condiments, appetizers, ect. I do know that her fiance really likes Mexican food. Anybody have some good recipes or ideas?

Zesty Pimento Cheese Spread

This is a great thing to put on triscuits and it makes enough that you can keep half or more of it!

Pimento Cheese

8 oz. sharp yellow cheese
8 oz. white cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt (I do not use this much salt--maybe half or just over half--depends on your taste)
18-25 shakes of Texas Pete or
*1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper and 9-12 shakes of Texas Pete
20 slices of jalapeno pepper, chopped fine
1 golf ball size spring onion, chopped fine
8 oz. mayonnaise
4 oz. drained pimento, chopped

Mix and let sit overnight in refrigerator but 3 days is BEST!

*I use the mixture that is underlined except my favorite hot sauce is Chilula and I use that in place of the Texas Pete. I think Frank's hot sauce would be good too.

You can never go wrong with chocolates. Really good chocolates. All you need is a tiny box--enough for them to feed each other a couple.

How about a small tin of dried fruit and nuts?

nuts, toffee, candles, maybe a bottle of wine. a gourmet candy store here sells these caramel filled, chocolate-dipped, decorated pretzels and they are pretty and delicious. bet you could find them if you looked at a good candy store.

LOL - you can sure make two categories out of us that have posted here - the savory people and the sweet people! lol It's quite interesting.

I still say some kind of unusual cheese would be nice. Do they have to drive far? It seems like refrigeration isn't an issue.

Yep, wine, cheese, grapes, peaches, a nice rustic bread, braunschwiger (I probably mutilated that spelling) if they like it - there's still nothing like that stuff for a good indoor picnic.... And for a condiment maybe.....mmmmmm.......ummmmmmm..... ..possibly.............. whipped cream? :angel:

Well the procecco that I mentioned (I might have misspelled it), is an italian champagne and the bellini is basically blended frozen fruit with a little simple syrup. My idea was for them to put a little fruit in the champagne glass and top with the champagne. I assume that the fruit mix will need to be kept cool. My best guess was to freeze it and then if it wasn't melted enough by the time they get home they can just throw it back in the blender.

I figured the sweet with the fruit and the savory with the cheese covers both area's so I am up for anything. Chocolate is a good idea. I might end up buying something, but I was wanting to make something homemade if anyone had a great recipe.

Thanks for the ideas.

abj,

I'm with icymist, recipes..print out one of your favorites or a mexican one for your friend then pick up most of the recipes ingredients, bag them and tie with a pretty ribbon and attach the recipe card..that could be something they can use later. Make it something that you don't have to refrigerate..I'm sure they will enjoy it and appreciate your thoughtfulness.
kadesma

The recipe is a great idea, unfortunately she already has all of my recipes. My mom has every single one of hers and my grandmothers recipes on the computer so one Christmas she printed them all out and made us all recipe books. All of my recipes that I have liked and decided to add to my book I usually email to her.

I am kinda leaning torwards chocolate covered strawberries or pretzles. The basket will be indoors so I don't think the chocolate would melt.

white chocolate! It taste better on the pretzels. Milk chocolate taste better on the strawberries. imho

Back
Top Bottom