Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Little girls and chickens... (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/little-girls-and-chickens-14393.html)

Sandyj 08-29-2005 08:33 PM

Little girls and chickens...

Just dropped middle daughter off at University this week end...two down one to go. I've been feeling a little heartsore.....Last night I prepared a roast chicken dinner with all the fixings - I was missing my daughter, it's her favourite meal. She was so busy saying good-bye to all her friends in that last week before d-day, she was hardly home. As I got busy preparing the meal, I was musing about how it seems my girls were only little things just the other day! Suddenly I remembered a Sunday about 17 years ago, when my eldest was 4, and I was busy getting a chicken ready to roast. She was next to me, her head eye level with the counter, chatting away. I had moved over, busy with stuffing or something, and there was a brief silence as she stood staring at the raw chicken, waiting on a plate to be stuffed. And then, a serious little voice, "hey Mommy! I think I found the place where they shot the chicken". ;)

middie 08-29-2005 08:37 PM

awwwww sandy. that's bittersweet. that time will be here for me in only 8 short years *sigh*

tweedee 08-29-2005 10:49 PM

Several years ago when I was about 9 and my brother was about 5 we got together and played cowboys and indians with our great aunts chicken and boy did we give those chickens a run for their life. :lol: :rofl:

KAYLINDA 08-30-2005 12:04 AM

Hearing stories about chickens reminds me of a story my mama told me about being chased around by a "guinea". I guess they can get pretty rough! Just think...soon you will be going to your daughters home for the chicken!

Maidrite 08-30-2005 12:06 AM

I remember Rocking with Anna early in the mornings feeding her a bottle. And when she was afraid Running behind my leg. I became "INVINCIBLE" I could feel the Armour and I knew No One Could get Through Me To Her!:king: :bb: :boxing: :zorro: :bangin: :bash: :ninja: :alien:

KAYLINDA 08-30-2005 12:10 AM

I felt the same way with my three boys...until they became teenagers...then I used them for my armour! lol

kadesma 08-30-2005 06:54 PM

Oh Sandy,

I know how you feel...I had four leave the nest and each one took a little piece of my heart with them...Now my little grandson Cade started kindergarten last tuesday and I still find myself getting things ready to make his breakfast, then realize he isn't coming:sad: ..It gets better, but it hurts like the dickens though. Just wait til that first break in school, and the hug and smile you'll get:smile:
kadesma

Sandyj 08-30-2005 07:00 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! My eldest and youngest daughters have been keeping upwith their sister via instant messaging & keeping me posted (I'm not allowed to hover). My eldest hates that story about finding the place where they shot the chicken, but it's one of my best memories. ;)

Sandyj 08-30-2005 07:04 PM

Oh, and Kadesma, how selfish of me not to say anything about your little grandson going off to kindergarten - how you must miss him! Well, for now, you can still sniff his sweet little boy smell and give him hug when he comes home!

kadesma 08-30-2005 07:21 PM

Not selfish at all Sandy, I know that your heart is in the right place:smile: But, a big thank you for your thoughts.

kadesma

licia 08-30-2005 08:25 PM

My children have been gone several years, but my grandaughter and her son came to live with us when he was 2. They lived with us for almost 3 years. Even now, I find myself waiting for "someone else" to wake up and come to breakfast. They've been gone a year and still this lingers.

Sandyj 08-30-2005 08:53 PM

hey licia, I have all that to look forward to, too (I hope). How absolutely wonderful, though, that you had that exclusive time with your grand daughter and great grandson. -sandyj