Lentil-Spinach soup (Dahl Palak)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunflower

Cook
Here's simple recipe of lentil-spinach soup (Dahl Palak) - my mother's recipe :)

Red lentils - 1/2 cup
Spinach - 3/4 cup
Tomato - 1 medium size chopped in small chunks
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Curry powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Black mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Water

Wash and boil the lentils covered in a pan for 20-25 minutes and set aside. Separate the boiled water from the lentils and keep aside.

In a medium size pan, heat oil and fry the mustard seeds for a minute. The oil should be really hot when you add mustard seeds. Now add the lentils, spinach, tomato, chilli pwd, turmeric pwd, curry powder and salt. Mix the lentil water and regular water to make 2 cups of water and pour in the pan and let it boil for 15 minutes on low flame.

Serve hot with white rice.

In India, housewives don't really measure the quantities of spices they use in a recipe by teaspoons and tablespoons . It's all mental calculation and passed over to the daughters in the family. I tried my best to write down the measurements in this recipe. One important thing to remember in this recipe is that the Lentils and water ratio should always be 1:4.

Looks wonderful Sunflower, thanks for posting it! I would say a gutsy soup like this requires a lot of naan bread (make mine full of garlic and corriander) :)

I rarely measure things as well when I am cooking a (non baking) recipe I have made before, perhaps this trait is universal among some cooks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom