English cookie...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefcyn

Cook
About 20 years ago, I traveled through England and Wales, and in various rest stops on the highways in little convenience stores and the like I bought little packages of cookies. They came in a tube shaped package, and were only about 8 or 10 sandwich cookies in the pack. The unique thing about them was definitely the flavor--the cookie part was like caramelized sugar--like an overcooked chocolate chip cookie without the nuts or chocolate, and the filling was similar, sort of a burnt sugar taste, or maybe slightly coffee flavored, It's been a while, but I remember the taste of the cookie. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about and are they still available anywhere--like in the US? I have a Britich tea shop nearby and the owner may be able to get them if I know what the name is. They are not HITs, I've tried them.

Do you remember the color of the package?

How big was it?

Living in an Irish community, local places and even the Super Stop and Shop carry lots of English and Irish food imports. I'll be on the lookout for them.

Thanks you all for your replies!

Sadly, I can't remember anything about the color or design of the package other than it was a tube, it was 20 years ago after all! My memory of the taste may be off as well, but I think not.
Ishbel, the nicecupofteaandasitdown site is wonderful, and I will undoubtably spend some quality time there!
But I think Amber has led me to the cookie! It looks like either the Fox's Golden Crunch Creams or perhaps the malted milk creams may be the ones--I'll definitely look for them and see.

What a terrific forum this is! Thanks again!

Kingston biscuits are divine, but Australian only. They are basically an Anzac cookie (like an oatmeal cookie) with a chocolate cream filling and are very yummy.

Fox's golden crunch creams are lovely too....... I miss biscuits, I don't eat them any more. I like the Fox's ginger creams the best. Good luck in your hunt.

Back
Top Bottom