Gas 2.79 a gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeppA

Assistant Cook
AllenMI came home and told me something I couldn't believe. Gas has gone up to 2.79 a gallon! Up from 2.44 a gallon. When will this end! I have to take my kids to a WIC appointment tomorrow. I hope I have enough to make it there. I'm on E right now. We can't afford gas anymore.

It may sound weird but you guys are getting a deal!!! Im sorry but I went and got gas today and paid 95.5 a litre....which is $3.82 a gallon!......I wish we could pay .70 cents a litre again!

I welcome higher gas prices. Perhaps some of my fellow americans will sell their gas guzzlers and buy real cars. SUV's have become a status symbol and all that's about to change.

Fuel efficient cars are out there. People just never bought them because gas was so cheap. This could also encourage car manufacturers to invest large amounts of money into producing more efficient engine designs or alternative fuel sources.

Lastly, like tancowgirl2000 said, no matter how high gas prices get, America still has the cheapest gas prices around. Like I state before, the problem is that we all drive SUV's (unlike most other countries). Ok, we don't ALL drive SUV's. Point is that we don't usually consider gas mileage when buying cars.

Our gas prices range from $2.48-$2.58 for regular unleaded. No SUV here, I wouldnt waste my money on those gas guzzlers. I've yet to buy oil for my furnace, I'm afraid to even know what fuel oil costs now. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I have always chose the smaller cars over the big ones, no matter what the price of gas. Which was only about 30-32 cent a gallon when I started driving. I don't try to follow the pack (buying a SUV because everyone else did). I don't run the AC most of the time.

I doubt most people will get rid of their big gas burners (we're (Americans) are too arrogant and greedy). They will just keep paying for higher gas.

middie said:
i never nor will i ever buy an suv. waste of money to me.

I agree! I love the look of SUVs but... the cost to buy them, the cost of gas and the huge amount of room they take up just isn't worth it to me. :)

Diesel in my area was $2.69 the other day, but i was on my to Port Huron Mi to go fishing, and had about 5 gal. left in the truck so i thought i'd wait till i was there to fill up.

I paid $2.429 and my total was $86.72, which i am very thankful because my truck and wifes SUV gets great milage (20+ MPG), and this will last me quite a long time!:)

Last edited:
Our price for standard unleaded is currently $1.26/litre. As there are 3.785 litres in a US gallon, it would be equal to $4.77 a gallon.

To further convert aussie dollars to US dollars (so as to compare oranges to oranges), it would equal $3.65/gallon at the current exchange rate.

I was just about to post the same thing!!! I paid $1.25 a litre at Shell today and didn't have a shopper docket unfortunately! (We can get 4c a litre off with a receipt from a Coles supermarket)
You must be in NSW/ Sydney are you Aussie Girl?

It seems to me there is a big misconception about p/u trucks and suv's, and being total gas hog's.:ermm:

No, i am not talking about gasoline truck/suv either because they get 7-18mpg at best, depending on size and towing as well. My diesel Fords get roughly 21-28mpg. That's including 2 p/u trucks (one of which has a lot of power upgrades that i race) and a suv with only loosing a few mpg towing getting about 20-22mpg.

However, i do know of quite a few 4 and 6 cylinder cars/ light suv, that don't even get better milage than i do!:mrgreen:

Dove said:
At the station on the ccorner it was:
$2.69
$2.79
$2.89
and diesel was $3.19

Cali has always been a bit high on their diesel prices, since i can remember. I went out there roughly 7 years ago and if i remember correctly, diesel in the midwest was .89 to 1.14 and 2.24 in Colfax when i really needed to fill up.:(

Mount Gambier, mrsmac. Our prices here are about on par with Melbourne. When Adelaide has a discount war, they are generally 14 - 16c cheaper/litre though:mad:

Dont you just love it though, when the price of crude oil rises, the service station owners are out there raising their cents/litre within the hour. Even though they have near full tanks at last weeks prices.

Altogether different on the rare ocassions when the price goes down though!

Last edited:
Isn't it stupid that prices in a major capital city are the same as somewhere as far off as Mount Gambier?
How funny thats where you are, a girl at work and I were talking about it the other day, she's from MtG and reckons everywhere you go you meet someone from Mt. Gambier!!

Back
Top Bottom