Welcome home, Discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
Okay, for those of you that know me, you already know that I'm a space geek. For the rest of you that don't know me, well, I'm a space geek, what can I say? :LOL: Anywho, I love y'all enough to relate this story and why today was special to me, I hope you don't mind me blabbing!

I remember January 28, 1986 like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old and lying in bed with the flu and the Challenger was on the pad with steam flowing all around it. I was going nuts and jumping all over my bed, pretty good for sick kid! I watched the the Challenger go up on my 12 inch screen and then I saw the monstrous bloom of white smoke with the SRBs going off in random directions. I knew immediately that something was wrong and I remember Houston hailing Challenger with something like, "Challenger, this is Houston, please respond, over," over and over and over again. A few days later my grandpa gave me a Jason Empire 700mm x 60mm telescope for my birthday and although it was bittersweet, I eventually managed to see the rings of Saturn and the Big Red Spot on Jupiter.

February 1, 2003 I woke up and turned on CNN and caught the live broadcast of a few bright points of light trailing thin lines of smoke crossing a light blue sky. I heard a commentator saying, "I think something might be wrong. What's going on?" I knew immediately that the crew of the Columbia was dead and that the tiles were to blame, nothing else could do that. Later on, I heard Paul Harvey quote a Reverend who described the in-flight breakup video like this, "Tears across the face of Heaven."

I listened to the descent and landing while I was at work this morning and got teary eyed when I heard, "Nose gear down," I jumped up and down again, just like the kid that I am. Welcome home, Discovery!!! :cool:

DampCharcoal

Here's a little present for you.
Did you ever take your own picture?
228self_portrait_resize_-med.jpg

Im glad they are back safe. I hope that thing never lifts off again. We need a new vehicle to get into space. And I strongly feel it should be funded from companies. I feel the government should only be in, money-wise, 25%. Its too costly. I havent seen any good out of the billions of dollars the US has spent for this flight. I understand that the space program, as a whole, employs more than 200,000 people. And that in the right company..... the right industries, it is good for the economy. But I dont want my tax money involved.

I feel it would be really really fantastic to discover more of the ocean. I want MORE sushi choices!!! :mad:

A Nice Story!

Your story touched me. I could almost feel the "little person" in you! My husband is the same...and we both felt relief when we knew the shuttle made it home safely.

Sush, I'm with ya 100% as always! Not so sure about the sushi choices, tho! Have you SEEN what swims around down there? :sick: :mrgreen: Kaylinda, I really was a kid again yesterday, if you and your hubby felt the same way, y'all are good in my book! :cool:

Z, that's an awesome pic. I can only dream of being able to do that. Thanks, man. :cool:

Hey Damp -

That photo took me a couple of minutes to figure out (convex reflection and unique orientation) but I thought it was way cool. The image is available on NASA's web site (it's big)... I'm currently using it as my desktop image.

Z.

Back
Top Bottom