Columbia Restaurant Black Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
l pound black beans
2 quarts water
3 medium onions chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt

Pick over beans and soak overnite in 2 quarts of water. Cook beans in same water in a 4 quart pot on medium heat.

Meanwhile in a skillet, saute onions and green peppers in olive oil until light golden. Add crushed oregano, bay leaf, cumin and minced garlic, also salt and pepper. Cook slowly until beans are tender and vegetables are cooked.

Serve over rice with chopped onions ( I like scallions on mine).

licia, this looks like a nice, straightforward recipe. I'm going to print it out and try it. I've tried some others that were posted on this board, and so far, they've all come out very good. Thanks for posting this recipe! Sandyj

The only think I do differently is the quick method of cooking the beans (boil for about 5 minutes and soak for 1 hour) drain the beans and start with fresh water. There are no digestive problems if this is done.

YUM!!!! I love to make a pico di gallo to my black bean soup along with a small amount of firmly packed white rice, topped with shredded mozzarella and more spring onion - then the soup on top.

Nice recipe!!!!! THanks.

I have just the ladies in my SS class over once in a while and make a big pot of the beans, a big pot of brown rice, white rice, onions. The guests bring salads and bread. We have a wonderful time and it isn't too much work for any of us.

licia, when we lived in the Tampa/St. Pete area way back when we loved the food at the Columbia Restaurant. In Ybor City, right? Thanks for this recipe. What's the quantity on the green peppers?

2 green peppers in strips - did I totally miss that? sorry!! They have a restaurant in St. Augustine also. That is where I go. My mom and dad used to go to the one in Ybor City.

I didn't realize there was more than one. The Ybor City restaurant was beautiful - lots of handpainted tiles on the walls - and with a lovely interior courtyard.

licia said:
The only think I do differently is the quick method of cooking the beans (boil for about 5 minutes and soak for 1 hour) drain the beans and start with fresh water. There are no digestive problems if this is done.

Yes, me too. The soaking water contains all the dissolved oligosaccharides which cause flatulence :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom