Does this butcher knife look scary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I have this knife at home given to me by my father, who was a butcher at the time. Every time I pull this knife out, my friends always tease me because they think it's so big and looks like a weapon.The brand is Forschner, I didn't have time to take a digital picture, so here's a link to https://eaglemountainknife.com/ButcherKnives.htm, it's the Cimeter Knife 40539 10" curved .

I don't think the knife looks freakishly big, but don't know if it's because I've worked in a butcher shop...:angel: Does anyone else have a knife this size??

I believe it is used to carve up larger pieces of boneless meat. For example, to carve steaks from a sirloin, tenderloin or ribeye.

Yes, this is what I use it for at home. I figured everyone has this kind of knife at home, and it doesn't seem THAT out of place to me. It's a great knife.

htc said:
Yes, this is what I use it for at home. I figured everyone has this kind of knife at home, and it doesn't seem THAT out of place to me. It's a great knife.

I agree. I use it it to cut steaks/chops from larger pork and beef cuts. It has a sturdier blade than the slicer you'd use on the Thanksgiving turkey.

What a great thing to have from your Dad - you're asking the wrong group of people if a knife looks scary - but I can imagine to most people that looks like something they shouldn't handle!!!! lol ----and actually probably shouldn't :chef:

That extra-large tip is designed to give the knife more force when "hacking" through something with a little bone, like chicken. They are also used for cutting chops, steaks, etc.

The only knives that scare me are thin, flimsy serrated knives (read: Ginsu). I have a couple serrated knives, one at home, and one at work. I've come close to amputating my left thumbtip once with one of those knives. I treat them with respect, and keep a wary eye on what the blade is doing. PeppA has a really thin, serrated knife that's used as a paring knife or utility knife. I refuse to use on safety issues.

Your knife may be 10" long, but that doesn't bother me. I have a 10" chef's knife that has fast become my main knife. I'm teaching myself to use TWO 10" chef's knives at once, in one hand, to help quickly chop large quantities of stuff. We have a 12" chef's knife in my work area. We also have a 16 or 18" double-handled knife that's used for cheese and large items. I have a 14" hollow-ground slicer for carving. Most of the cooks I work with have knives ranging from 10" - 12". So for us, that size knife is normal.

I don't think it looks scary, but my wife would. She got very nervous when my cleaver arrived in the mail, especially when I said I was going to sleep with it under my pillow :angel:

All knives are scary for me. My daughter always teases that it isn't a meal until mom slices her finger.
One night we had another couple over for dinner. I actually left a meaty piece of my thumb on the cutting board when I was slicing vegies for salad. We had all had a few drinks, and no one seemed to be able to find the first aid kit. The whole time they were looking, my girlfriend, a regestered nurse, kept hollering, "Hold your hand up....keep the pressure on!"
I eventually ended up with a couple of band-aids holding the tissue together, wrapped with Bounty paper towels and duct tape. Did the job.

It's the fine chopping that gives me problems, but I am finally getting better. I've learned from watching the food channel to curl my fingers under and rest the top of the knife against my knuckles. And I go VERY slowly.

On the other hand, I have used my handy dandy chief's knife to chop innumerable chickens, process venison, carve individual steaks from whole ribeyes, portion whole sirloin tips...etc.

I wonder, in my lifetime, how many onions I've chopped?!! How many potatoes I've peeled?

:wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom