does anyone else over-buy groceries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
sorry, i botched the title.
the question was, 'does anyone else over-buy groceries?' you know, like when you open the cupboard to get the salt and 2 cases of ramen noodles fall out?:LOL: that's one thing my Mom buys and buys. i loved ramen noodles my senior year of high school and she started buying them in bulk but hasn't stopped even though that was 7 years ago. i like them now, but can't eat a case of them a month, lol. she does that with other things, too, and i'll write about those in a minute.
anyhoo, i do the same thing as her. i buy tons of cheeses. tons. right now i have cream cheese, 2 wedges of French pyreness (my favorite, yum....), saga bleu, bleu cheese crumbles, 2 kinds of brie, land 'o lakes white American cheese, several blocks of cabot's seriously sharp, a block of sharp cheddar, one of extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella and also string cheese, horseradish cheese, hoffmann's cheese, goat cheese, possibly some shredded mild cheddar if there's any left, and i think some ricotta cheese. and i'm running low on cheese, lol.:-p time to stock up!
cereal's my other issue. i buy so much cereal and i hardly even eat any. there's special k, 2 or 3 boxes of rice krispies, corn pops, i think some marshmallow pebbles unless they went stale, kix, bran flakes (i don't even eat bran flakes anymore- why did i buy the bran flakes?), frosted shredded wheat (i don't eat shredded wheat and i'm pretty sure my Mom must've brought that home, but it's on one of my shelves for some reason), and more. boo-berry (or was that frankenberry?) and froot loops were in there at last check, too. i don't eat froot loops.
and let's not even get into the deli items. oh, my.....

my parents have this same problem, definately. my Mom buys so much canned chicken noodle soup and tomato soup it's ridiculous. we have enough macaroni and cheese to last a lifetime. nobody in the house eats these things except for once in awhile when we have tomato soup with grilled cheeses or macaroni if we're too lazy to cook. oh, and my Mom and those cheese singles. she'll buy 3 packs of singles even though we don't eat them. they'll be in the drawer for months and then get thrown out and then she'll buy more.:blink:
my Dad buys excessive amounts of meat, seafood and poultry. there isn't much you couldn't find in our freezer in the way of protein. we do not lack for protein in my family, that's for certain! if a butcher says, 'your Dad was here today', i'm just like, 'i know....' sheesh, i stock up, but he buys soooo much. more than i buy of cheese.:LOL: and him and those herbs and spices. 2 cupboards packed full.
and we have more frozen and canned vegetables than you could imagine. at least they eat those.
does anybody else do this?

Last edited:
Some folks buy in excess if they once went without food for a time. Or if they didn't have the money to buy what they wanted or needed. I buy alot of things I don't need at the time but when it's on sale and I know I will be using it then it's the time to buy.Sounds like you really go overboard tho.

thumpershere2 said:
Some folks buy in excess if they once went without food for a time. Or if they didn't have the money to buy what they wanted or needed. I buy alot of things I don't need at the time but when it's on sale and I know I will be using it then it's the time to buy.Sounds like you really go overboard tho.

i have always had all the food that i wanted and needed and i still buy too much, lol. i think i picked the overbuying up from my Parents. they always ate well, too, though.

Last edited:
My mother is like that with groceries...

My wife and I just went to visit her last week in NY and I gotta tell ya, when I opened the fridge, I could barely see the light in the back. It was so full of STUFF that it's a wonder the cold air can even circulate.

And don't get me started on the cabinets and pantry... Ay Carumba!

I think it's something my Grandmother put in her daughters because my Aunt is the same way...

I do remember growing up and there was not enough food. This happened a few times after I got married and had my own family also. Yes, I do buy too much at times and my cupboards, fridge and freezer are full. I try to use up what I can (hubby is a truck driver and only home on weekends) by cooking stuff up for hubby to take on the road. I do know that I am always fearful of a very hard time when we won't be able to get groceries and by having so much now, I don't worry about it as much. Does that make sense?

yup, I stock up on dried pasta on sale, I buy brown rice is bulk, and I buy BIG cans of plum tomatoes and chopped clams in broth etcetc for soups stews chowders etc
I also buy some spices in full ounces and share the cost with friends...saves money on paprika and saffron and seas salts for example.

I buy things that I can get for free when there's a sale plus a double coupon, etc, whether I need them or not. This is why I currently have 12 tubes of unopened toothpaste.................!

Actually, more Vons than Ralphs (like the produce section better.....well, that, and they have a Starbucks), but they both put it on sale almost weekly!
At least I can say I'm always minty fresh! :)

Places like Sam's Club and Costco were MADE for over-buying stuff... :)

And then of course, for me, there's the beer store.... :wacko:

John

you BUY beer, John? I thought you only made it!

I can imagine you in a beer store would be like my boys at Toys R Us.

jkath said:
you BUY beer, John? I thought you only made it!

I can imagine you in a beer store would be like my boys at Toys R Us.

It's strictly for research purposes!! Yeah, yeah, research purposes!!

And I do a LOT of research...:whistling

John

I try to stockpile non-perishables when they are on sale at a good price but only buy refrigerated items for the current week's menus. I used to over-buy meats, but it would kill me to throw it away after it sat in the fridge for a week and a half. Since I have the basics available at all times, I try to make out the week's menu on sundays and stick to it.

If I had a spare freezer I would definately stock up on meats, poultry. Since I dont have a spare, I just buy what I need for the week. This time of year I buy alot more fresh produce since it's in season and much cheaper.

My husband has a tendency to over-buy on certain products. For example, he'll decide that we don't have enough Worcestershire sauce when there are two bottles in the pantry (there are two of us!). Capers is another one. He's always been this way. But the kind of over-buying you're talking about strikes me as having a background as many above have mentioned .... needing reassurance that you'll never be hungry again. Or perhaps there are other things she wants, but cannot afford or feel comfortable buying, but you can always spend money on food. I over-buy fresh foods when in season because they are so ****ed good. I usually manage to find something to do with them. But, like others have said, look into her background and you'll probably find a source.

lol, claire, not all things have some deep-rooted psychological meaning. i just love variety and having what i want right there at my fingertips. i don't like having to dash off to the store when i need an igredient RIGHT NOW, so why not keep all that i need on hand, and then some? as i've said before, i've always had what i wanted and needed, and maybe THAT'S my problem. unless you count when i wanted fruit roll-ups instead of an apple but my Mom said i had to have the apple, or when my doctors put me on NPO sometimes (no food by mouth.) in fact, i was made to eat more than i wanted to both by my Parents and my elementary school principal growing up.

my Grandpa went QUITE hungry during the depression and he doesn't over-buy at all.
i over-buy a bunch of things, like several cases of notebooks when they are on sale and pens when they are on sale, tons of them. but all the things i buy get used. i buy too many clothes, too. i grew up with tons of clothes. but before you know it, the clothes i buy need to be replaced cause my bony knees wear them out, and those pens get lost or run out of ink. notebooks get filled up. food gets eaten. spices get used. wine gets drunk, gum gets chewed, paper towels get crumbled up and throw away, soap runs out, film turns into pictures, socks get holes in them....
so i love knowing that when something runs out or wears out i can just go dig a brand new one out of the closet.
and that is all i have to say about that.:)

Last edited:
ronjohn55 said:
It's strictly for research purposes!! Yeah, yeah, research purposes!!

And I do a LOT of research...:whistling

John

dude, we need to open a research institute. can i be the first test subject? (unless it's that control group/placebo crap)

i hate to waste food, especially meat (those critters gave their lives so we can live. anyone who wastes meat should be re-incarnated as a feed animal). so i will only overbuy stuff that will last a long time, hopefully to be used, not thrown away. conspicuous consumption, and all other types of wasteful consumption is a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom