ISO Chicken Tortilla soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middie

Chef Extraordinaire
i went out to a restaraunt and had a small bowl of this soup. it was sooooooo good. so if anybody has a recipe for it i hope you're willing to share :mrgreen:

Wish I could help you. Someone on here gave me a fantastic recipe for this, and I've used it since. Maybe it was Allen from michigan? Not sure. It's late and I dont have the recipe on hand right now but if you need it, let me know, I can dig it up tomorrow. I love making this soup on weekends for lunch, my hubby loves it too. Our new favorite soup:)

middie, here is a version that I have made before. If you don't like the soup spicy I would use less of the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.

Tortilla Soup

16 oz. can tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 tablespoons snipped cilantro
½ teaspoon sugar
8 cups chicken broth
1 ½ lbs. cooked chicken breast, diced
2-3 chipotle peppers and adobo sauce
Shredded Monterey jack cheese
Avocados, chopped
Tortilla chips
Sour cream

In a food processor, combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and sugar. Cover and blend until smooth. Put mixture into a large pot with chicken broth, chicken, and chipotle peppers. Spoon a little of the adobo sauce cautiously into the mixture for extra flavor. Use adobo sauce sparingly has it can really increase the heat of the soup. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Crunch up tortilla chips and place in individual soup bowls with avocados and sour cream. Ladle soup over and serve immediately. Makes 8-10 servings.

Gee, you all are going to make me blush!

On a side note, if you REALLY want to try a treat, get ahold of some smoked chicken (or make it, like I do), and use the smoked chicken instead of roasted chicken. The flavor is unbelievable.

Middie,

Sorry to be so late in replying but here is the recipe someone gave me on here (no offense to Allen, because his sounds great too, and I thought it was his recipe, but it isnt) Will the original poster of this recipe please say who you are? :)

Chicken Tortilla Soup

In a large saucepan, saute:
1 chopped medium onion (about 1 cup) and
2 minced garlic cloves (about 2 tsps.) in
2 tbsps vegetable oil
over low heat for 5 minutes

Add:

1 four ounce can green chilies, chopped
1 15 ounce can italian-style stewed tomatoes (chopped with their own juice)
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp lemon pepper
2 tsps worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin ( I omited cumin, dont like it)
1/2 tsp hot sauce ( I omited but added red pepper flakes)
Simmer for twenty minutes

In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsp flour with 1/2 cup water and whisk into soup ( I omited the flour and water). Add 1 pound skinless boneless chick breasts, cut into thin strips. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in 1/3 cup non-fat sour cream, salt, pepper to taste ( I omitted this part)

Here is a great tip from the poster of this recipe:

" I like to make my own tortilla chips for garnish. Cut 4 store-bought corn tortillas into 1/4" strips. Lay them on a baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes." What I did was cut them into strips, then throw them in a pan with a bit of oil to brown them, then immediately top the bowls of soup with the hot tortilla strips ( they sizzle when you put them in the bowl lol)

Anyway, I love this soup, so does my husband. Thanks to whoever it was that posted this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom