Grilling Indoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLemonSong

Assistant Cook
I have a round grill pan, but I was wondering if there might be something I could simply place overtop of my burners that would act as a mock-grill indoors. I live alone in an apartment with no balcony or patio.

I don't want something like the Foreman grill, but I'd like something similar, although with only less than 3 feet TOTAL of counter space electric might not be the best option.

Anyone have any comments/thoughts about this "dilemma"?

You probably already have something, but not for on top of your stove. Open the stove and look inside. See the broiler? That is actually an upside down grill.

Something like this, maybe?

at8154b.jpg

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/21at8154.html

Well, your round grill pan is already one solution - it just probably only fits over one burner.

GB also stated the best alternative to that ... use your broiler.

Only other suggestion, if you're looking for something that fits over two burners, is a Lodge Cast Iron Reversible Double Burner Grill/Griddle - it's 10.5x20 inches ... has a grill on one side and a griddle on the other. I got mine at WalMart and I think it was about $40 (it's the LodgeLogic preseasoned model). Of course, there are other makes of double burner grills - that are nonstick stainless steel or aluminum ... but they are not reversable and will cost you more.

Last edited:
Thanks for jogging my semi-dead brain cells Ironchef .... I forgot to mention another good reversable grill/griddle ... it's cast aluminum, made by Nordic Ware ... runs about $30 (I found it on Amazon.com originally but have seen it a couple of other places for more). It's lighter, a little larger, less expensive, and would heat quicker than the Lodge cast iron grill/griddle.

There are literally dozens of double-burner grill pans that are not reversable .... but they are generally coated with non-stick and cost a lot more than either one of these.

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but have you seen the Weber portable gas barbequeues?

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=web386001&store=&catid=4283
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=web396001&store=&catid=4283

They should both fit on your counter when you want to use them, and most importantly there's the added bonus that you can take 'em with you to the park on a sunny day :chef: (yeah, you still won't get that smoked charcoal flavour, but it's closer than a grillpan...)

tknaps said:
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but have you seen the Weber portable gas barbequeues?

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=web386001&store=&catid=4283
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=web396001&store=&catid=4283

They should both fit on your counter when you want to use them, and most importantly there's the added bonus that you can take 'em with you to the park on a sunny day :chef: (yeah, you still won't get that smoked charcoal flavour, but it's closer than a grillpan...)

YIKES -- you can't use a propane grill indoors! :ohmy: :ohmy:

That's very dangerous.

Last edited:
Ditto what jennyema said! You can't use butane, propane, or even charcoal indoors unless you don't care if you die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning! If you read the instructions that come with any of these (even a bag of charcoal) they will tell you NOT to use them indoors!

The ONLY exception would be if you had a fireplace and cooked over a fire in the fireplace. Of course, if you had a fireplace, you wouldn't need anything other than some wood.

Last edited:
In the 'brat hot tub' thread, someone mentioned having and liking the Aroma Health Grill, so I finally found one at a decent price and bought it. I've used it once for marinated boneless chicken breasts, and they turned out great. It does not have deep grill grates, but it cooked very nicely nevertheless. I was looking for something for winter time grilling, that would not splatter like the Foreman grills or the stovetop grill pans, and this one has a nice tempered glass lid. Of course, there's no comparison to the taste of the charcoal grill, but it looks like it will do exactly what I wanted it to.

BC

The stove top grills are fine, unless you have a smooth glass cooktop like I do.

I LOVE my "George Foreman" grill. It beats the broiler and stove-top grills big-time.

Best indoor grill is the broiler, featured in most ovens. You want to crack the door on the oven when broiling so that you get "broil/grill" and not "steamed."

I broil/grill on an oven broiler all the time. A full sized-kitchen range oven, and a smaller, counter-top oven, broiler.

Distance from food to heat elements is crucial. When I do London Broil, a thick steak, I move the meat on the grill down to the lowest point on the broiler -- slow grill.

Beef, medium rare should run about 140F internal temp. That's about 11 min. on each side in a countertop broiler. That's London Broil -- a flank cut and thick, really thick, like 2".

More options --

I have a gas grill. It's an "Everyday Living" which I think is a Kroger house brand. It uses 16.4 oz butane cartridge tanks. These tanks are about 22,000 BTU. The grill is 11,000 BTU. So about two hours on one gas cartridge.

Weber makes a "Go Anywhere" grill which is the same product for about three times the $$$.

These work off the back of the tail-gate -- at the beach, I don't do football games.

But you can take these grills to the park and set up on a picnic table.

Technically, there are "smoke boxes" available for grills. Cast iron boxes for smoke chips. You put the chips in the box and put them on the grill. They smoke and in the process smoke the food -- BBQ, rather then the more traditional "grilling."

Best investment for grilling is a meat thermometer. You can find thermomters that give you "oven temp" -- which are extremely useful in smoking. You want about 200 F for smoking for oven temp. Beef medium rare is 140 F.

140 F for "medium rare" on beef. I upset waitresses when ordering a steak. "I want it 135 F. internal temp."

Grilling is a great means for meat prep. You can use a broiler -- or a portable grill (NOT INSIDE!!!). But ample options for a grill out in the park, off the back of the vehicle in the parking lot. Grill on the patio, deck.

Don't do a "grill" indoors -- even with the windows open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moving on -- grilling.

Jeez, my favorite food . . . grilled, boneless pork ribs, or some sort of beef (London Broil).

Grilled tomato based sauces (BBQ) tend to burn on the grill. Sorry -- I basted in tomato base sauce on a grill and let it char. Somehow I like it.

Pork ribs. I've been partial to tossing them in a Pyrex casserole dish, covering with tomato based sauce and "grilling" in the oven for an hour or so. (Use your meat thermometer!)

In a pan, chops, ribs, etc, in sauce aren't really "grilling." But they come out moist, tender, and tasty.

I do London Broil -- a beef favorite -- brush with tomato base sauce, lowest level on the grill/broiler. I expect the oven temp is in the range of 200 F. -- which seems not to char the sauce too badly.

Grill the beef to 135 -- 140 F. "medium rare."

I'm a bit spoiled on BBQ -- Here's the pix of the "rig" out in front of the barn.

Attachments

• BBQ4.jpg
    BBQ4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 216
Try this.............

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001XASWQ/qid=1123983972/sr=8-5/ref=pd_bbs_5/102-7358111-8018526?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846

I just purchased one and we love it (had it about 2 wks)!!! My husband did not think that it would sear steaks, but guess what....it does!!! It has a sear setting. When you go to Amazon.com, read all the comments made by consumers like us. I love that fact that it is a 4 way appliance, plus the fact that it does not take up much counter space when closed!:rolleyes:

Pamela

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom