Special Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I wasn't always one who watched my language. I wasn't always very religeous. I was at one time a young man who knew every vulgar or irreverent word imaginable, and one who was not uncomfortable using them in everyday speech. I was at one time, after all, a sailor.

Those words still float around in my head more than I'd like, so I have a request. The acronym LMAO brings a word in my head that I'd rather not use. ROFL means basically the same thing, i.e. funny, humerous, but without the more vulgar terms. Could we use that acornym rather than the other.

I'm not trying to be preachy, or force my ideals on anyone else, just asking for a favor.

Just a thought. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think I know what LMAO means, I can guess ROTF. I've referred to DH, and I think I didn't say anything bad....here's the question - is there a list somewhere where you can look up what these things are supposed to mean?

I think the suggestion is a very good one. There is a lot of entertainment I don't watch because of the language. There are so many ways of being really funny, really serious, etc without all the "shock" words.

Definitely understand goodweed.

I did this same thing when I was about 17 and trying to quit cussing is just as bad as trying to quit smoking sometimes, and even harder when someone else is still doing it. :)

You've set a good goal, keep it up :)

~ Raven ~

I have a pretty bad mouth right now. When I am at work I have no problem keeping it clean, but at home I need to work on it. Now that I have a daughter I need to think about setting a good example so I will be trying to not swear anymore at all.

You got that right! You don't ever want to be in the position of begging your young daughter to never repeat that word in front of mommy.

Hmmm
Maybe sensibilities are a little less shocked this side of the pond?

I have no problem with acronyms like that one - but I certainly don't like swearing (in the real sense of the word).

Anyway, assuming it is the 'A' in the acronym that offends - we use a different word for that part of the human anatomy, so I don't really have a problem with THAT acronym - Jings, I don't even use it, but now I seem to be fixated upon it.:rolleyes:

I always just say LOL...so no prob.
Not bragging about my age..but I have been around the Navy since WW11 but everyone watched their language around me..I am not a prude by any means but I have always felt that a person could express themselves in a better way.

Except like today when I closed the laundry door and didn't have all of my toes out of the way..........:ohmy:

GB said:
I have a pretty bad mouth right now. When I am at work I have no problem keeping it clean, but at home I need to work on it. Now that I have a daughter I need to think about setting a good example so I will be trying to not swear anymore at all.

GB, I have had to bite my tounge so many times around my kids that it's a wonder that I even have a tounge at all. It pays off in the long run though. I know they'll still learn all those words at school but at least I can be pretty confidant that they didn't learn them from me or hubby.

I never thought we had a problem with vulgarity on this board. Seems to me everyone is pretty civil. I occasionally use LOL, but I'm not even real fond of that. IMspeak is overused, in my opinion, whether it relates to a curse word or not. It surprises me that it was enough of a problem to even bring it up here.

BC

I don't think Goodweed (and please correct me if I am wrong Goodweed) was saying there was a problem. He was just asking a favor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom