Cooking short ribs question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I am trying to get advise for my bf's friend. He overcooked short ribs and asked how the best way to cook them so they aren't overcooked. I personally don't have the experience that most of you probably do on this cut of meat. I'm not sure how he ended up cooking them, but my guess would be by oven or most likely grill since he doesn't have a smoker. Does anyone have good advise, or a fool proof way on cooking short ribs (in oven or grill) ?

abjcooking said:
I am trying to get advise for my bf's friend. He overcooked short ribs and asked how the best way to cook them so they aren't overcooked. I personally don't have the experience that most of you probably do on this cut of meat. I'm not sure how he ended up cooking them, but my guess would be by oven or most likely grill since he doesn't have a smoker. Does anyone have good advise, or a fool proof way on cooking short ribs (in oven or grill) ?

Crockpot works well for me. I've done them with a barbecue type sauce, and with veggies etc. added for soup, both slow cooked in a crockpot. But I admit to not having had a whole lot of experience with them. :wacko:

Short ribs do very well in a slow-cooking situation. Braising as you would a pot roast will give you good results.

Not sure you'd get good results grilling them. Slow cooking as you would babybacks might be good.

You can grill them if they are sliced thin (1/4-1/2" thick) and if you cook them no more than medium doneness. Over high heat, it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes per side. If they're thick cut short ribs, than braising would be the best way. There are tons of recipes out there, just do a search on google. Regardless of whichever method you use, the only best way to not overcook them is to not overcook them.

I do mine in a crock pot, also. Actually, I'm making them tonight.

I season them with salt and pepper, brown them well on all sides. I slice up 2 large onions and cut carrots into 2 inch pieces. I put 1/2 of the onions. and the carrots into the bottom of the crock pot. Add one layer of ribs, the rest of the onions and finish up with the rest of the ribs.

Add 1 1/2 cups of beef stock or water (I use the stock) and 1 beef bouillion cube ( I use Knorrs) a bay leaf or two and 1 tbsp. of tomato paste. Season with more salt and pepper and cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 8-9 hours longer. This is delicious. It is my sister, Dottie's technique and I think of her every time I make it.

It's hard to actually overcook short ribs if you are braising them.

He must have cooked them with dry heat and they came out really tough (this is a guess).

The toughness is more from the cut of meat than from being overdone.

That's why most recipes for short ribs call for braising.

abj, here's another recipe for using short ribs:

Flemish Carbonnade
4 to 6 servings

2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
(I use 4 to 5 short ribs instead)

4 large onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 bottle of beer
2 T flour
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T light or dark brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1/2 t dried thyme leaves

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (optional garnish)

Preheat oven to 350. Place large ovenproof Dutch oven or deep-sided skillet with tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Brown short ribs evenly on all sides in a little oil, working in batches if necessary, for a total of about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

To drippings, add onions and garlic, scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon, until onions are softened - 8 to 10 minutes.

In medium bowl, whisk together the beer and flour until no lumps remain. Stir in vinegar and brown sugar to combine. Add this mixture to softened onions in skillet, return beef to pan, add bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil.

Cover and transfer pan to oven until beef is very tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
Make mashed potatoes or boiled egg noodles to go with the resulting gravy.

Garnish with parsley if desired.

Here's one we like;

3 pounds short ribs, bone in
1 Pint Mackesons Extra Stout
1/4 cup Molasses
Chipotle (we use about 2 tbsp. but you can adjust according to heat pref.) chopped
2 large onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Allspice
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 250 degrees (yes...250)
Put 1/2 of onions and garlic in bottom of roasting pan. Spread out short ribs. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over ribs. Cover with remaining onions and garlic. Cover with foil and place in oven for 3 hours. Great with potato pancakes and good slaw.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom