17, male wants to start cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carni

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone.

I'm going to start posting in these forums so I can acquainted with cooking. My whole life, I really haven't had any experience cooking ANYTHING. I have made Ramen for myself and even successfuly crafted Mac' and Cheese this afternoon for my lunch. Other than that, my skill is really lacking.

So I hope to get better at cooking and at the same time have fun posting on this forum.

Thanks

p.s. anyone know where I should get started?

carni welcome to dc !! trust me you'll learn
ALOT here !! start scrolling and reading
through all the forums. most are very
imformative. if you have any questions please
feel free to ask.

Welcome Carni. You really did find the best place to learn about cooking and to have fun doing it. As far as where to start, tell us a little bit about what you like to eat, what you don't like to eat, what kind of tools you have to work with (oven, stove, grill, pots, pans, etc.) and I am sure we will be able to give you some great advice!

Gday and welcome.

I got bitten by the cooking bug when I was 18 and three years later its only increased in ferocity. Middie gave some of the best advice, just start reading.

By reading recipes, information about ingredients/techniques, you quickly learn how to prepare/cook a variety of ingredients, and also you begin to learn what flavour goes with what food. It also gives you ideas (about dishes/flavour combinations) that you may not of thought of by yourself.

The second best thing you can do is experiment and dry a whole whost of different foods and recipes. Soon enough you will be able to look in a fridge/pantry and not see just a random bunch of ingredients, but the components of a sauce or other dish.

Just remember it is pretty hard to make a dish taste horrible, flavour wise that is (the 2 easiest ways to do this are over-salting and over-chilli/peppering it). Mainly its basic techniques that you have to master.

The utensils I can use are pots, pans, and a wok because that's what I have in the kitchen and that's what my parents usually use. I don't think there's anything I can't cook, it's just that I don't have any of the ingredients because my parents never buy anything but the same stuff. I might even have to go to the nearest supermarket to stock up.

What I like to eat? Anything. But the reason that makes me want to start cooking is because I hate my mom's cooking sometimes. :-p

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the group.

I'd start with easy dishes. Scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham, tuna salads, French toast, soups are pretty easy too. I have an easy recipe for Split pea that I'd be glad to give you. Just ask!

Trish

pdswife, you are right. Breakfast is a good place to start. Pancakes, waffles, frittatas, etc. are easy to make and take minimal ingredients. Most of all remember to have fun when cooking. Here are a couple of simple recipes.

Bacon Pie

12 bacon slices, crisp cooked
1 cup Swiss cheese
1/3 chopped onion
2 cups milk
1 cup biscuit mix
4 eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper

Spray or grease a 10-inch glass pie pan. In the bottom of pan layer crumbled bacon, cheese, and onion. Combine other ingredients and pour into pan. Bake at 400º for 35-40 minutes. Check center for doneness with toothpick. If using a 9-inch pie pan, reduce milk to 1 ½ cups, biscuit mix to ¾ cup, and eggs to three. Note: Extend baking time 10-15 minutes, if pie has been refrigerated.

Sausage and Green Chile Frittata

1/2 lb. pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brown sausage in 8-inch castiron pan. Add onions when sausage is almost done. Drain sausage/onions and return to pan. Add green chilies to pan. Mix well with onions and sausage.

Beat eggs and milk together until frothy. Add salt, pepper, and cheese and stir well. Pour egg mixture over the sausage, onions, and green chiles.

Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until eggs are set.

Makes 4 servings or 2 large servings.

I'm definately going to try out the scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham because that's all I have in the fridge - tons and tons of eggs. I'm just going to experiment and go with the flow which is what I've done in the past with mushrooms and eggs. Hm. Thanks for the ideas.

Also, what exactly is a tuna salad? I've never had that before. Because there is, you know, potatoe salad, then there's regular salad.

pdswife said:
Hi, welcome to the group.

I'd start with easy dishes. Scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham, tuna salads, French toast, soups are pretty easy too. I have an easy recipe for Split pea that I'd be glad to give you. Just ask!

Trish

Tuna salad is generall just a mixture of various ingredients, some examples include:

- finely chopped celery/onions
- mayonnaise (almost every tuna salad has this)
- sour cream
- various seasonings such as mustard powder, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder etc etc

Glad you found us, Carni! Feel free to ask us any questions you have--that's the best way to learn! There are all sorts of recipes in each forum that range from super-easy to more complex so you'll be able to find lots to practice on. :chef:

Well pull up a chair and have some fun. You will learn alot here and there is always someone to answere your questions.by the way, if making tuna salad, use the packaged tuna not the canned. It really makes a difference.

welcome carni! your gonna love it here. i agree with middie.....start reviewing cookbooks.....many are full of loads of cooking tips/suggestions. To save you money....check out your local library.

Also, do you have a family member or family friend who's food you do enjoy eating? Or someone you know really enjoys cooking? If so, I'd approach them and see if they'd be willing to let you hang out every once in awhile to learn some skills/techniques.

You may want to check out your local college and see if they offer any cooking classes.

And finally.........check out the foodnetwork on television.....I learnt so much by watching this particular station. They also have a website .... there are video demonstrations on the site also www.foodnetwork.com

Good luck and know we're here for you.....we're only a few click of they keys away.

Hey Carni, here's a question - what's that "same stuff" that your parents always buy? Take a little inventory and tell us what you find - you might just be really surprised to find out that you have ingredients to make some great things. For example, do your folks buy potatoes? What colour and shape are they? (that gives you an idea of the best way to cook them) I know you have eggs and there's probably a little oil in the pantry somewhere....if you have these things plus a pan and a stove/oven, you've got the basics to make a fritatta, which is kind of like a pie (really easy, really filling, impressive looking, pretty cheap food). -Sandyj

Tuna salad is a mixture of chopped hard-boiled eggs, canned tuna (drained), Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (just enough to moisten), and a little sweet pickle relish. Mix together and eat on crackers, bread, or stuff in a scooped out fresh tomato.

Try going to this site www.cookingfortherushed.com

It is full of really good simple recipes that are usually made with ingredients everyone has on hand. There are free recipes on here to try out. They change weekly so you should check it at least that often.

A couple of my favourite chicken dishes come from this site. They are quick, easy and my kids will eat them! Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Carni said:
I'm definately going to try out the scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham because that's all I have in the fridge - tons and tons of eggs. I'm just going to experiment and go with the flow which is what I've done in the past with mushrooms and eggs. Hm. Thanks for the ideas.

Also, what exactly is a tuna salad? I've never had that before. Because there is, you know, potatoe salad, then there's regular salad.

Carni, this is how I make my tuna salad. There are 100's and 100's of different ways though.

2 cans tuna ( water packed NOT oil) drained well.
add diced onions
diced celery
diced dill and/or sweet pickles
and some mayo. Mix well.
You can use it on bread or layered on top of some lettuce.

We also maked toasted tuna sandwiches. Add a slice or two of your favorite cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bread is toasty brown. Yummers!

Back
Top Bottom