Labor day parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
So - do you see Labor day as the 'end of summer', and plan your parties with 'summer' food? Or, as the 'beginning of fall', and serve more fall oriented food?

We always go camping.. so it's hotdogs and dehydrated meals.
This year we're going to the big rodeo and then out to our property
in Eastern Washington. It's in a "planned" community. No houses yet
but, the club house and pool are up and running. It's great. We'll camp
on our lot and spend the day soaking in the sun. Lazy and fun!

As I've said before, I live in a tiny tourist town. Holidays are extra busy here...I've agreed to "mind shop" for a small antique store in town while the owners have family in town. So, instead of a day off, I'll be working - but we usually celebrate Labor Day as "end of summer" with grilled burgers and all the usual side dishes!

When we lived in the Adirondacks, Labor Day was an end of summer holiday. We would do meat on the grill, with some corn on the cob, salads, late tomatoes (yummy) etc. School starts up there right after Labor Day, so it was the official end of summer for the kiddos.

Now that we are in Florida with its seemingly endless summer weather, we do whatever we feel like. No good tomatoes or corn at this time of year down here,at least not where we live.
School started weeks ago. Feel sorry for the kiddos having to study in this heat. ("feels like " temps of 105.)

We're invited to a party this year, and it'll be burgers and hot dogs with everyone bringing a salad or dessert.

We are traveling through out the upper midwest for the month of September, it is going to be wonderful to see the fall colors of Michigan again! We are going to try to see as many State Fairs as we can.

We leave from England on the 30th, fly into Michigan, they ferry across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin, deriving through Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, back to Iowa nipping Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana and back to Michigan, flying back to England on 1 October.

We can't wait!!! = )

Brianschef - they had a rodeo at the Minnesota state fair the year I attended. Hope you can catch that on your tour.

marm, with the weather the way it's been around here this summer, we will probably still be sitting around in our shorts with the AC on until October! However, even if it cools off, Labor Day still means end-of-summer to me. Curiously, it also has always felt like the beginning of the year as well - likely due to lingering haze of student days.

Callie I envy you living in the rockies, I love the rockies, such beautiful views.We usually have a cookout the end of summer. We try and get our outside work done because we know snow is on the way.This year we have alot to finish before the snow flies here.

Brian, your trip sounds wonderful!

I'm with mud--it feels like the end of summer and the start of fall, but we usually make it our last summer cookout of the year (even though we'll keep cooking out). We don't have any plans set yet for this year, but it will involve hotdogs, bugers, lots of munchies, German potato salad, and home made ice cream.:pig:

I have to work. We have a big cookout party at the county club I work at, which will be the same as Memorial Day and the 4th of July. Burgers, gourmet sausages, steaks, blackened shrimp, 3 cold salads, corn on the cob, breadsticks, sundae bar, pies, etc. It'll actually be a pretty slow day, not that busy, with time-and-a-half :ROFLMAO:

We'll be going to "Barnstock" that weekend. We have friends who have 180 acres way out in the boonies, and they hold this camp-out/gathering every year. My husband helps cook the meat...fried turkeys, beer can chickens, smoked loins and fresh hams, wonderful frankfurters and brats from a little German butcher shop...you name it. All the women bring sidedishes and desserts. I'll be taking a big pan of my "Killer Baked Beans" and a couple of gooey butter cakes.
There will be lots of music, a big campfire, hayride, fireworks, and lots of love and laughter. The next morning, we have a campfire breakfast before we go our separate ways. I can't wait!

i'l probably have to work. if not we're going camping. it's your usual "cook-out" type of foods. i really hate to see labor day come. i love summer can't stand winter. it's a very sad time for me.

Everything sounds wonderful! Except for those who have to work! I think most folks do the 'end of summer' thing, but was just thinking there's no 'beginning of fall' celebration; and fall being my favorite season,.............thought it deserved its own little party!

I'm not sure what we're doing yet - last minute; oldest son has a new 'squeeze', so may have them over for - oh, I dunno -sushi, maybe? :mrgreen:

Labour day is a very happy time of year for me because I love the fall and winter. I don't eat tomatoes (except for canned) through most of the year because I just don't think they taste very good, so I really gorge myself at this time of year. There's nothing better than a BLT with fresh, local tomatoes.

middie said:
i'l probably have to work. if not we're going camping. it's your usual "cook-out" type of foods. i really hate to see labor day come. i love summer can't stand winter. it's a very sad time for me.

I'm with you! Winter is yucky! lol!!:)

We were supposes to spend the weekend at my FIL's camper at the lake but some things came up & we're not going to get to.:( I guess we'll just cook out here with a couple of friends & maybe go fishing or something.

marmalady said:
Everything sounds wonderful! Except for those who have to work! I think most folks do the 'end of summer' thing, but was just thinking there's no 'beginning of fall' celebration; and fall being my favorite season,.............thought it deserved its own little party!

That's a good point, marm! Fall's my favorite too. I guess while I don't have any sort of organized celebration for it I celebrate in my own way, pulling out my cool weather recipes and starting to cook up a storm inside after a couple months of running the oven as little as possible.

I LOVE that first day when you have to pull out the heavy blankets and get to put on jeans and a sweater! :)

thumpershere2 said:
Callie I envy you living in the rockies, I love the rockies, such beautiful views.We usually have a cookout the end of summer. We try and get our outside work done because we know snow is on the way.This year we have alot to finish before the snow flies here.

I can really relate, thumper! We've almost got our wood supply in for the winter. Still have to cut, split and stack it. Next we have to get 4 tons of pellets in for our pellet stove. Lots of chores before the snow flies! Up here we usually have snow by Halloween.

PA, I love that time of year, too; but living here on the coast, I'll have to travel up to Elfie and Rainie's territory in the Smokies for those chilly mornings!

It'll be a BBQ at home for us this Labor Day. I love that the grocery stores put so many wonderful cuts of meat on sale for that weekend! I'll be stocking my freezer!

Back
Top Bottom