Anyone here crochet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven

Sous Chef
Okay, I am, by every definition of the word, a "beginner". My step-grandmother taught me and my best friend how to crochet when we were 13 (And before you ask, yes, I'm a guy :LOL: ) but I never really kept up with it. I could never follow those crazy patters LOL! ( * dc 2 st skip 1 st repeat from * :shock: )

Anyway, I've been picking up new patterns on About.com and just finished a baby blanket for my neices coming attraction :mrgreen:

img_152774_0_d63b9192d6acf2944c0f53fd4b9108e4.jpg

It's not fancy, just a single crochet with a 6 double crochet (dc) shell pattern for the border, 32" x 40" using 11 2.5oz skeins of Lion Jiffy Yarn in "Coral Gables" color and I knocked it out in 4 days but had a lot of fun with it. :mrgreen:

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
Oh wow that is very impressive!!! My mum could crochet beautifully but cause she died at 61 I nver got around to learning from her.

Beautiful!

I know one stitch... I can repeat that one stitch over and over and over and
over. And when I'm done I have a large square that I can pass off as a blanket...but,
I can only fool people who love me awhole lot.

pdswife said:
Beautiful!

I know one stitch... I can repeat that one stitch over and over and over and
over. And when I'm done I have a large square that I can pass off as a blanket...but,
I can only fool people who love me awhole lot.

Seriously, that is all the "field" of that blanket is. A simple "Chain stitch" done over and over and over for 30 inches in one direction and 40 inches in the other.

The border is reeealy simple too. It's just a Double Crochet stitch done 6 times in the same hole :mrgreen: which makes it "fan" out like a shell (called a 6 dc Shell Stitch). Close it with a single chain stitch in the next hole, then skip a hole and start the fan again

img_152803_0_76b60f72ee5b7dea53853aa69ff60902.jpg

~ Raven ~

very nice work Raven. I've tried to crochet a few times in the past but just don't have the hand cordination to pull the yarn tight enough to make the object look right. But I can do plastic canvas and I do a really nice job making things.

Well, I'll give it a try next winter when
I get the yarn out again. I'd like to do something
a little fancier!!:):):)

I learned to crochet when I was a child. My Greek nanny was a whiz at it. When my children were small, I did loads and loads of crochet - blankets, matinee jackets etc. But I haven't done any for many years.

Nice blanket!

okay i don't know how to crochet though everyone else in my family can. raven for something simple is really is a pretty blanket.

it's a beauty, raven. it will be a keepsake and a treasure for the baby and generations to come.

I can crochet, but man, don't ask me to knit! I did a baby blanket that looks a whole lot like that one Raven. Right down to the colour yarn. LOL. I also do all my own dishcloths with cotton yarn. Simple pattern. I do one row single stitch one row double stitch then finish the edges just like that with the fan. 24 stitches with a #6 hook.

I went to the pdswife school of crochet :) I can do a blanket, just, but nothing else really. I would like to learn to do it properly, I fancy some nice lacy shawls and jackets that are so fashionable at the moment. Since losing weight I have become a fashion queen!

I used to crochet long, floor length sleeveless 'coats' in the very early 70s... think 60s flowerpower... I thought I was the bees' knees!

My mum and my aunty used to crochet Barbie outfits in the 70s for my cousins and I. One camping holiday they made us a Barbie outfit per night!!

I crocheted a bed spread years ago...took me 10 years..LOL..Itr was 4" squares..done in the popcorn stitch..when two were put togather they formed a diamond of the popcorn stiches..each one took 2 or 3 hours to make, I have about 1000 houres in it but have never used it. It's too danged heavy! Weighs about 20 pounds or so.

I have been making kitchen scrubbies out of 1/2 yard nylon net cut into 21/2 " strips. Gave them as gifts (freebies) to friends. I've made about 30 of them.

Now I wear a wrist and thumb brace on my left hand...when it feels better I'll be back at it again.(dummy that I am):LOL:

Back
Top Bottom