Mama's Red Velvet Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Mama's RED VELVET CAKE

Cake:
2-1/2 cup flour
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk (add 1 tsp. vinegar to regular milk to make buttermilk)
1-1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 oz. red food coloring

Frosting:
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese
1 stick margarine
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cake: Mix liquid ingredients for cake. Beat 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients. Beat 2 more minutes. Bake in 3 layers at 350 for 30 min.
Cool then frost with cream cheese frosting.

Frosting: Have cream cheese & margarine at room temperature. Combine ingredients, mixing until smooth & of spreading consistency.

Raine, my MIL made a wonderful Red Velvet Cake too, but she used a different type of frosting on hers.

red velvet cake
(makes one two-layer cake)

1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter & sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour, cinnamon, cocoa and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add gradually to creamed sugar, alternating with milk.
Dissolve soda in vinegar and fold very carefully into batter.
Stir to combine, but do not overmix.
Pour into prepared baking pans and bake about 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger. Cool in panson wire rack for five minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.

Chef's Notes: To make sour milk, just add one tablespoon of white
vinegar to a cup of milk. This is in addition to the vinegar used in step four of the recipe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

White Velvet Icing

(makes enough for one two-layer cake)

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup cold water
2 sticks butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Using a wire whisk, thoroughly combine flour and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly clear. Cool two hours.
Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add butter mixture to flour mixture. Beat until light and fluffy. Use to fill and frost cake.

I know it sounds nuts, but I like to add a little bit of paprika to the cake mix when making a red velvet cake, just a pinch though! It seems to liven everything up, much the same way that cinnamon does in many sweet recipes. I use the sweet Spanish paprika when I can find it.

That makes sence to me, ICadvisor! I love chocolate dishes with a pinch of cayenne, so I'm sure that the paprika provides the same sort of effect!

PA if you (or anyone :)) like your chocolate a bit on the wild side you'll probably find this link intersting it is to a company that produces many different types of spicy chocolate. I first saw it featured on the Food Network, and had to check it out myself!

http://www.cowgirlchocolates.com/

(Don't you just love their logo!)

Back
Top Bottom